Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet get "dull"!?
(30-Apr-2015, 11:53)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(29-Apr-2015, 14:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have left my D800 running for 48 hours non-stop with the volume playing at -33.

Just turned it up and sat down to listen more critically.

It sounds very very good. Plenty of attack on the piano notes and vocals are fabulous. The Stabilant 22 treatment has definitely worked!  Cool

Checked the temperatures these are all in the 30-35 range, with only the Companion showing 35 on the Class A amp. The other readings are all 30-32.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Did you get the same feeling as I did that it just gets better after 24 hours or does it just sound as good as you would normally find it?

My feeling is that it sounds more natural after 24 hours + of continuous playback. This is entirely subjective though and is probably quite a subtle thing. It certainly doesn't sound any worse! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
One more comment on the issue, which will probably attract more flames Smile

If you are using Air as your source, try rebooting (preferably power cycle) your router from time to time.

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(30-Apr-2015, 15:25)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(29-Apr-2015, 14:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have left my D800 running for 48 hours non-stop with the volume playing at -33.

It sounds very very good. Plenty of attack on the piano notes and vocals are fabulous. The Stabilant 22 treatment has definitely worked!  Cool

Checked the temperatures these are all in the 30-35 range, with only the Companion showing 35 on the Class A amp. The other readings are all 30-32.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Did you get the same feeling as I did that it just gets better after 24 hours or does it just sound as good as you would normally find it?

My feeling is that it sounds more natural after 24 hours + of continuous playback. This is entirely subjective though and is probably quite a subtle thing. It certainly doesn't sound any worse! 

Guillaume

For me it's not subtle at all. Maybe it is because lately (actually since I've had my first ever decent speakers) I haven't been home playing music for more than 1 or two nights and then turn it off for another week or two. I wrote on the 7.1.3 thread that I didn't hear a difference with the new firmware but then I had another listening session this afternoon and I have to say it did sound damn good. Because I don't get much time to listen I don't spend time going back and forth to confirm whether there's a difference or not. I just enjoy the time I have. What I don't do though is second guess. If I (don't) hear a clear difference then it's (not) there as far as I'm concerned. For months now, the second night of listening has always been more enjoyable. The harshness that causes listening fatigue is completely gone on a lot more songs than on the first night. It's still there on bad recordings but less so.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-May-2015, 12:00)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(30-Apr-2015, 15:25)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume

For me it's not subtle at all. Maybe it is because lately (actually since I've had my first ever decent speakers) I haven't been home playing music for more than 1 or two nights and then turn it off for another week or two. I wrote on the 7.1.3 thread that I didn't hear a difference with the new firmware but then I had another listening session this afternoon and I have to say it did sound damn good. Because I don't get much time to listen I don't spend time going back and forth to confirm whether there's a difference or not. I just enjoy the time I have. What I don't do though is second guess. If I (don't) hear a clear difference then it's (not) there as far as I'm concerned. For months now, the second night of listening has always been more enjoyable. The harshness that causes listening fatigue is completely gone on a lot more songs than on the first night. It's still there on bad recordings but less so.

I have been experiencing the same phenomena you describe with a dulling of the sound after several hours of playing music on my D250. But what I have done to cure this problem is to restart iTunes and the Air software. My guess is that clocks are drifting in the computer, creating a sync problem which dullens the sound.

By restarting the softwares, the clock resets and the drift are cancelled. The pops and the white noise, described elsewhere is probably caused by the same reason, only continued for a longer period of time.

Br Björn
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
...maybe I should add my setup. I am using a iMac connected with a CAT7 cable to an Airport Extreme. From the Extreme the D250 are connected through another CAT7. Playback software is iTunes and Air in ETH, set to 24/96, as default.

BR Björn

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden