Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet in a state of chaos
(27-Oct-2015, 00:16)Manoet Wrote: sleach said:
It would be great if a devialet rep could chime in every now and then to provide timely reassurances, updates and quash or confirm rumours.

Having played 'corporate' for over 45 years I'm curious how anyone might accomplish their fiduciary duties working for Devialet at a straw position being our rep without disclosing anything but what Devialet specifically signs off on as ok, when ok. Would that be news, interesting or just old hat? How fulfilling would that be for us!?! How fulfilling is it now!?! The rep would get old pretty fast 'round here. I can't see any Dev rep offering more here than Devialet offers publicly anywhere/everywhere else. And if he did, even once, he'd be gone! Its an impossible position! What Devialet wants you to know, you already know or will know when they deem fit. A rep cannot change that, would not even if he could without written permission to cover his corporate/contract NDA. Until/if Devialet signs off on some snippet of info there's nothing else for public dissemination.... PERIOD!

I understand your point, but I think there's a big difference between disclosing commercially sensitive information and just taking part in user discussions, and in practice it can be applied productively.  Also, I don't think it's necessary for a Devialet employee to officially act as a customer representative to benefit the forums.

The Sonos forum is a good example: as I expect you know, various Sonos employees take part in that but there is a strict policy that they provide no information about new products or developments.  Nevertheless, the engagement of Sonos as a company in the forum gives continuity between user-user and user-vendor discussions (such as customer support), with knowledge being shared in both directions.  It also helps to keep discussions on track technically, and prevents too much "us and them" animosity against the company.

The mere sense that "someone is listening" -- and equally importantly, taking notice -- would be a very welcome change of attitude from Devialet.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Linn's another good example where various staff write on the forum - speaker designer Philbo springs to mind. They're not really pushing the company line & it's all fairly unofficial (though I'm sure they're told to be careful what they write) but are helpful explaining technical stuff etc. and just engaging socially.
Then you have the Uptone guys on Computer Audiophile etc. who are actively engaging with users to try and improve the product, which appears to be working very well.
Over the time I have been on this form from what i remember various people from various companies have come on and contributed. So why not Devialet.
My gut feeling is the same as a few of you above, it is growing too quickly and they are struggling to cope.
As for the customer service i feel that they are probably way under resourced and there is a lack of thought and logic in much of my communication with them.
I hope they get it sorted as it is a brand we have all bought into and we need it to survive and flourish
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
As I've previously stated; Devialet has choice, can be anything they choose value-wise. I didn't make them they way they've chosen to project their insensitive/arrogant image to us. But over the time I've been here its certainly gotten worse, more prolific rather than the other way round. Forum members more vocal, less tolerant of their behavior and subsequently more disapproving. But ultimately "they" have to be the ones to want to change. I, we, us can't do it for them! Regardless, what any of us choose to label this its not something that's just befallen them outta the blue, like growing too fast etc. They've worked hard at consciously creating this image every step of the way. Growing too fast in and of itself isn't fatal, doesn't foster arrogance or influence customer relations negatively automatically. And if it does it can only be at Devialet's insistence! That's board driven rather than any accidental by-product of exponential growth. For now its the choice they've made rather than some freak force of nature that inexplicably overcomes technological success stories. Find who's flying this space ship and you'll find the source of the problem. Replace him and rapid growth is little more than a growing pain which you want in a company and doesn't manifest itself publicly as chaos. That's management, or lack thereof!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(27-Oct-2015, 09:40)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Linn's another good example where various staff write on the forum - speaker designer Philbo springs to mind. They're not really pushing the company line & it's all fairly unofficial (though I'm sure they're told to be careful what they write) but are helpful explaining technical stuff etc. and just engaging socially.
Then you have the Uptone guys on Computer Audiophile etc. who are actively engaging with users to try and improve the product, which appears to be working very well.

Actually the Linn forum was very much the inspiration for Devialet Chat. Keith Robertson, their CTO, also regularly posts and takes an active role in managing the forum. Overall I think they do a very good job of this and it is clear that they see it as a key channel for communicating with their customers.

Speaking about actively engaging with users, LH Labs (the makers of the Geek Out USB DAC) are doing some really interesting things with crowdfunding models and are very active through social media. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Devialet contribute on this forum? With their current culture I would say this is highly unlikely. As an example, they have the new on line chat on their website. For some queries, they answer quickly and directly, all very good. However, for some other queries, if for example you ask about progress with AIR, Dialog compatibility with the Expert range or similar, the answers are very evasive. It is clear that there are some subjects that Devialet are simply not prepared to discuss. It is a kind of "speak no evil" culture, where if something is not up to the very high ideals that they are trying to portray, it is simply not to be mentioned.
Exactly the point I was trying to convey earlier with Devialet placing a rep here to answer questions. He'd easily answer all the questions he had authority to in under a day. Then he'd be lambasted with questions related to his litany of evasions till hell wouldn't have it. Then that would be the end of it. In & out in a day. Small wonder they aren't jumping all over that opportunity!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
I support the idea of all in one including AIR, downloading files for updating as well as upgrading. So I invested a lot money on my D200 in the hope these French engineers are focusing on innovativion and more importantly improving the SQ so as to be amongst the very top gears. But now they focus on something else. They did not treat AIR issue seriously enough - almost all of us expert line (I don't like this name) users did not know what they are thinking and doing to solve AIR problem. All in all more users are becoming less happy.
(27-Oct-2015, 14:10)Confused Wrote: Devialet contribute on this forum?  With their current culture I would say this is highly unlikely.  As an example, they have the new on line chat on their website.  For some queries, they answer quickly and directly, all very good.  However, for some other queries, if for example you ask about progress with AIR, Dialog compatibility with the Expert range or similar, the answers are very evasive.  It is clear that there are some subjects that Devialet are simply not prepared to discuss.   It is a kind of "speak no evil" culture, where if something is not up to the very high ideals that they are trying to portray, it is simply not to be mentioned.

That online chat feature would be much more valuable if a log of FAQs were kept. IMO, Devialet has been far more successful than anticipated and lost some control of its operations. Customer service seems to be ad hoc. The SAM and Phantom programs seem to be moving with direction while the Expert line seems to be languishing. I hope that they manage to reorganize and develop a plan where all sectors get appropriate attention.

I also hope that they decide to let us know what the plans are.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(27-Oct-2015, 15:39)G51 Wrote: I support the idea of all in one including AIR, downloading files for updating as well as upgrading. So I invested a lot money on my D200 in the hope these French engineers are focusing on innovativion and more importantly improving the SQ so as to be amongst the very top gears. But now they focus on something else. They did not treat AIR issue seriously enough - almost all of us expert line (I don't like this name) users did not know what they are thinking and doing to solve AIR problem. All in all more users are becoming less happy.

This echoes exactly how I feel
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England