Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Devialet partner with Sky!
Sky = Bentley ?
Confused

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-Jul-2017, 19:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Sky = Bentley ?
Confused

Yes, not quite the same thing regarding brand image it has to be said.  Although, in fairness to Gerronwithit's post, I think he was trying to highlight the similarities with respect to the European design / Chinese manufacturing approach, and partnering with other brands as a general point.

Although brand snobbery aside, Bentley have annual sales of about 11,000 units, Sky in the multi-millions, so if I was making the business descisions I know which way I would go!  Maybe there is a plan to roll out the Naim in-car stuff to the rest of the VAG group range?  This would be a very different story in terms of numbers and potential revenue, but no sign of this at the moment.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Jul-2017, 09:23)Confused Wrote:
(29-Jul-2017, 19:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Sky = Bentley ?
Confused

Yes, not quite the same thing regarding brand image it has to be said.  Although, in fairness to Gerronwithit's post, I think he was trying to highlight the similarities with respect to the European design / Chinese manufacturing approach, and partnering with other brands as a general point.

Although brand snobbery aside, Bentley have annual sales of about 11,000 units, Sky in the multi-millions, so if I was making the business descisions I know which way I would go!  Maybe there is a plan to roll out the Naim in-car stuff to the rest of the VAG group range?  This would be a very different story in terms of numbers and potential revenue, but no sign of this at the moment.
Blimey! I did not think my post was so obscure. Naim initially moved from its hardcore HiFi UK production by designing the product and getting the Chinese to manufacture the Bentley HiFi. As far as I know this was a one off as Bentley is marketed as a British product, so unlikely to see Naim in a Golf or an Audi. They then moved to produce the Muso which is considerably downmarket from The Phantom, but also considerably cheaper and again produced in China. Lastly, they produced the smaller and cheaper Qb. None of these is directly comparable to the Sky soundbar, except that all are manufactured in China, but reflects the move by Devialet into a more mass market, particularly when Sky are selling it at just under £300. In non Sky pricing it is comparable to the Muso. As I said earlier, we will have to wait for reviews to see how they compare sonically unless of course someone has bought and got one.
I'm not sure the decision to produce in China is Devialet's to make. Most probably it's Sky's, considering the expected volume, their experience with Chinese manufacturing, and the like.

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not read the whole thread so I may repeat someone else's view here...

The good thing with the Sky/Devialet deal is that Devialet has finally decided it's possible to work with other companies. Roon AIR is also a good example here. If the Core Infinity has/gets RAAT it is definite! Then I'll probably be a Phantom Gold owner the moment Golds become Roon compatible or better RAAT equipped. What remains is that Devialet must come up with (and publish) some sort of "after warranty" procedure that owners find reasonable. Danny Dulai of Roon has stated that Air streaming to Expert/Pro was a first logical step for them. Next step is to try and do the same for Phantom.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(30-Jul-2017, 16:03)ogs Wrote: Next step is to try and do the same for Phantom.

I'm hopping strongly that this is going to happen. I moved to become a Roon lifetimer, can live with Spark as streaming solution for Qobuz. Tidal has too many drop-outs (underwhelming service quality) at my place (in France), so a no go. But my hope is that Phantoms become RAAT and Qobuz becomes part on Roon. Both are user requests that have been long time requested to Devialet and Roon (and Qobuz). But both companies (and Qobuz as third) have their visions, product pipelines and therefore stubbornness that makes them develop outside of user requests to maximize their profits and minimize their dependency on others. Let's see if Roon finds a way to satisfy customers with additional streaming services that others (like Devialet) offer and that Devialet offers access to their hardware to others to be serviced.
As anyone who has followed the Roon/Qobuz saga knows, the only one of these who is against an affiliation is Qobuz who will not share their data with Roon and feel that their interface is much better.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
"I'm hopping strongly that this is going to happen"

Streamy - is your leg tired yet?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(01-Aug-2017, 12:36)JohnnySix Wrote: Streamy - is your leg tired yet?
Seems my brain, too Smile But, I keep dancing and enjoy what we received so far.
Music not to my ears! Sonos every time, particularly if you want music from your sound base or sound bar as well. They may well have got me interested if they had somehow integrated Sky into the same ugly black box, but having another box for what is essentially sound effects, I just don't buy it. This also assumes that you have your Sky box underneath your TV and many people have them wall mounted without anything underneath. I'm a Sky customer of over 10 years and wouldn't buy one of these regardless of the association with Devialet. And Sky Q is a dogs dinner picture quality wise - they ought to fix that first. I think Devialet have missed the point and are very late to the party. Good luck to them though.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.