Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet phono stage
I agree, Finn. I do not consider this to be a "minor irritation", but a huge shortcoming.
Every Devialet should come with a caveat to prospective customers: "BEWARE: this device can NOT be used in combination with low output moving coil cartridges".

Like Bruno, I also decided not to upgrade when it was immediately apparent that the new "Pro" models suffered as horribly from hiss as the regular experts. Heck, I had to invest in a SUT instead... (Sound now is as fine as can be, I have to admit.)
Devialet should address this issue ASAP and offer it as a free upgrade to all premier/expert/pro owners.
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
I sent a request too devialet about there phonostage and ask a upgrade so we Can play records With noo hiss ,and Don,t need to use , transformer ,or other phonostage , i say that people who use turntable feel that devialet have forget Them , now we May see What happend.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(02-Dec-2018, 16:05)MrJellyLord Wrote: Every Devialet should come with a caveat to prospective customers: "BEWARE: this device can NOT be used in combination with low output moving coil cartridges".

I don't agree.

I'm not saying people aren't having issues.

But my LOMCs are hiss-free at -15 dB and lower unless I put my ear on the tweeter.

If I crank it up to -3 dB, the hiss becomes obvious.

Either there are big variances in the phono stage quality, or maybe a lot of people aren't setting the gain properly.

Stereophile also measured the noise floor as very low.
(14-Dec-2018, 01:32)watchnerd Wrote:
(02-Dec-2018, 16:05)MrJellyLord Wrote: Every Devialet should come with a caveat to prospective customers: "BEWARE: this device can NOT be used in combination with low output moving coil cartridges".

I don't agree.

I'm not saying people aren't having issues.

But my LOMCs are hiss-free at -15 dB and lower unless I put my ear on the tweeter.

If I crank it up to -3 dB, the hiss becomes obvious.

Either there are big variances in the phono stage quality, or maybe a lot of people aren't setting the gain properly.

Stereophile also measured the noise floor as very low.

Totally agree with @watchnerd. See my post at #6.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I have bought an Rothwell headamp and use it with my 130Pro and my Kenwood KD 990 TT with AT 33PTGII element. No hiss and noise anymore and a very nice match with the mm stage of the Devialet. Nice and wide soundstage with good separation. I played a lot with the gain settings but not with good results.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
Do you folks with issues have the wifi enabled or disabled?
My WIFI is disabled , AS i say i have a SUT With Wery good effekt , but Why shall people bye phonostage, or Sut , if they have Low output cartridges . And that i Think is a ploblem.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Reading through this thread I get the feeling a few people feel that the phono stage could and should be better. Many integrated amplifiers come with phono stages that aren't as good as external phono stages. Is it so hard to just accept that a phono stage inside such a cramped box just might not be as good as the rest of the amplifier?

Normally, when a DAC is implemented in an integrated amp, it's not as good as an external one. Devialet just happens to have invented a way to integrate the DAC in such a way that it works better than quite a lot of external DACs. That (Magic Wire), and ADH amplification, are what makes the Expert special. There's no 'special' implementation for the phono stage in the Expert. The fact that DSP happens to be available to adjust for cartridges probably gives the impression the phono stage is a prominent part of the amp but to my mind, if you want the best of every aspect of your stereo, separates are the only way to go. 

As you can probably guess, I don't use a record player. But I did take my Od'A to a friend who did use a record player for the first few songs he played. He just sat there listening to it quietly for a few songs, then stood up to change records and the only word out of his mouth was WOW! 
So the phono stage can't be that bad.

I'm not saying you're a bunch of whingers. I'm just asking, is it realistic to expect more from the phono stage inside a little pizza box so full of digital stuff?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Pim. Spot out , the Way is a seperart phonostage, but Reading about the first devialet and that phonostage people tell about a better One, and Then i Think Why not just continue With that phonostage, it seems that the digital going Up ,and the phonostage goes Down, Why must it be this Way? Why not Think about all Those people who have turntable ,and more and more bye records. Thats Why i complain about os all playing records that we must bye seperart phonostage , devialet say soon everybody Will ovn a Devialet , becorse devialet is 1 box system , Why must people accept that to have the bedst out of ther turntable ,they must bye another box? That is the ploblem .
Finn, I did read @f1eng 's comments regarding the phono stage in the D-Premier but I wonder of that was a better phono stage or that now there's so much more going on inside that little box, the same phono stage just has to deal with more distortion around. If that's the case, I can't see the phono stage getting any better. Therefore, accepting the shortcomings of the Expert is probably the only thing to do.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.