Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet upgrading (bad) policy
My dealer tells me the full amount goes to Devialet, dealers do not make a cent on the upgrade.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
To be fair, the quoted UPNP/DLNA feature was not part of the product specification when we bought the machine. So why is it "unfair if you cannot get it with existing machines? It would be "unfortunate" that new machines get new features which the existing one do not, but not "unfair".

However I do not think we have any info on the new network card, and whether it can be installed into existing machines. So all is not lost.

Do not forget that your existing machines will sound and work the same way after new models are out. It is just progress, businesses in the digital era do tend to change faster. I am also a bit miffed that I may end up having to open my wallet again to satisfy my relentless chase for the latest and greatest. But if I fall into that upgrade trap it is my own lack of self control.

Don't also forget that the upgradability so far without additional cost has been quite impressive. Since my original purchase my 170 was upgraded to 200WPC, USB has been upgraded to 24/192 and DSD/DoP capable, and also bi-directional which makes the machine an A to D vinyl ripping machine.

Of all the brands I have owned before such as Naim, Linn, Vitus, Weiss etc. Only dCS has the same degree of upgradability without additional expenses.
(09-Aug-2016, 17:27)cesri Wrote: Hi I'm new here.
I'm  a devialet 400 owner.
I'm writing now because I'm not happy with the way Devialet is managing the upgrade to the new Pro models.
First of all the upgrade is way too expensive, 5990€ for a 400 to become a 440.
It's about 50% of the original price.
They come out with a new model every two years.
They think people are going to pay so much every two years?
I spoke with them about this,they told me upgrading is no way a necessity and that my machine will have new firmware for years to come.
Yes, ok.
But I was waiting for the unpn/dlna feature, and unfortunately this is one of the option you need to upgrade to have.
What I should I do with firmware that add or give nothing new unless bugs fixing?Bugs that should' be in the software in the first place.
I live in Italy and I have seen that the most important authorized dealer is selling the older machines (120,200,400,800) at a discount price of 30% and advertising the upgrade to the pro models       3490 € for the 120 to 130 pro
                 2550 € for the 200 to 220 pro
                 3995 € for the 400 to 440 pro
                 3995 € for the 800 to 1000 pro
This is really unfair.Who purchased the machine before at full price is going to pay more to get the upgrade.Absurd.
Hi-end doesn't work like this.Consumer brands behave like this.
I know others owners in the area I live that are very disappointed and some of them are reselling back their machines.
Check out the second hand market ,where devialet was missing,is now full of offers.
I wanted to share my complains here with others owners.
Still devialet is a great machine to listen music, this I want to make it clear.

I understand that you are frustrated but i do believe some perspective is required.

Is it fair to blame Devialet for providing the option of an upgrade program? I personally think it is a boon that they do. I can't think of many other manufacturers that do. Normally you have to sell existing kit and then buy new. Surely you would rather have the ability to upgrade than not? Easier to upgrade then have the hassle to sell and then repurchase.

You do not state when you purchased your D400. Assuming that it was fairly recently, then a balanced view would be to apportion blame between  yourself and your dealer. Yourself, as it was not exactly a secret that new models were on the horizon - a little bit of research would have unveiled that. Yes an exact date was not communicated but there was enough to alert one to that fact. Your dealer - for not informing you at the time of purchase that a newer model was imminent. Go and rattle his cage!

Then the question of price - is only one you can answer in light of your own situation. If the price is to steep then don't pull that trigger! Again it is a choice. 

Perhaps it is FOMO that is at play. My view (and not having heard a Pro 1000) is that any increase in SQ will be marginal at best. With a D400 you have the Devialet "house sound"  that attracted you to the amps in the first place- sure maybe the new models are "better" but how much so - perhaps take a listen and then decide. But don't lose sight of the fact that your D400 does not sound worse now that an upgrade program is available. Sit back and enjoy your tunes and spend the cash on new music? I still recall how much better (to me) the DP sounded compared to my ARC Ref Pre and Power combo. 

I participated in the previous upgrade from DP to D800. This time i am sitting out - based on price and my view expressed above. Also i am encouraged that Devialet are extending the upgrade program to DP owners. So i am hopeful that next time there is an upgrade that if i chose, i will be able to participate in upgrading from D800 to Devialet Super Dooper Model 2000 i.e. that a future upgrade program won't be restricted to Pro machines.
(10-Aug-2016, 23:14)Soniclife Wrote:
(10-Aug-2016, 22:06)Confused Wrote: I presume those prices are not discounted as such, they are the lower upgrade prices for those who purchased an Expert amp after 1st January 2016?
What are the normal prices in euros?

As an example:
THE 800 BECOMES THE
EXPERT 1000 PRO
2x 1000W
Upgrade Price: 5990 euros

Rather more than the 3995 euros mentioned earlier in this thread.

(there is lots of debate about pricing in the 'new product launch' thread.)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Aug-2016, 06:57)colonel66 Wrote:
(09-Aug-2016, 17:27)cesri Wrote: Hi I'm new here.
I'm  a devialet 400 owner.
I'm writing now because I'm not happy with the way Devialet is managing the upgrade to the new Pro models.
First of all the upgrade is way too expensive, 5990€ for a 400 to become a 440.
It's about 50% of the original price.
They come out with a new model every two years.
They think people are going to pay so much every two years?
I spoke with them about this,they told me upgrading is no way a necessity and that my machine will have new firmware for years to come.
Yes, ok.
But I was waiting for the unpn/dlna feature, and unfortunately this is one of the option you need to upgrade to have.
What I should I do with firmware that add or give nothing new unless bugs fixing?Bugs that should' be in the software in the first place.
I live in Italy and I have seen that the most important authorized dealer is selling the older machines (120,200,400,800) at a discount price of 30% and advertising the upgrade to the pro models       3490 € for the 120 to 130 pro
                 2550 € for the 200 to 220 pro
                 3995 € for the 400 to 440 pro
                 3995 € for the 800 to 1000 pro
This is really unfair.Who purchased the machine before at full price is going to pay more to get the upgrade.Absurd.
Hi-end doesn't work like this.Consumer brands behave like this.
I know others owners in the area I live that are very disappointed and some of them are reselling back their machines.
Check out the second hand market ,where devialet was missing,is now full of offers.
I wanted to share my complains here with others owners.
Still devialet is a great machine to listen music, this I want to make it clear.

I understand that you are frustrated but i do believe some perspective is required.

Is it fair to blame Devialet for providing the option of an upgrade program? I personally think it is a boon that they do. I can't think of many other manufacturers that do. Normally you have to sell existing kit and then buy new. Surely you would rather have the ability to upgrade than not? Easier to upgrade then have the hassle to sell and then repurchase.

You do not state when you purchased your D400. Assuming that it was fairly recently, then a balanced view would be to apportion blame between  yourself and your dealer. Yourself, as it was not exactly a secret that new models were on the horizon - a little bit of research would have unveiled that. Yes an exact date was not communicated but there was enough to alert one to that fact. Your dealer - for not informing you at the time of purchase that a newer model was imminent. Go and rattle his cage!

Then the question of price - is only one you can answer in light of your own situation. If the price is to steep then don't pull that trigger! Again it is a choice. 

Perhaps it is FOMO that is at play. My view (and not having heard a Pro 1000) is that any increase in SQ will be marginal at best. With a D400 you have the Devialet "house sound"  that attracted you to the amps in the first place- sure maybe the new models are "better" but how much so - perhaps take a listen and then decide. But don't lose sight of the fact that your D400 does not sound worse now that an upgrade program is available. Sit back and enjoy your tunes and spend the cash on new music? I still recall how much better (to me) the DP sounded compared to my ARC Ref Pre and Power combo. 

I participated in the previous upgrade from DP to D800. This time i am sitting out - based on price and my view expressed above. Also i am encouraged that Devialet are extending the upgrade program to DP owners. So i am hopeful that next time there is an upgrade that if i chose, i will be able to participate in upgrading from D800 to Devialet Super Dooper Model 2000 i.e. that a future upgrade program won't be restricted to Pro machines.

+1. Well said Colonel66. Totally agree that it is not many other manufacturers who offer upgrade packages for their products (certainly not in the Hi Fi sector anyway).

I purchased my D400 based on SQ (traded in an ARC Ref 5 Pre amp and Chord 1200C power Amp) and not for any future (hardware) upgrade package but, at the time of purchase, in the knowledge of FW upgrades only. I have subsequently upgraded to a D800 and will compare my D800 with a D1000pro before deciding whether to upgrade or not - though from some of the posts, from those who have already compared, it seems likely that I will "open my wallet" (look out for a plague of moths Tongue ) and take the plunge, but only after I have compared the two amps and assessed relative SQ.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Has anyone pointed out that according to the dealer (in HK at least), until 31st Aug, 2016, customer will get a 15% off on older models (200, 400 and 800). And any customer with purchase in 2016 will enjoy a discounted upgrade price. So believe it or not, if you buy now and then do the upgrade right away, it IS actually cheaper than you buy the new Expert Pro range.
(11-Aug-2016, 03:49)baddog Wrote: My dealer tells me the full amount goes to Devialet, dealers do not make a cent on the upgrade.

But does the distributor in the country take anything of the cake? Here in Sweden it is the distributor that sets the price (not out yet).
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Glad that there are more balanced views. Mind you Devialet does need to improve their communication to their customers.

I bought my 170 near the peak of Euro, and I bought the second a few months before the announcement. When I asked the dealer about the rumoured new models they understandably claimed no knowledge of it. SO if anything I should have reasons to be unhappy.

But I bought with the strong suspicion that update is imminent so I won't blame anyone for it.
(10-Aug-2016, 22:06)Confused Wrote: I presume those prices are not discounted as such, they are the lower upgrade prices for those who purchased an Expert amp after 1st January 2016?

No, prices are for those who are going to buy the previous models (on offer 30% off) now.
https://www.hifidiprinzio.it/it/Amplific...t-400.html

It is in italian but with google translate it is possibile to understand.