Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet vs Everything Else
(28-Mar-2017, 22:12)Dr Tone Wrote:
(28-Mar-2017, 21:08)Rama Wrote: I had once had the opportunity to visit a lovely store in London by the name of KJ WEST ONE. Absolutely a fantastic place highly recommended store. The very friendly owner of the store had just setup a dCS front end, with Dan D'Agostino mono blocks with the Wilson Alexx speakers. And it was there where I experienced for the first time a perception of truly holographic sound. Its was a solo Violin track and let me tell you the moment was magical, the instrument was surrounded by sonic darkness meaning the sound was contained within a defined area in space, as if the Violin was floating in the air in front of me. When I listen to my D440 everything is stuck to the back wall like notes on a cork board. But to be fair I have to remind myself that the price of that whole system would be around $300,000. For me to have something like that would be an impossible dream to achieve. I am grateful to even have a D440 (Pro) lets put it that way.

I'm not sure what you use for speakers but I'm betting it was the very well set up Alexx speakers that were doing most of the magic in this case.

We went through all different genres of music. And then it was time for some electro/dance music with some heavy bass. Talk about bass impact, with every note i could feel it in my chest. And i am not exaggerating one bit here, it was enthralling to hear the Alexx.
(28-Mar-2017, 21:08)Rama Wrote: I had once had the opportunity to visit a lovely store in London by the name of KJ WEST ONE. Absolutely a fantastic place highly recommended store. The very friendly owner of the store had just setup a dCS front end, with Dan D'Agostino mono blocks with the Wilson Alexx speakers. And it was there where I experienced for the first time a perception of truly holographic sound. Its was a solo Violin track and let me tell you the moment was magical, the instrument was surrounded by sonic darkness meaning the sound was contained within a defined area in space, as if the Violin was floating in the air in front of me. When I listen to my D440 everything is stuck to the back wall like notes on a cork board. But to be fair I have to remind myself that the price of that whole system would be around $300,000. For me to have something like that would be an impossible dream to achieve. I am grateful to even have a D440 (Pro) lets put it that way.

Not to take anything away from the gear, but i'm sure a properly set up and treated audio room would have contributed much of the system's ability to throw such a soundstage. Very difficult to replicate this in a normal home environment.
I know @egg1dog has moved on from the D400 to the Esoteric K07X cd, CO3X preamp and Bryston 14bsst2 to drive his Wilson Sashas.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I will have officially moved on to a McIntosh C47 Preamp and MC301 mono blocks next week.

C47 is the same preamp as C52 minus the 8 band eq and extra inputs/outputs.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/mcintos...mplifiers/

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/t...amplifier/
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(12-Apr-2017, 17:21)Dr Tone Wrote: I will have officially moved on to a McIntosh C47 Preamp and MC301 mono blocks next week.

Wow you're going for the big mono blocks!  Cool

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-Apr-2017, 17:33)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Apr-2017, 17:21)Dr Tone Wrote: I will have officially moved on to a McIntosh C47 Preamp and MC301 mono blocks next week.

Wow you're going for the big mono blocks!  Cool

Guillaume

They are actually the smallest ones.  6" tall.  67lbs each.  Something I can move by myself but still quad balanced.  The next option up was a single MC452 which is way more power than the Sabrinas need and way too big to fit anywhere and out of the question to move by myself.  The choice was the single MC152 or the small mono blocks.

I didn't buy the Devialet originally because it was a one box solution, it was mostly what SAM did for my previous Focal's and it was better than the Simaudio 600i I had before. Separates isn't an issue for me.

(14-Apr-2017, 03:09)Wdw Wrote: So is this to become the thread where we all slowly join in to announce what we've replaced our Devialet with?  Must admit, with their juvenile and bone-headed customer relations, I am, more and more so, thinking of alternates.  

Nothing wrong with test driving a few things, it might turn out the Devialet is the best sounding option for you and you keep it for years.

(14-Apr-2017, 03:24)Dr Tone Wrote:
(14-Apr-2017, 03:09)Wdw Wrote: So is this to become the thread where we all slowly join in to announce what we've replaced our Devialet with?  Must admit, with their juvenile and bone-headed customer relations, I am, more and more so, thinking of alternates.  

Nothing wrong with test driving a few things, it might turn out the Devialet is the best sounding option for you and you keep it for years.

Deleted my post...too grumpy, so my apologies.  Agree, no harm in trying out other options.   My D440's do sound great!
Has anyone listened to the HomePod speakers yet?
better than Echo but still a very basic home style product