Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet200, not very powerfull
I was very dissapointed trying the D200 with electrostats, modified AudioAcoustics Es100.
Devialet couldn't match up with a cheap Advance Acoustic MAA406.

But, when I used my normal speakers, Totem Hawk (withSAM) or B&W CDM7NT still the AdvanceAcoustic was a lot better, control, dynamics, sound....

I used the Dev as pré and the AA as MAA406

I am confused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Devialets Expert line are one of the very best amplifiers available; however, they are not perfect. There are several reviews that show the amps do not perform or behave well if your speakers dip below 4 ohms at any frequency. I don't know and could not find any information on your speakers, but I would expect this might be the problem. There are even modestly priced amplifiers with conventional linear power supplies that may outperform the Devs with certain speakers.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Many modern speakers will dip below 4 ohms at some frequency. Well, at least the ones that are reviewed with lab results. I find the D200 works very well with my Magnepan 1.7s which are a relatively benign 4 ohms but are said to require lots of current and are hard to drive.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(10-Jul-2015, 15:31)rwjr44 Wrote: Many modern speakers will dip below 4 ohms at some frequency. Well, at least the ones that are reviewed with lab results. I find the D200 works very well with my Magnepan 1.7s which are a relatively benign 4 ohms but are said to require lots of current and are hard to drive.

You're right, it is speakers that dip towards 2 ohms at some frequencies that can give the Devialets problems (as well as many other amplifiers)
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
The Maggie's drop to below 2 ohms around 20k but the slope is gentle. Look at the impedance curve of the speakers That are next on my list: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/floor-sta...bench.html. Find the lowest graph on the page.

Interesting.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
This might be worth reading. You may have similar issues?

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...gan+montis
(10-Jul-2015, 21:24)Confused Wrote: This might be worth reading.  You may have similar issues?

To whom was your post directed?  Smile
(10-Jul-2015, 22:45)rwjr44 Wrote:
(10-Jul-2015, 21:24)Confused Wrote: This might be worth reading.  You may have similar issues?

To whom was your post directed?  Smile

Mr macdummy.......
Not meaning to derail this thread but what are the tell tail signs if the Devialet can't cope with speakers that drop low in ohms? Will the sound be poor across all frequencies or only some?
I have tried a pair of Magnepan 1.7 with my Devialet 120 and even though the bass was the best I have heard with the 1.7. the Devialet lack power to drive the Magnepan. IMHO you will need a 400 to drive electrostatic speakers.