Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct ethernet connection between 2 Phantom 1?
Smile 
Hello, I just bought a Phantom 1-103 DB, and it's connect directly to my PC via an optical cable. Everything works fine so far.

I plan to buy another one to make a stereo pair. Is it possible that I pair them using an Ethernet cable as direct connection between 2 Phantom 1? I prefer all wires due to better stability and superior sound quality compared to wifi/bluetooth.
Hi and welcome to DC! Congratulations on your new speaker!
You can't connect the speakers directly together with an ethernet cable, only Phantom II supports direct connection. You'll have to connect both to your router/switch if you want wired connection.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(23-Oct-2021, 20:47)ragwo Wrote: Hi and welcome to DC! Congratulations on your new speaker!
You can't connect the speakers directly together with an ethernet cable, only Phantom II supports direct connection. You'll have to connect both to your router/switch if you want wired connection.

I read on our forum that once successfully stereo paring via Wifi and Devialet app, I can use Ethernet cable to connect both speakers to make it work without wifi, is it true?
(24-Oct-2021, 04:58)gabeo1985 Wrote:
(23-Oct-2021, 20:47)ragwo Wrote: Hi and welcome to DC! Congratulations on your new speaker!

I read on our forum that once successfully stereo paring via Wifi and Devialet app, I can use Ethernet cable to connect both speakers to make it work without wifi, is it true?

That's unfortunately incorrect as far as I know.
My Phantom Voyage
The other option is to use PLC (Power Line Connection) between the 2 Phantoms. The sound quality is very good and it is difficult to tell the difference between Ethernet and PLC.
(24-Oct-2021, 08:48)Snoopy8 Wrote: The other option is to use PLC (Power Line Connection) between the 2 Phantoms. The sound quality is very good and it is difficult to tell the difference between Ethernet and PLC.

Can you give me the link of a PLC cable sample? In terms of sound quality, is it better than ethernet connection between Phantom and the router? I plan to connect 2 Phantom I via ethernet cables to my Asus router (Starlight 8 - Wireworld ethernet cable). I just want stablity and the best sound quality
@gabeo1985
The speakers have built in PLC for communication between speakers. Ideally they should be on the same power circuit or outlet.
My Phantom Voyage
(24-Oct-2021, 13:18)gabeo1985 Wrote: Can you give me the link of a PLC cable sample? In terms of sound quality, is it better than ethernet connection between Phantom and the router? I plan to connect 2 Phantom I via ethernet cables to my Asus router (Starlight 8 - Wireworld ethernet cable). I just want stablity and the best sound quality
If you have a router to connect both the phantoms with ethernet cables, then it is the best way.  But I thought your question was connecting the 2 phantoms without a router?  That is not possible, hence my suggestion to use PLC. 

PLC is using the power cables to communicate between the phantoms.  Best if you use a power board to plug the 2 Phantoms, and then use your App to enable PLC.  In a home with modern wiring, it works very well.
(25-Oct-2021, 01:41)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(24-Oct-2021, 13:18)gabeo1985 Wrote: Can you give me the link of a PLC cable sample? In terms of sound quality, is it better than ethernet connection between Phantom and the router? I plan to connect 2 Phantom I via ethernet cables to my Asus router (Starlight 8 - Wireworld ethernet cable). I just want stablity and the best sound quality
If you have a router to connect both the phantoms with ethernet cables, then it is the best way.  But I thought your question was connecting the 2 phantoms without a router?  That is not possible, hence my suggestion to use PLC. 

PLC is using the power cables to communicate between the phantoms.  Best if you use a power board to plug the 2 Phantoms, and then use your App to enable PLC.  In a home with modern wiring, it works very well.

I'm gonna buy a power conditioner called Audioquest Niagara 1200 and plug 2 phantoms into it (high current sockets). Does it mean that I can enable PLC via app via this method?
(25-Oct-2021, 05:01)gabeo1985 Wrote: I'm gonna buy a power conditioner called Audioquest Niagara 1200 and plug 2 phantoms into it (high current sockets). Does it mean that I can enable PLC via app via this method?
It should work, but best to confirm this with Devialet.