Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog replacement for device independent music
(07-May-2020, 06:14)gelasma Wrote: Does anyone know if I can stream to the Phantoms with https://volumio.org?

Yes, that will work. 

You'll need a optical output HAT for the raspberry Pi - https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hi...d-version/

Then plug the output of the HAT into the optical input of one of the Phantoms.

Volume control will still be via the Devialet app
(07-May-2020, 08:46)mvrlondon Wrote:
(07-May-2020, 06:14)gelasma Wrote: Does anyone know if I can stream to the Phantoms with https://volumio.org?

Yes, that will work. 

You'll need a optical output HAT for the raspberry Pi - https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hi...d-version/

Then plug the output of the HAT into the optical input of one of the Phantoms.

Volume control will still be via the Devialet app

Thanks for your input. I know that I can connect all sorts of things via optical, however I am searching for a solution without cables.

I don't want to mess with my clean setup of the phantoms with just one power cable. This is one aspect I particularly like about the phantoms. 

My question is: will volumio be able to connect to the Phantoms with UPnP or AirPlay?
(07-May-2020, 09:21)gelasma Wrote: Thanks for your input. I know that I can connect all sorts of things via optical, however I am searching for a solution without cables.

I don't want to mess with my clean setup of the phantoms with just one power cable. This is one aspect I particularly like about the phantoms. 

My question is: will volumio be able to connect to the Phantoms with UPnP or AirPlay?

If you have the Dialog, you can use the optical input of that - even with DOS2.   That way there are no extra cables to the Phantoms.

I don't think Volumio acts as a UPNP server, only a renderer - but I may be wrong.
Another option is to install Audirvana on a Mac and use the phone app to control it.
It is a shame that one of the greatest features about Spark was dropped during the DOS upgraded. I am in the same boat and unfortunately did not realise this would be lost until I upgraded and I rue everyday I did that.

It's shocking that you have to spend a load of money to find some "work around fix" for something that was part of the design and had no good reason to be dropped (from a user perspective).

My advice, stick with DOS 1, don't do anything and just enjoy one of the best features about owning a phantom.
Hi All,

It's a shame that the upgrade from DOS1 to DOS2 couldn't be reversed - I do wonder how many people who upgraded to DOS2 would have taken the path back to DOS1 if it was available? - especially with regards to Radio listening?

I quite enjoy 'tinkering' with audio products but even with everything in place to get back to where I was with DOS1 in DOS2 it still feels very 'fudged' though I'm grateful its working.

I wonder if Devialet have any figures as to listening habits, eg locally streamed VS Radio percentages.

I don't regret my move to DOS2 because it has improved the sound quality of the Classic Phantoms considerably in my opinion but I do have some concerns as to the future path of DOS2 for two reasons.

1. As far as I  am aware Devialet have said they will not be adding direct radio streaming functionality back into the app? Can anyone confirm this?
2. The glacially slow software development - there are some features mentioned two years ago that have yet to appear.

kantblue
(11-May-2020, 11:26)kantblue Wrote: 1. As far as I  am aware Devialet have said they will not be adding direct radio streaming functionality back into the app? Can anyone confirm this?
2. The glacially slow software development - there are some features mentioned two years ago that have yet to appear.
Unfortunately, no. 1 is true, no radio streaming will be added back.You will have to use a 3rd party app e.g. TuneIn.

The glacial slow software development is, again unfortunately, a common complaint among all Devialet customers.  In one way, we are fortunate that Devialet persisted with getting us to 2.10, which appears to be stable. Whether we ever get Equaliser, Airplay2, RAAT, low latency optical remains to be seen.