Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does 140 pro + 140 pro without pre-amplified output board = 210 pro
THX Alasdair. 390 Euro only for analog out - expensiv charge

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(25-Aug-2018, 16:57)oxfordaudio Wrote: I've just wired up a 210 in the store in order to answer this.

Pre-out board is NOT required

Alasdair

Great! Thanks for verifying.
ex-Expert 210 Pro 
Got the feedback from Devialet support too that was inline with Oxford Audio, went ahead and bought a 2nd hand 130pro (without the pre-amp board)...

Should have been straightforward to upgrade to 140pro and then reconfigure to 210pro but me in my wisdom and blind focus on pre amp board, did not check if the 130pro had the Core Infinity board installed which unsurprisingly is essential to upgrade to 140pro!!
So a few head bangs on the table and UPS delivery to Devialet later,  I got my polished 140pro (CI updated) back.
Unwrapped, reconfigured to 210, short drum roll as the sd cards did their thing...and working.

I have an evolved 210pro. Now waiting for the kids give me some peace to enjoy it.
ex-Expert 210 Pro 
So, with the 140 + 140 = 210 question of upgradability solved the next question is was it worth it? 

I have a 140 Pro CI and have an opportunity to get a 130 Pro CI locally (both seller and buyer live close by in Saudi Arabia, which is an odd coincidence).

Did the move to 210 lift veils, provide new unheard levels of bass dynamism, and/or any other audiophile cliches we can think of?  I'm driving Triangle Signature Alphas and very happy with the status quo and wondering whether to make the move.

Also, my speakers are biwire-able. Do we get to use all of the binding posts on both amps?

Thanks in advance, Rexie
(First post, after months of lurking so be gentle) Wink
Goldmund Studietto/SME Series V & Lifetime Roon-->Expert Pro 220-->Triangle Signature Alpha's
Expert Pro 140 --> Vienna Acoustics Schonberg's
Hello Rexie, and welcome to the forum.

I'll leave the subjective questions to others, but I can answer the one about the binding posts: sadly not.  When the amps are run in dual-mono, the two channels of one (previously) stereo amp are run in bridged mode.  That means each loudspeaker is connected between the positive terminals of the (previous) left and right channels, and the negative terminals are not connected at all.  Admittedly that sounds strange, and is counter-intuitive first time you try it.  If my description doesn't make sense, take a look at the on-line configurator for a dual-mono set-up - it should clarify.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(05-Oct-2018, 16:44)thumb5 Wrote: Hello Rexie, and welcome to the forum.

I'll leave the subjective questions to others, but I can answer the one about the binding posts: sadly not.  When the amps are run in dual-mono, the two channels of one (previously) stereo amp are run in bridged mode.  That means each loudspeaker is connected between the positive terminals of the (previous) left and right channels, and the negative terminals are not connected at all.  Admittedly that sounds strange, and is counter-intuitive first time you try it.  If my description doesn't make sense, take a look at the on-line configurator for a dual-mono set-up - it should clarify.

Thanks, thumb5, your response does indeed make sense.  Looks like I have speaker cables to unload..
(05-Oct-2018, 16:19)Rexie Wrote: So, with the 140 + 140 = 210 question of upgradability solved the next question is was it worth it? 

I have a 140 Pro CI and have an opportunity to get a 130 Pro CI locally (both seller and buyer live close by in Saudi Arabia, which is an odd coincidence).

Did the move to 210 lift veils, provide new unheard levels of bass dynamism, and/or any other audiophile cliches we can think of?  I'm driving Triangle Signature Alphas and very happy with the status quo and wondering whether to make the move.

Also, my speakers are biwire-able. Do we get to use all of the binding posts on both amps?

Thanks in advance, Rexie

Forget unreasonable…Sounds XXL...ok let's not go there.

I got to say I was blown away with the 130/140 pro sound when I first got it. The temptation to try dual mono was too much though when Devialet opened that door.  

After having this set up for a few weeks now, I find the music carries more detail at lower volumes (I dont turn it up all the time) and more oomph at higher volumes should I get urge to whack on some billy idol, or inxs. (No high brow music in this house.)
But it is not ‘twice as good’ for want of a better expression. I was probably expecting too much initially.

I am happy with the upgrade. I still make time to sit down and listen to my system, which is always a good sign.  IMO if you get a good deal on a 130/140 pro, it's a nice upgrade.

If you take the plunge, would be good to hear your thoughts.
ex-Expert 210 Pro 
(12-Oct-2018, 18:46)anan Wrote:
(05-Oct-2018, 16:19)Rexie Wrote: So, with the 140 + 140 = 210 question of upgradability solved the next question is was it worth it? 

Thanks in advance, Rexie

Forget unreasonable…Sounds XXL...ok let's not go there.

I got to say I was blown away with the 130/140 pro sound when I first got it. The temptation to try dual mono was too much though when Devialet opened that door.  

After having this set up for a few weeks now, I find the music carries more detail at lower volumes (I dont turn it up all the time) and more oomph at higher volumes should I get urge to whack on some billy idol, or inxs. (No high brow music in this house.)
But it is not ‘twice as good’ for want of a better expression. I was probably expecting too much initially.

I am happy with the upgrade. I still make time to sit down and listen to my system, which is always a good sign.  IMO if you get a good deal on a 130/140 pro, it's a nice upgrade.

If you take the plunge, would be good to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, anan for the reply!

I was a bit wistful about it, but decided to let a fellow audiophile here in Saudi take it once he found the local insane deal on Audiogon--he was about to buy my old gear which would have funded the purchase so I was doubly bummed.  But it was the right thing to do.  At least, that's what I keep reminding myself.   Angel
A follow-on question: I just paid for a 130 Pro CI with pre-amp outputs installed, from a dealer in Canada.

Is it possible to have two Devialet 140’s chained together to make it a 210, and still be able to use the pre-amp output?

The Configurator would indicate that is not possible.

And unfortunately for me that eliminates the incentive for the upgrade.
Playing around with the configurator for a couple of minutes, it looks to me as though you can get a mono analog pre-amp output from each 140 in a dual-mono configuration. If you assign the left channel to one output and the right channel to the other that should give you a stereo analog pre-amp output - I think...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK