Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Network Possible?
Hi,

I'm trying to setup two network at home with a goal of having one dedicated network for Devialet and my Mac Mini, and another for my Mac Mini to access the internet. Is this possible?

If yes, will it be better for my NAS to be in the same network as Devialet?

Gary
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Yes it is possible. It is called dual homing. You will need two interfaces, one for each network (for instance the WiFi interface for the Dev network and the Ethernet interface for the other network.

This being said, I'm not sue that the configuration is straight forward, especially through the GUI with the exception of the 'internet sharing option'.

More fancy configurations are possible since MacOS is a full fledge BSD unix for that matter but could require digging into the networking configuration files and commands, so better be proficient with UNIX and the terminal.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I simply have two routers one dedicated for my music network (Devialet, Aurender, NAS and control points iPad and Android phone). The other router is for other domestic use and access to the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(18-Apr-2015, 16:39)amabrok Wrote: I simply have two routers one dedicated for my music network (Devialet, Aurender, NAS and control points iPad and Android phone). The other router is for other domestic use and access to the Internet.

I like this idea, I am forced to use a "freebie" router as it is the only thing that will connect to my internet providers fibre / cable supply.  I could then choose a rather better router of my choice for the audio network.
(18-Apr-2015, 17:20)Confused Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 16:39)amabrok Wrote: I simply have two routers one dedicated for my music network (Devialet, Aurender, NAS and control points iPad and Android phone). The other router is for other domestic use and access to the Internet.

I like this idea, I am forced to use a "freebie" router as it is the only thing that will connect to my internet providers fibre / cable supply.  I could then choose a rather better router of my choice for the audio network.

It improves streaming and stability and reduces potential noise on the network

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I have limited success in getting improvement. I have 2 routers linked together, one is connected to modem and wifi. The other is a linksys powered by teddy pardo psu. The linksys is connected to devialet, NAS, computer and the other router.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(18-Apr-2015, 17:43)amabrok Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 17:20)Confused Wrote:

It improves streaming and stability and reduces potential noise on the network

My current setup is the same as yours. Two routers, one mainly for Devialet and my Mac Mini, the other for other purposes. I was hoping I can further improve signal of the dedicated router without other interference.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Can you get a router that does not include wifi? If I was to implement such a dual router system, I would only want wifi on one router, the hifi side of the network is hard wired Ethernet. I guess a router where the wifi could be switched off would also be ok, or if necessary I guess you could modify a standard wifi equipped unit?
(19-Apr-2015, 08:01)Confused Wrote: Can you get a router that does not include wifi?  If I was to implement such a dual router system, I would only want wifi on one router, the hifi side of the network is hard wired Ethernet.  I guess a router where the wifi could be switched off would also be ok, or if necessary I guess you could modify a standard wifi equipped unit?

If you're willing to use fixed IP addresses for the devices on the hi-fi (hard-wired) network, maybe you could get away with using a simple switch rather than a router?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(19-Apr-2015, 08:58)thumb5 Wrote:
(19-Apr-2015, 08:01)Confused Wrote: Can you get a router that does not include wifi?  If I was to implement such a dual router system, I would only want wifi on one router, the hifi side of the network is hard wired Ethernet.  I guess a router where the wifi could be switched off would also be ok, or if necessary I guess you could modify a standard wifi equipped unit?

If you're willing to use fixed IP addresses for the devices on the hi-fi (hard-wired) network, maybe you could get away with using a simple switch rather than a router?

This is not a solution as there are added Ethernet cabling which may/may not cause other noises. The point is to use Wifi completely with no cabling and no other interferences from other devices or operations.