Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet D400 and Gryphon Diablo 300
After several years of excellent performance and sq from the D400's, I decided to replace them with the Gryphon Diablo 300. Here are a few comments and points of comparison that may help someone considering such a step. 
  • The high cost and timeline to upgrade to 440 CORE was a factor
  • The Gryphon with DAC and phono module is an excellent "all in one" solution for my set up.
  • I had the opportunity to purchase a nearly new but used 300...could not resist.
Re: Sound quality

• The bass response from the D400 is deeper using SAM and more prominent in almost all play.
  • The bass response from the 300 is clearer, tighter and better integrated into the music.
  • The 300 is more musical; the D400 more detailed but the 300 is extraordinarily detailed too, not lacking detail
  • Both have unrestrained power and control but the 300 seems to have more of both. My listening levels are not high enough to really test either.
  • I find the 300 more engaging and hard to ignore when it's playing. This is true for the D400 too but not to the same extent...back to "more musical".
  • The 300 is significantly better at low volume.
  • The hybrid class a/d design of the D400 is brilliant in almost eliminating the downside of class d amplification but the more traditional design of the 300 avoids it all together.
  • The phono module in the 300 is noticeably superior, with analogue all the way, avoiding the DAC while the d400 does converts twice. Not sure if that's why the 300 is better but it is.
  • The 300 DAC is not compatible with MQA streaming at 192 however its streamed s/q is superior generally. The 300 DAC just sounds better...eliminating any impression of digital. 

The D400 sounds awesome and does not take a back seat but overall the 300 beats it. Anyone considering D440 or Gryphon 300 could have some pretty enjoyable listening to figure out which is better.
What speakers are you using?

That's very important when choosing the amp.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(06-Nov-2021, 01:05)Delija Wrote: What speakers are you using?

That's very important when choosing the amp.

Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation, 3 way floor stander rated to 350wpc.
Very happy with both the Gryphon and Devialet amps.
Nice speakers! Wink
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Did you have the opportunity to compare the Diablo 300 with a D440?
(08-Nov-2021, 23:04)renan Wrote: Did you have the opportunity to compare the Diablo 300 with a D440?

One of the biggest difference I found between D440-Pro & Diablo300 was from midbass, all the way to mid treble, thye Diablo300 is much more denser. It also possesses a slightly warmer tone and is more full bodied.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Never heard the 440 (sadly). Detail vs musicality? Both have tons of both but at least with the 400, detail was greater but musicality somewhat less.
If the measurements of the Gryphon Essence Mono in Stereophile is in anyway similar to Diablo 300 one will notice that second harmonic distortion is on level or a tiny bit stronger than the third harmonic. If the third, fifth, seventh etc. harmonic is dominant (odd order) the sound tends to be "cooled" (not cold or clinical). With even order harmonics dominant (second, fourth, sixth...), even marginal, you'll get "musical", "dense", "warm". Even if THD of the design is very low.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB