Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience
(16-Jul-2020, 12:16)ICUDoc Wrote:
(14-Jul-2020, 13:04)David A Wrote:
(14-Jul-2020, 11:28)PeppaPig Wrote:

Additionally, the EtherRegen runs very very hot, especially summer I feel unsafe to leave it on 24 hours 7 days. It might be safe but it just make me worry. It’s so much hotter than my 1000watt Expert 1000 Pro after 2 hour of loud play.

Where do you live? I live in sub-tropical Australia and got my ETHERRegen in January, the height of our summer. It was a hot summer, you may remember we had all of those bushfires down the east coast of Australia. Here in Brisbane we regularly hit temperatures in the mid-30s Celsius. Yes, the case gets quite warm but I've been running it 24/7 since January including through two of the hottest months of a hot summer without problems. Uptone Audio say that yes, the case gets warm but it is running at temperatures within the operating specs of its components.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Hi I am in Victoria.

It might not be an issue. But it just shouldn’t be that warm, for no reason a switch should be that warm. I guess It’s the hottest device in my entire system, I think it indicates something is not done properly.

Like many thing it won’t be a problem but it just not right, it should not. Otherwise there is something not done in a proper way. But this is my personal view.

I took it out and using WiFi. For a period of time I use AirPort Express converting WiFi into Ethernet, very stable.
It has many linear power regulators inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode regulators (which are noisier and less accurate). It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

I’d just stop worrying about it. Also check the manual, it describes the ‘running hot’.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(17-Jul-2020, 11:32)Antoine Wrote: It has many linear power converters inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode converters. It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

I’d just stop worrying about it. Also check the manual, it describes the ‘running hot’.

+1

No problem at all
(17-Jul-2020, 11:32)Antoine Wrote: It has many linear power regulators inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode regulators (which are noisier and less accurate). It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

oh ok, I didn’t know it has linear power regulator. Thanks for sharing.
I´m a bit indecisive about testing one here at home.
I have a Zen mini as a source and I don't think it's guaranteed to improve the sound.
There´s someone with a similar system with results to share?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(18-Jul-2020, 12:23)BoyScout Wrote: I´m a bit indecisive about testing one here at home.
I have a Zen mini as a source and I don't think it's guaranteed to improve the sound.
There´s someone with a similar system with results to share?
Here are some Innuos Zenith users who own the EtherRegen
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic...nt=1033319
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic...nt=1023722
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic...nt=1003724

Do not know of any who have Innuos + Devialet combintation, who have tried the EtherRegen.  As for testing one, it comes witha 30 day money back guarantee. 

To answer your question in other thread, this is typical setup:  EtherRegen -> Streamer -> DAC.  Or if the DAC has an Ethernet port then EtherRegen -> DAC.
(18-Jul-2020, 11:58)PeppaPig Wrote:
(17-Jul-2020, 11:32)Antoine Wrote: It has many linear power regulators inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode regulators (which are noisier and less accurate). It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

oh ok, I didn’t know it has linear power regulator. Thanks for sharing.

Had to look it up but there’s 12 of them, more than I remembered! I incorrectly wrote power regulators BTW but of course they’re ‘voltage regulators’.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/etherregen
Quote:
  • To support its performance, the power networks of the EtherREGEN are as sophisticated and costly as the rest of the design. We use 12 of the world’s lowest-noise, lowest-impedance integrated voltage regulators—the famous Linear Technology LT3045 and LT3042. Supporting both the voltage regulators and the data chips are 195 low-inductance, X7R and X5R capacitors sized and selected by their derating curves.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Jul-2020, 12:48)Snoopy8 Wrote: Do not know of any who have Innuos + Devialet combintation, who have tried the EtherRegen.  As for testing one, it comes witha 30 day money back guarantee. 

To answer your question in other thread, this is typical setup:  EtherRegen -> Streamer -> DAC.  Or if the DAC has an Ethernet port then EtherRegen -> DAC.
Thanks for the support.
It´s a good help.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(18-Jul-2020, 18:49)BoyScout Wrote:
(18-Jul-2020, 12:48)Snoopy8 Wrote: Do not know of any who have Innuos + Devialet combintation, who have tried the EtherRegen.  As for testing one, it comes witha 30 day money back guarantee. 

Thanks for the support.
It´s a good help.

Hi Snoopy8,

After a long talk with my dealer, and he knows my system very well, i realize that maybe my problem came from the weakest point in the chain: the Zen mini. Of course there are other details to improve later, but this server, which provisionally bought just to release my laptop, it may be "braking" a bit the rest of the system.

So, i´m considering the changing. Because Innuos has a good price/quality ratio and a ripper (very important for me), i´m trying to find wich one between Zen MK3 and Zenith MK3 because, at first sight there aren´t a lot differences, just in price.
I´m searching reviews, tech details, comparisons, etc.
Have you a tip?
(24-Jul-2020, 19:31)BoyScout Wrote: After a long talk with my dealer, and he knows my system very well, i realize that maybe my problem came from the weakest point in the chain: the Zen mini. Of course there are other details to improve later, but this server, which provisionally bought just to release my laptop, it may be "braking" a bit the rest of the system.

So, i´m considering the changing. Because Innuos has a good price/quality ratio and a ripper (very important for me), i´m trying to find wich one between Zen MK3 and Zenith MK3 because, at first sight there aren´t a lot differences, just in price.
I´m searching reviews, tech details, comparisons, etc.
Have you a tip?
I read that the Innuos streamers are good but have not used one. Are you using a linear power supply (LPSU)?  As a general statement, most streamers can be improved with a good LPSU.

If you have the money, upgrade the Innuos, get the EtherREGEN and buy LPSUs for both. If you have a limited budget, get LPSU for existing streamer or get EtherREGEN by itself.