Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet Cables make a difference
Funny how threads like this always end up in shouting. Even a civil place like DevialetChat. Smile
Technocrats tell us all that there can only be one truth; the one that WE hold. All others SHALL keep to this truth!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I am somewhat disappointed but not surprised that this thread has gone the way it has. I thought long and hard before putting it out there.
Believe me or not, it’s not harming me. I just thought it might be of interest to anyone considering this type of evaluation. I had a nagging partner desperate to stop me from taking the more expensive cable. I did the trial with a number of friends and the consensus of the group (inc my partner) was that the most enjoyable cable was consistently the same one. I didn’t state which was the most expensive during the test so it could be placebo but I was happy with the conclusion and remain content listening to my music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just would like to add here that I totally believe the OP. I have a setup that comprises of all three Audioquest Ethernet cables (Cinnamon, Vodka, and Diamond). And out of all of them the Diamond is my favourite. If you like AQ Vodka you really owe it to yourself to try the AQ Diamond. The differences are clear to hear between these cables, maybe a more subtle one between the Vodka and Diamond but a difference non the less. I have not done an ABX because the differences were so apparent I just did not feel the need. It is literally a WOW moment when you swap between them.
But it’s still not possible? The audio is transferred EXACTLY the same no matter the cable or input method or anything. Phantom ALWAYS requests the audio the same way and at the absolute maximum quality level. Even if your cable is crap and can’t handle all that audio data then the audio will just skip. It won’t compress or do anything different. It’s all digital and unchangable regardless of cable.

On the other hand your environment is always changing. Atmospherically it’s different each time you listen.

Devialet Phantom (White)
(31-Mar-2018, 18:48)steve_denney Wrote: I am somewhat disappointed but not surprised that this thread has gone the way it has. I thought long and hard before putting it out there.
Believe me or not, it’s not harming me. I just thought it might be of interest to anyone considering this type of evaluation. I had a nagging partner desperate to stop me from taking the more expensive cable. I did the trial with a number of friends and the consensus of the group (inc my partner) was that the most enjoyable cable was consistently the same one. I didn’t state which was the most expensive during the test so it could be placebo but I was happy with the conclusion and remain content listening to my music.

These threads always go this way on audio forums as long as they last long enough for maybe 15 or 20 posts. The effect here is generally smaller than on the broader forums like pink fish and whatsbest - probably because the heart of this forum is based on interest in, effectively, two or three Devialet core products.

I'm quite happy that steve and, latterly, rama claim there are or can be differences as they hear it; and that gremlim and, latterly, kmjy say it is a technically unchangeable outcome. I sign up to the latter views and yet still have sympathy with the former to an extent that I spend c.£300 on four Meicord ethernet cables because they are highly recommended by an established engineer-trained reviewer. 

And we are always in the position that jean-marie's ABX  proposal never happens. 

So we enter many of these threads with view I or view II or my view I/II - and exit the thread rarely changing our views. QED.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
IanG-UK has put it very nicely in the above post. I do think that we should all be very critical when spending our money in this hobby. Too much of snake oil out there. As for the Ethernet cables I believe the difference we hear has to do with jitter reduction due to EMI/RFI rejection. Here is a good article that hopefully explains the point more clearly:

https://darko.audio/2014/12/global-feedb...ifference/
My money is still on the laws of physics.

Sent using the internet, which I presume believers in magic cables think doesn't work properly and therefore that this thread is impossible!
+1 Agree.
Just one question to all.

Do you really think that physics knows it all until today?

I don't say physical laws are all wrong. All the measurements and other tests proof right on the paper but think of some physical laws that are not taught nor have yet been discovered or deeply thought of...e.g. think of fields, vibration...think Tesla. Did you give more than half an hour to the physics of this genius? There might be answers in his physics that could solve this whole dispute.

Unless we TRY to understand both sides of a discussion there will always be a 'fight' not needed.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
The Phantom wasn’t designed that way.

Devialet Phantom (White)