Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet cable upgrade
Dear fellas,
I would like to present here my present network configuration.
I m planning to enhance the network quality by upgrading the standard sheap ethernet cables i m currently using, and i was wondering what s the best way to do it???!!!
I was thinking of buying only one audioquest vodka ethernet cable and put it between the switch and the devialet, but then i tought may be one more between ethernet port and macbook pro could be nice also.
I m curently streaming tidal via roon/air with macbook pro wired to the ethernet port.
I need to have the router 2 for wifi, used for the family browsing , tv, satellite box.
I ve tried in the past to connect my devialet direct to router2 , with the same config without success and concluded that it was due to devialet and macbook receiving different ip adresses from 2 different routers.
After using the switch , problem solved, streaming from macbook is rock solid and sq is good.
I hope i made my self clear and simplified the connections, any help in the current config will be much helpfull and where to enhance the ethernet cables.
Thks again

[Image: 2ddd7e57ca5323a6a2e1555a4a5f2a9f.jpg]

Macbook pro -Air-Roon/-tidal-Devialet200 /frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Power conditionner:isotek evo3+isotek sequel pc
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina
(29-Nov-2017, 20:35)samsoum Wrote: Dear fellas,
I would like to present here my present network configuration.
I m planning to enhance the network quality by upgrading the standard sheap ethernet  cables i m currently using, and i was wondering what s the best way to do it???!!!
I was thinking of buying only one  audioquest vodka ethernet cable and put it between the switch and the devialet, but then i tought may be one more between ethernet port and macbook pro could be nice also.
I m curently streaming tidal via roon/air with macbook pro wired to the ethernet port.
I need to have the router 2 for wifi, used for the family browsing , tv, satellite box.
I ve tried in the past to connect my devialet direct to router2 , with the same config without success and concluded that it was due to devialet and macbook receiving different ip adresses from 2 different routers.
After using the switch , problem solved, streaming from macbook is rock solid and sq is good.
I hope i made my self clear and simplified the connections, any help in the current config will be much helpfull and where to enhance the ethernet cables.
Thks again

[Image: 2ddd7e57ca5323a6a2e1555a4a5f2a9f.jpg]

Macbook pro -Air-Roon/-tidal-Devialet200 /frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Power conditionner:isotek evo3+isotek sequel pc
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina

Hello Samsoum, I would try the following. Install a switch on Eth-Point MacPro and from there with a high quality cable to Devialet.
The advantage is that only the traffic between the Internet, notebook and devialet takes place on this cable. Since the point is connected via its own cable with the router 1. Shy
It's worth a try!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Hi k4680,
I appreciate your response, and i would like to clarify it .
What i understood is, to connect the switch on the eth port where the MacBook is located, and then connect the macbook and devialet to the switch???!!!
If this is what you mean, i can t do it, cause the devialet is in the other part of the living room, and by connecting it your way i will need an 8m Aq vodka cable and it will look inappropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi k4680,

I have experemented with network cables quite a bit and came to the conclusion that a good cable does make a significant improvement in SQ. It does not matter where it sits in the system, as long as it is in the signal path for the music.
I ended up with a audiquest vodka between the switch and the Roon Rock pc I use.
Recently added a second between the switch and the modem/router connected to the internet.

I found that a second good network cable improves the SQ even more, but to a lesser extent than the first.
A third one again improves the sound but again less than the first and second. The line to the Devialet in my home is 8 m, that I found to exepensive....
The first two are just the shortest 0.75 m vodka cables.

I would encourage you to try at least with one short vodka!
Thks rdok,
I m definitely going for one first, 1,5m vodka, and i thought i ll start by placing it between the switch and devialet first like you did.
Then i thought may be another one between ethernet port and macbook can lower the noise and enhance even better the sound.
Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-Dec-2017, 10:49)rdok Wrote: Hi k4680,

I have experemented with network cables quite a bit and came to the conclusion that a good cable does make a significant improvement in SQ. It does not matter where it sits in the system, as long as it is in the signal path for the music.
I ended up with a audiquest vodka between the switch and the Roon Rock pc I use.
Recently added a second between the switch and the modem/router connected to the internet.

I found that a second good network cable improves the SQ even more, but to a lesser extent than the first.
A third one again improves the sound but again less than the first and second. The line to the Devialet in my home is 8 m, that I found to exepensive....
The first two are just the shortest 0.75 m vodka cables.

I would encourage you to try at least with one short vodka!

Hi rdok, I've wired my entire audio LAN network with Supra CAT 8+. From the switch, to the devices I use Audioquest cable "Diamond". What I also found, not every LAN cable sounds good everywhere. Again, just test the cable yourself !! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
(01-Dec-2017, 14:10)K4680 Wrote: From the switch, to the devices I use Audioquest cable "Diamond".

+1 ... outstanding cable !!  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(01-Dec-2017, 16:04)audio_engr Wrote:
(01-Dec-2017, 14:10)K4680 Wrote: From the switch, to the devices I use Audioquest cable "Diamond".

+1 ... outstanding cable !!  Smile

Hello, exactly! Shy
1. From switch to network isolator to Melco, from Melco to Linn Klimax
2. From switch to network isolator to Devialet
Germany / Bavaria
I use 5 meter Supra CAT 8+ to devices. Anyone using more then 1 meter to device?
I have read few posts, some guys says 0.5 meter is best for SQ, I did not find any difference
(02-Dec-2017, 15:15)K4680 Wrote: 1. From switch to network isolator to Melco, from Melco to Linn Klimax
2. From switch to network isolator to Devialet

Thats a lot of $$$  ..  Big Grin
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US