Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet cable upgrade
I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Postta-Gigabit-...790&sr=1-7
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
(11-Feb-2018, 15:03)cereal killer Wrote: I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Postta-Gigabit-...790&sr=1-7
Have you tested these against, for example, Meicord or the very good quality, but not expensive Supra Ethernet Cables?
@KIBM, give the Supra cords a try, they are Cat8 and fully shielded, and to my ears sound better than the Meicord.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(22-Jan-2018, 02:39)Axel Wrote:
(21-Jan-2018, 17:54)KIBM Wrote: Got a couple of Cat6e Meicords and Cat7 AQ Vodkas. If I go all Meicord things sound a bit clearer but slightly leaner in bass. All Vodka and the sound has more impact and bass but I would say a touch veiled in the detail department compared to Meicord. I use a mixture.
I hate to even suggest that there is a difference in bloody ethernet cables but there it is - maybe it is a Cat6e vs Cat7 thing, whatever that is...... Huh

According to the Meicord site, the dressing of the cables so that they don’t cross each other on the way to the plug, eliminates NEXT (Near End Cross Talk).

That'll be FLAT CAT 7 cable then: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Postta-Gigabit-...790&sr=1-7
(11-Feb-2018, 15:49)cereal killer Wrote:
(21-Jan-2018, 17:54)KIBM Wrote: Got a couple of Cat6e Meicords and Cat7 AQ Vodkas. If I go all Meicord things sound a bit clearer but slightly leaner in bass. All Vodka and the sound has more impact and bass but I would say a touch veiled in the detail department compared to Meicord. I use a mixture.
I hate to even suggest that there is a difference in bloody ethernet cables but there it is - maybe it is a Cat6e vs Cat7 thing, whatever that is...... Huh

According to the Meicord site, the dressing of the cables so that they don’t cross each other on the way to the plug, eliminates NEXT (Near End Cross Talk).

That'll be FLAT CAT 7 cable then: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Postta-Gigabit-...790&sr=1-7

Yes, maybe. I myself used to use this type of flat cable, but found great improvements when switching to Meicord and especially with Supra. I think you might be surprised at the difference, and I’d like to hear your verdict.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I'll try get my hands on some, I'd be surprised if there's any difference.... but happy to find an improvement where ever possible.
@Axel - Do you use an audiophile grade switch too?
(11-Feb-2018, 23:14)cereal killer Wrote: I'll try get my hands on some, I'd be surprised if there's any difference.... but happy to find an improvement where ever possible.
@Axel - Do you use an audiophile grade switch too?
No, I don’t use an audio grade switch, but it is a good quality one with a metal case, although I’m not sure whether this would protect from electrical interference. I do however, use an Etalon Ethernet Isolator between the switch and my Devialet master. This provided the biggest hike in sound quality and I can highly recommend it.
Try the Supra cables with the chunky metal connectors here:

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/brands-cate...les#page=1

They do a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you hear no difference, you can return it.
South Coast England
(12-Feb-2018, 05:02)Axel Wrote: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/brands-cate...les#page=1

They do a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you hear no difference, you can return it.

I´m trying to find a short (0,5m) ethernet cable to link my dev directly to router, i don´t have the swith between anymore.
According to your experience, this couldl be the solution, right?
Is there anything in the genre but more flexible?
(12-Feb-2018, 19:04)BoyScout Wrote:
(12-Feb-2018, 05:02)Axel Wrote: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/brands-cate...les#page=1

I´m trying to find a short (0,5m) ethernet cable to link my dev directly to router, i don´t have the swith between anymore.
Yes, the Supra is more flexible than the Meicord, is Cat8 and is also less expensive. I can thoroughly recommend the Supra and as I’ve said before, if you buy it from Futureshop, you get a 60 day money back deal, so if you don’t like it or don’t hear a difference, you can send it back for a refund.
Keep us posted!
South Coast England
(11-Feb-2018, 15:49)cereal killer Wrote:

I very much doubt that flat cable is Cat.7
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-Feb-2018, 02:04)Axel Wrote:
(12-Feb-2018, 19:04)BoyScout Wrote:

Yes, the Supra is more flexible than the Meicord, is Cat8 and is also less expensive. I can thoroughly recommend the Supra and as I’ve said before, if you buy it from Futureshop, you get a 60 day money back deal, so if you don’t like it or don’t hear a difference, you can send it back for a refund.
Keep us posted!

And If you try that, try than also a ifi or better an Sbooster liniar Power Supply on your cablemodem , router and switch, wich has a much greater impact on the SQ.