Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet cable upgrade
(02-Mar-2018, 01:30)bernardl Wrote: Team,

I do believe that analog cables can make a difference in sound, but I am still at a loss why a network cable in an asynchronous set up would make the slightest difference.

Indeed when using Air the Devialet reconstructs the audio digital stream from asynchronous TCP/IP packets, so the timing (or jitter) of the packet as they travel over the ethernet cables should have absolutely zero impact on the sound.

Anybody with an explanation?

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe the shielding used in the Cat7 and 8 types of cable prevent ingress of RFI/EMI, making for a blacker background?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(02-Mar-2018, 04:29)Axel Wrote:

I do believe that analog cables can make a difference in sound, but I am still at a loss why a network cable in an asynchronous set up would make the slightest difference.

Indeed when using Air the Devialet reconstructs the audio digital stream from asynchronous TCP/IP packets, so the timing (or jitter) of the packet as they travel over the ethernet cables should have absolutely zero impact on the sound.

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe the shielding used in the Cat7 and 8 types of cable prevent ingress of RFI/EMI, making for a blacker background?

No it wouldn't, theres no analog info, all is 1 & 0 as in digital format. if 100% packet data isn't delivered it simply wouldn't play. Digital signal really is on or off. Analog on the other hand can be manipulated should there be need.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
(02-Mar-2018, 08:30)cereal killer Wrote:
(02-Mar-2018, 04:29)Axe Wrote: Maybe the shielding used in the Cat7 and 8 types of cable prevent ingress of RFI/EMI, making for a blacker background?

No it wouldn't, theres no analog info, all is 1 & 0 as in digital format. if 100% packet data isn't delivered it simply wouldn't play. Digital signal really is on or off. Analog on the other hand can be manipulated should there be need.

So what happens with so many audiophiles that notice the difference, not to mention the manufacturers themselves?
I can not speak for my own experience, yet, but I'm curious to test my next ETH cables.
I am also a skeptic on this subject.
(02-Mar-2018, 15:56)BoyScout Wrote:
(02-Mar-2018, 08:30)cereal killer Wrote:
(02-Mar-2018, 04:29)Axe Wrote: Maybe the shielding used in the Cat7 and 8 types of cable prevent ingress of RFI/EMI, making for a blacker background?

So what happens with so many audiophiles that notice the difference, not to mention the manufacturers themselves?
I can not speak for my own experience, yet, but I'm curious to test my next ETH cables.
I am also a skeptic on this subject.

They want to hear a difference so they do... i doubt any audiophile ethernet cable manufacturer could stand up in court and provide a technical data sheet explaining why they think their 1m cable can transform a signal coming down 10,000m of cables and magically make it 'transform' into and 'audiophile standard' ..... tiz bollox of the highest order IMHO.

I admit to SSDs sounding better as does my QNAP TS-251+ (8GB RAM) over my previous TS-214 with 6TB HDDS and only 512mb RAM. The new NAS was a clear winner. I also noticed a difference between freebie CAT5 and the current CAT7 but on inspection i found the CAT5 to be copper coated alloy conductors. The Postta CAT7 cables i use now are 99.99% OFC copper and cost £6 & £8 each.
But as you yourself said, it's all error-checked digital data so why should Cat-5 with copper-coated alloy conductors sound different to Cat-7 with OFC copper?  Why should an SSD sound different to a spinning disk?  There is no difference to the digital data in either case.

You seem to be wanting to have your cake and eat it by attributing sound differences to specific features of the cables and NAS, but rejecting shielding of a digital cable as a possible source of sound differences.  My take is that it's fine to say you hear a difference but especially with digital audio you're on pretty dodgy ground if you selectively try to explain what's making that difference by reference to technical features (unless you've done more rigorous tests to demonstrate your theory, of course).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The new NAS is more than 100x quicker, fact. SSDs have a record and known reason why they help digital data systems work better/faster.
The new QNAP has a completely different chassis earthing and a more up to date SMPS.
The ethernet standard over electrical wire operates on the OSI model. The physical layer uses good old-fashioned electricity to do its stuff, in a very complex fashion in order to achieve high speeds. Usually there is some electrical isolation at each NIC. I think the isolation is mandated, though there have been some famous omissions - I seem to recall early Raspberry Pi's didn't have isolated NICs (it was a manufacturing error I seem to recall). but this doesn't isolate for all types of noise, so yes there is opportunity for noise to creep in over wired/copper ethernet. How much, or what effect it has would need to be measured.
@Rufus McDufus 

Sorry to jump into this thread and go off track, but would you have any comments to my queries in the Entreq Ground Box thread (Entreq Ground Boxes).

Thanks
John

PS  back on thread, I have Supra Cat 8 cables and everything working good for me (I have them connected to my AQVox switch)
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Here's a thread from elsewhere. Post #46 does show that there are measurable differences (in certain parameters) between the Audioquest Diamond LAN cable and a decent (but non-audiophile) LAN cable:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index....msg1242455
(02-Mar-2018, 08:30)cereal killer Wrote:
(02-Mar-2018, 04:29)Axel Wrote:

Cheers,
Bernard

@cereal killer
So why would they bother shielding cables at all? For fun?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England