Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet or wifi streaming and white noise on Mac
(17-Jun-2015, 17:28)IanG-UK Wrote: I feel I owe readers an update on my (and many many others') AIR "white noise" issue since it is now almost seven weeks since I started this thread and it is around a year since I first raised this with my dealer and/or distributor and/or Devialet.

I won't go over all the futile experiments I've conducted (effectively on Devialet's behalf, over that one year period) to try to track down the fault. When what should have happened is that Devialet should have immediately conducted rather more focussed experiments and concluded them nine months ago.

The fact remains that a good proportion of Devialet's users, who want to use AIR, find it is faulty. And have found it faulty for many months.

I find it annoying that Devialet can devote the time and efforts of 60 engineers, over a year or more, to develop Phantom (their "budget" product) and yet fail to deliver their four year old "flagship" product (fortunately no longer called "Premier") as a priority. Especially when AIR was one of Devialet's four USPs (ADH, EVO, AIR, SAM).

Perhaps this is an indication that the focus has shifted from sustained quality to substantial profitability.

Understandable but regrettably dishonest.

+1 for this Ian! My more or less same conclusion over a year ago when the CEO send us an e-mail stating between the lines that they would  become a full lifestyle company ie goodnight Expertline.
After the meeting with Devialet in Munich my view of Devialet took a turn for the worse.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Yes Mike the focus has definitely shifted.

In relation to AIR, they don't even reply to emails these days.

My conclusion is that AIR, in its current form, is faulty and insoluble, or soluable only with resource they would rather deploy on newer profitable kit. And they won't admit it.

Still a good, albeit flawed, product but now, regrettably, a dishonourable company.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(19-Jun-2015, 11:13)IanG-UK Wrote: Yes Mike the focus has definitely shifted.

In relation to AIR, they don't even reply to emails these days.

My conclusion is that AIR, in its current form, is faulty and insoluble, or soluable only with resource they would rather deploy on newer profitable kit. And they won't admit it.

Still a good, albeit flawed, product but now, regrettably, a dishonourable company.

The rumour is that UPnP support will be available by the end of the year so maybe AIR will be ditched?  That would be a shame as it works very well in my system though I have had to stay on an old version of OS X (Snow Leopard) and AIR 2.1.2 to avoid the issues that many others have reported.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Mac OS 10.10.4 is out now.

Apple dropped their discoveryd-system with OS 10.10.4 to solve their network and wlan problems.

It would be great if anyone who has still white noise or drop outs with OS 10.10.4 would tell us here. I´m testing for one hour now - for the moment no white noise.
Yesterday I had my D250 playing for almost all day through ethernet and I discovered a noise I haven't heard before. It was like a tapping noise, like someone tapping on top of the track. It started happening after a couple of hours of playing. When I stopped the music there was a residual noise of this tapping. Restarted the Devialet and everything went back to normal. But again after another prolonged period it started again. Went to the computer disconnected air and reconnected again and the noise was gone.
I am using the latest version of firmware 8.1.3 with the latest Air. Anyone experienced anything similar?
Thanks

Marco
(15-Aug-2015, 23:18)marcor Wrote: Yesterday I had my D250 playing for almost all day through ethernet and I discovered a noise I haven't heard before. It was like a tapping noise, like someone tapping on top of the track. It started happening after a couple of hours of playing. When I stopped the music there was a residual noise of this tapping. Restarted the Devialet and everything went back to normal. But again after another prolonged period it started again. Went to the computer disconnected air and reconnected again and the noise was gone.
I am using the latest version of firmware 8.1.3 with the latest Air. Anyone experienced anything similar?
Thanks

Marco

A lot of people here experience that problem, and it is a common problem that devialet "try" to fix, even member here try to find the cause and a solution. Do some research on forum, you will find plenty of post about white noise, cracking, drop out.

I suggest to you to use USB connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacMini > Roon  > D220pro > NAIM Naca5 > Dynaudio Special 40
(15-Aug-2015, 23:18)marcor Wrote: Yesterday I had my D250 playing for almost all day through ethernet and I discovered a noise I haven't heard before. It was like a tapping noise, like someone tapping on top of the track. It started happening after a couple of hours of playing. When I stopped the music there was a residual noise of this tapping. Restarted the Devialet and everything went back to normal. But again after another prolonged period it started again. Went to the computer disconnected air and reconnected again and the noise was gone.
Thanks

Marco

This sounds a bit like the wi-fi seeking noise. In the configurator, open the phono properties, then under advanced settings enable Auto Wi-Fi Standby.

Hope this helps.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem happens playing through ethernet. I tried to completely disable the wifi in case there were interferences but no luck. Before the update to 8.1.3 I never had this problem, in fact I switched to ethernet to solve all the wifi problems I was having. I will try to go back to wifi  and see if for some weird Stroke of luck, it started behaving properly now.

M
Ok, I gave it a try and WiFi is still rubbish. It start crackling even before ethernet....
For wifi, I believe 16/44.1 music is fine, but anything higher, white noise will occur.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier