Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
See also my update (12 July 2014) in the Buffer thread. There may be something in @AlexS's theory that these issues are related....
Ugh just got this white noise yesterday. Volume was set pretty high because the album I was listening to was pretty quiet. Pretty unnerving, almost gave me and my guests a heart attack.

I was using direct Ethernet connection. PC runs Windows 8.1 Pro, and I keep the computer running 24/7 with occasional restarts. Buffer set to 500ms, bit perfect enabled, using latest version of JRiver. Files were 16/44.1 FLAC.

I don't care about any supposed sound benefits of Ethernet or AIR if the god damn thing does garbage like this. I'll stick with USB. Utter garbage.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
Hi

happened to me for the first time the other day when I had friends round. It guess it was around 3 hours, must be the first time it had been on for that long.

Same set up for me as above but ethernet is via a router and 2 switches and buffer is 100ms.

fortunately mine was background music so no harm done. A reboot of PC and devialet and no further problems.
@Chris Marshall - This is interesting, you seem to have exactly the same issue that I do, and very similar to others here, the dreaded white noise after about 3 hours. We are struggling to pin down the cause, reported cases with Windows / Macs / Jriver / iTunes etc. Can you advise what you are using? This may serve to help isolate the cause, or it may just add evidence that this issue is fairly universal? I suspect there is a common theme, but so far it remains very illusive.

To try and isolate the cause by elimination, are there any Ethernet users that have run for 3 hours plus without the white noise issue?
I've had the white noise issue 4 or 5 times over the last two months.

JRiver MC19 on Windows 7 PC (WASAPI) via ethernet.

I'm using the default buffer settings (whatever they are).

I couldn't say for certain that it happens after 3 hours, but that does seem about right. I certainly don't remember having it within an hour or so of starting a session.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I have (knock on wood) only had the issue once. I run foobar with wasapi, standard buffer in foobar. The buffer size on air is 50ms. When I happened I rebooted the PC and it fixed the issue. I don't shutdown my PC, hence it can run for many days without problems. The PC runs win 8,1. The PC is only used for audio, and sometimes US Netflix from chrome, but nothing else.

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
Hi Matt (& Mr Morten) - Thanks for the input. A definite trend immerging here now......

Please keep the input going folks!
Do you guys hear a difference between AIR and USB? A difference that's substantial enough to make it worthwhile dealing with this major issue?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
All, thank you for your feedback.
In about a month, I'll be reporting this to Thierry. I will attach a link to this forum's thread, so he can see the problem is relatively wide spread.
Perhaps, as a work-around (at least, for those with shorter listening sessions), regular PC restarts may be a good idea, as this deletes temporary files, and may release some leaked memory.
I also restart AIR from time to time. With these precautions, I've been able to avoid this issue for about a month now (with the basic 16/44 format).
Also, for those using Foobar, it may be a good idea to increase the size of the hardware event buffer (Preferences --> Advanced --> Playback/WASAPI). I was surprised the default was only 25ms. I reset it to 250.
I really like the quality of Ethernet streaming. It's the best streaming mode by definition, because Ethernet is a loss-less protocol, with guaranteed packet delivery.
Let's not give up. We should have Devialet look into this issue again. Feel free to email them separately, as this will put additional pressure on them.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
Jriver MC19, Windows 8.1, wasapi, ethernet, 100ms buffer.

Seems a common problem, and an odd one as well!

I didn't notice at the time but does it happen when a new track starts, or partway through?

If a new track, is there a connection between a change of sample rates maybe?

Lets hope someone at Devialet can find out what's going on soon.