Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(25-Jul-2014, 00:17)pete86 Wrote: Has anyone ever used the internal brown noise generator? If so, does the noise sound the same as this noise? I just noticed this option in the configurator, beneath the WiFi section, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

ummmm, no. Never heard of it! What on earth would this be for?
Devialet describes it as being useful for breaking in new speakers.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(24-Jul-2014, 20:39)Georgethesixth Wrote: Hello,

Today, the dreaded white noise syndrome occurred two times. It happened both times after I changed something to the running playlist. Once when resuming after pausing the music, and once when selecting a new album. Is this a coincidence or has anyone the same experience ?

Does someone knows if Devialet is working on this issue ? If they know how to reproduce the problem, we can stop with incident reports Smile.

Tx,
Joris

Joris, of the two instances of this problem, one did happen after I paused the track for several minutes. But I don't know if it was just a coincidence. After that, I did pause tracks without issues, although for relatively short periods of time. If you or someone else would like to experiment with pausing and resuming, it could yield some useful data.

Gentlemen, when you email Devialet from their web site, make sure you respond to the auto-generated email, by clicking a link in the email. Without that, Devilaet will never see your request. I made this mistake once. Also, do point them to this thread, so they can see the extent of the problem.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
For me, I can at times be regularly switching tracks, messing with play lists, pausing, even swapping between Jriver and iTunes, with no white noise issues. That is until the whole system has been running 3 hours plus, then the white noise can happen at any time, for me usually just mid track when I am not playing with anything else. I'll stick my neck out here, and conclude that when white noise occurs after pausing, updating playlists or whatever, this is indeed just a coincidence. If anyone does spot a definite pattern though, I would be more than happy to eat my words! Irrespective of all this, the clear fact is that the problem should not be occurring at all, irrespective of how people use playlist or whatever else.

Anyway, I have sent an email to Devialet, and I have indeed provided them a pointer to this thread. I hope they take their time to investigate and come up with a robust solution to this one! OK, problems like this happen in the modern world, for me I am not remotely critical of Devialet in this respect, with the interaction of different computer set ups, operating systems etc., the number of potential variables are vast. I think the true test of the company will be their ability to rectify emergent issues like this. If they can solve this one, I for one would be very grateful and at the same time quietly impressed. Time will tell.
An update. Listening to iTunes only this morning, I actually set the timer on my iPhone to record any white noise events. After 40 minutes I did have one track that flicked onto white noise for 5 second after about 40 minutes running time, it then automatically reverted back to "normal" music. After 55 minutes, I had the white noise issue in earnest, fully stopping playing music and switching to white noise, requiring a disable / enable of AIR to rectify. This is obviously a different pattern to my normal "white noise after 3 hours". Have I changed anything? Yes, earlier in the week I had tried swapping from "never stream automatically to it" to "always stream to it automatically" in the Devialet AIR GUI. Time will tell if this follows a pattern, but it is at least of interest that a setting change in Devialet AIR appears to change the pattern of occurrence of this issue.
(26-Jul-2014, 11:58)Confused Wrote: An update. Listening to iTunes only this morning, I actually set the timer on my iPhone to record any white noise events. After 40 minutes I did have one track that flicked onto white noise for 5 second after about 40 minutes running time, it then automatically reverted back to "normal" music. After 55 minutes, I had the white noise issue in earnest, fully stopping playing music and switching to white noise, requiring a disable / enable of AIR to rectify. This is obviously a different pattern to my normal "white noise after 3 hours". Have I changed anything? Yes, earlier in the week I had tried swapping from "never stream automatically to it" to "always stream to it automatically" in the Devialet AIR GUI. Time will tell if this follows a pattern, but it is at least of interest that a setting change in Devialet AIR appears to change the pattern of occurrence of this issue.

Brian, is it fair to say that this issue occurs more frequently to you when you play iTunes vs JRiver? Does your iItunes still up-sample all formats to 24/192? I still suspect that the problem is more likely to occur with the 24/192 format than any other.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
@AlexS - No, I have often achieved a 3 hour run using iTunes......
Yesterday I switched "always stream to it automatically" back to "never stream automatically to it". This morning (timed with an iPhone) I achieved 1 hour dead prior to the dreaded white noise. So ignore my post before last! My white noise after 3 hours seems to have reduced to 1. Perhaps a statistical blip? Maybe it is, but I'll keep tracking this 'till it makes sense.
Just tried the following. Full PC reboot, Jriver WASAPI only, 16/44.1 files only. No messing with playlist, pausing or anything else, just full album run-throughs. Ran ok for 48 minutes, then switched to almost silence, with just very scratchy sounding quiet music in the background. That's a new one! My quest to find a clear pattern in all this is, ummmmm, getting interesting. My confused tag started as a bit of a joke but it seems to be getting more and more appropriate with respect to this particular issue.
Perhaps my previous habit of switching between iTunes and Jriver has actually increased run time to white noise some how? This will make sense one day. (possibly in the very distant future)
(27-Jul-2014, 11:07)Confused Wrote: Just tried the following. Full PC reboot, Jriver WASAPI only, 16/44.1 files only. No messing with playlist, pausing or anything else, just full album run-throughs. Ran ok for 48 minutes, then switched to almost silence, with just very scratchy sounding quiet music in the background. That's a new one! My quest to find a clear pattern in all this is, ummmmm, getting interesting. My confused tag started as a bit of a joke but it seems to be getting more and more appropriate with respect to this particular issue.
Perhaps my previous habit of switching between iTunes and Jriver has actually increased run time to white noise some how? This will make sense one day. (possibly in the very distant future)

Did you upgrade to 7.1.1 ? I'm silently hoping that might solve the problem. What I don't understand is the deafening silence of Devialet. If they would acknowledge the problem and suggest a workaround (USB ?), I could live with that.