Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(29-Jul-2014, 19:51)AlexS Wrote: @Georgethesixth, I thought Devialet was using unicasting for streaming. AIR does know the exact IP address of the Devialet (and shows it, when it's connected). So, why would AIR need to broadcast messages? Well, that's a topic for a different thread (perhaps, one titled "Know your Devialet" Smile

I wonder what useful info you'd be able to gather with a network tap, even if you catch it at white noise act. How would you know if AIR sends "noise" packets to the Devialet, or if the noise originates in the Devialet itself (needless to say, I suspect the former). Perhaps, the packets would contain only 1's (no 0's) - that's what white noise is, is it not?
What I'm after is to check if there is some memory misuse on AIR's part. Would one see used RAM grow as one continues playing music? The procedure should be simple:
After playing music, open "Task Manager" and note the used memory. Shut down AIR, and see how much memory was released. Take these measurements for music sessions of various lengths. If longer sessions consistently result in AIR's increased memory consumption, there is a memory leak, which should be reported to Devialet.
Yet I'm not up to lengthy experiments. It's in our best interest to communicate our concerns to Devialet as soon as possible (and the more emails, the better), to start them actively working on this (and we've collectively identified the pattern: a prolonged streaming session). For Devialet to work on this issue would - arguably - be a better investment of effort than SAMifying the speakers that simply don't benefit from SAM.

AlexS,

Could it be that the Devialet announces it's presence to the AIR clients using broadcasts on 45454 ? I do suppose so. Neither in the AIR-client, not in the configurator one has to enter an IP-address.

There is one thing that might indicate more problems than an AIR memory leak. If the system produces white noise and after only the server is rebooted, the problem persists. That's why I would like into the traffic. It is only solved after restarting both Devialet and client.
I have not done any serious troubleshooting yet. It could be that you only have to restart the AIR-client periodically to get rid of the problem. If that would be the case, a quick workaround that kills and restarts AiR every x minutes might do the trick as temporary solution.

Joris
Joris,
Yes, probably broadcasting for the initial handshake.
Now, you're the only one who can INDUCE the white noise problem. Even if your steps for doing so are artificial, they may be useful for Devialet in troubleshooting. It may well be another symptom of the same illness. Have you contacted Devialet with your findings?
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
I just did so.
I have confirmation from Devialet that they are investigating the issue, this is good news I think. The have requested a copy of the configuration per my SD card, which is interesting......
(30-Jul-2014, 13:31)Confused Wrote: I have confirmation from Devialet that they are investigating the issue, this is good news I think. The have requested a copy of the configuration per my SD card, which is interesting......
Also received confirmation they are working on it. They have forwarded the observation to engineering.
I noticed that with the updated firmware (7.1.1) Devialet is also listing the Air software (2.1.2). That doesn't appear to be new firmware, as Air 2.1.2 was released with the 7.1 update. But it just might be an update that solves the "white noise" issue. Why? If you look closely at the supporting text on the Devialet website, you will see one of the bug fixes is "Fix the noise problem in WASPI (Windows only)" Could it be that this is NEW firmware that fixes our common problem? Could it be that Devialet should have numbered it 2.1.3? This evening I will try to download the "new" Air software and try it out.

Or maybe I am delusional and the supporting text is the same that was posted with the release of the 2.1.2 Air upgrade when it was released with the 7.1 firmware. I cannot find the "original" text of the updates to Air 2.1.2 to compare...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
@Flashman - Oddly enough, I went through almost exactly the same thought process as you, this was last night when I was busy updating to 7.1.1 firmware.

I think the "fix the noise problem" line must relate to something else? The reason being that I have had correpondence today from Devialet confirming they are still working on the white noise issue. So if Devialet think it isn't fixed yet, I guess it isn't fixed yet!

Does anyone know what the "old" noise problem was that 2.1.2 fixed?
(31-Jul-2014, 12:56)Confused Wrote: @Flashman - Oddly enough, I went through almost exactly the same thought process as you, this was last night when I was busy updating to 7.1.1 firmware.

I think the "fix the noise problem" line must relate to something else? The reason being that I have had correpondence today from Devialet confirming they are still working on the white noise issue. So if Devialet think it isn't fixed yet, I guess it isn't fixed yet!

I heard that there was a white noise problem before, no idea of the details though.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(31-Jul-2014, 08:06)Flashman Wrote: I noticed that with the updated firmware (7.1.1) Devialet is also listing the Air software (2.1.2). That doesn't appear to be new firmware, as Air 2.1.2 was released with the 7.1 update. But it just might be an update that solves the "white noise" issue. Why? If you look closely at the supporting text on the Devialet website, you will see one of the bug fixes is "Fix the noise problem in WASPI (Windows only)" Could it be that this is NEW firmware that fixes our common problem? Could it be that Devialet should have numbered it 2.1.3? This evening I will try to download the "new" Air software and try it out.

Or maybe I am delusional and the supporting text is the same that was posted with the release of the 2.1.2 Air upgrade when it was released with the 7.1 firmware. I cannot find the "original" text of the updates to Air 2.1.2 to compare...

(31-Jul-2014, 12:56)Confused Wrote: @Flashman - Oddly enough, I went through almost exactly the same thought process as you, this was last night when I was busy updating to 7.1.1 firmware.

Ah, good catch. I guess we will have to wait. No idea about "old" noise problem.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(31-Jul-2014, 12:56)Confused Wrote: Does anyone know what the "old" noise problem was that 2.1.2 fixed?

I think the "old" problem was the very same white noise. Perhaps, they improved the situation a little (or thought they did) with AIR 2.1.2, which was released in May. When I first complained about the white noise to Thierry, in the end of June, he replied that they'd thought they nailed it with 2.1.2. So, there was an attempt. Hence this item in the 2.1.2 release notes.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II