Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(22-Apr-2016, 14:11)Dr Tone Wrote: I will never be 100% confident enough in Air in it's current state to turn up the volume and enjoy the music.  The smaller subset of well mastered music I've extracted from my large main collection is close to 50% high bitrate.

Apart from AIR simply being broken, that 'enjoying the music' aspect was a big issue for me too.

I listen to a lot of electronic genres, and there's a fair amount of vinyl dust and similar 'noises' used in the mix. But the onset of the AIR problem sounds kind of similar so I was always on edge wondering if it was the music or AIR. Sometimes it was the music, sometimes AIR, sometimes both. It drove me a bit mad at times, and that was all I focussed on 'do I need to reset AIR'. Argh.

What worried me most was leaving music playing while I was out of the room, or even out of the house, only to come back and find it out of control.

And if I'm honest, I was also really embarrassed when anyone came round, to the point I wouldn't want to play it as I couldn't bare having to explain why this shiny beautiful £5000 amp was making weird noises…… Oh, the fond memories…..

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(22-Apr-2016, 14:26)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(22-Apr-2016, 14:11)Dr Tone Wrote: I will never be 100% confident enough in Air in it's current state to turn up the volume and enjoy the music.  The smaller subset of well mastered music I've extracted from my large main collection is close to 50% high bitrate.

I listen to a lot of electronic genres, and there's a fair amount of vinyl dust and  similar 'noises' used in the mix.  But the onset of the AIR problem sounds kind of similar so I was always on edge wondering if it was the music or AIR.  Sometimes it was the music, sometimes AIR, sometimes both.  It drove me a bit mad at times, and that was all I focussed on 'do I need to reset AIR'. Argh.

White noise was never over the music for me, it was music or just a complete blast of white noise that would send you running across the room.

PS) I felt your embarrassing comment needed to be more public on twitter: https://twitter.com/OriginalDrTone/statu...3313146882
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Yes, I think the Mac and Windows suffer different problems. I never had the 'blast' of noise, although what would start out as feint crackles and pops, would escalate over time until the sound was completely out of control. Less scary, but still scary in a way - I came back in from the garden once and had to run for the volume. I suppose for those seriously into noise (a real genre from memory), it may be a bonus feature?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Isn't the new AIR 3 coming out very soon? I understand the Devialet engineers are working very hard on it?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Apr-2016, 15:39)Confused Wrote: Isn't the new AIR 3 coming out very soon?  I understand the Devialet engineers are working very hard on it?

Devialet won't reply to any of my requests for a status update on AIR.  The fix will most likely require replacing the streaming module in the Expert line or replacing it with some other crappy piece of hardware they try to pawn on their owners.

It's been 2 years, if they can't fix a driver in that period of time there is a much bigger issue.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

As Steely Dan once wrote, "FM, no static at all"....

Sadly that was the case for me. After around 2-2 1/2 of playback of purely DSD content, static.

I am using the Devialet Windows AIR Driver version 2.13 I didn't try using the beta driver. Anyone have success using the beta driver?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
It looks like we raised enough noise to get a response:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...hite-noise-

(22-Apr-2016, 20:41)Dr Tone Wrote: It looks like we raised enough noise to get a response:

Yes, a new version of AIR coming soon.  (although we have heard that before from Devialet)  Nevertheless, at least some response from Devialet, for me this is good, it was the utter wall of silence that was bugging me most.

It does show that a bit of hounding can get results, and excellent work by the Cockchafer. IanG's AIR survey poll probably helped a bit too.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Apr-2016, 20:41)Dr Tone Wrote: It looks like we raised enough noise to get a response:

That beta is at least a year old but the most recent comment - which I believe is what you're referring to - indicates a new version is on the way pending internal validation.

Hope springs eternal, but they really need to get this update right.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
After all the crap everyone has gone through, do you ever really trust the new driver? How long do you have continually stream DSD, stress the computer and network while streaming before you will actually turn the volume up again?