Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet white noise/static with Mac mini
I have an upgraded Devialet 250. Prior to the upgrade I used a Simaudio Moon MIND to stream to the Premier D using an AES/XLR cable. After the upgrade I decided to use a dedicated Mac mini as a server and store my music on an external hard drive. I also connected the 250 and Mac mini directly to the router with Cat7. I connected the external hard drive to the Mac Mini with an Audioquest Carbon USB3 cable.

I am experiencing the same white noise/static issues that the PC folks are experiencing on the site. If I use the MIND with the AES/XLR cable then I do not experience any issues at all. I have been in contact with Devialet and in their last communication they thought that upgrading the cables would solve the problem and it didn't. This clearly seems like a Devialet Air issue. I have just emailed them again.
I like the simplicity of using iTunes and the Apple remote. The Moon Mind iPad interface just isn't user friendly at all.

My Devialet is hanging on a wall on the first floor of my home and the music server is in the basement immediately below it about 25 ft away. This is another reason that the Ethernet option was appealing and also using the AES at this distance was not an issue. This distance is an issue though if I wanted to connect via a USB 3 cable. Is there a bit perfect connector for an AES/XLR to use on a Mac mini?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I have a very similar problem when connecting an iMac to my Devialet 200. I don't get white noise though. I guess the noise I get could be described as static, to me it sounds rather similar to vinyl clicks and pops.

Do you think it is the same issue?

This is using ethernet AIR, not wireless AIR. With wireless I get occasional dropouts which is clearly a different issue.

I am currently wirelessly streaming to an apple TV (and then optical to the Devialet) to get round the problem. This works flawlessly. Before anyone mentions it I am aware this causes a bitrate conversion to 48khz but I cannot hear any ill effects. It also means I have been able to update to Yosemite
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
Devialet doesn't seem to be in a hurry or capable of solving the white noise issue. This could be an option for USB in your situation, not a really cheap solution but it is quite popular under 'computer audiophiles' that also seek galvanic isolation: http://www.adnaco.com/products/s3a/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I thought White Noise was limited to the PC World...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(20-Oct-2014, 14:14)Antoine Wrote: Devialet doesn't seem to be in a hurry or capable of solving the white noise issue. This could be an option for USB in your situation, not a really cheap solution but it is quite popular under 'computer audiophiles' that also seek galvanic isolation: http://www.adnaco.com/products/s3a/

I thought that the distance from my server to Devialet was an issue with USB? That is why I also asked about a converter that was bit perfect to connect the AES cable to the Mac.

(20-Oct-2014, 14:14)Antoine Wrote: Devialet doesn't seem to be in a hurry or capable of solving the white noise issue. This could be an option for USB in your situation, not a really cheap solution but it is quite popular under 'computer audiophiles' that also seek galvanic isolation: http://www.adnaco.com/products/s3a/

I apologize, I quickly read your response at work without looking at the link. Thank you for the link!
No problem. Smile

And yes, it's a fiber optic extension system up to super speed USB 3 (5Gbps) that's also backwards compatible with USB 2 and 1, allowing lengths up to and above 100 meters.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(20-Oct-2014, 16:45)Antoine Wrote: No problem. Smile

And yes, it's a fiber optic extension system up to super speed USB 3 (5Gbps) that's also backwards compatible with USB 2 and 1, allowing lengths up to and above 100 meters.

Here is the response from Adnaco when I asked if it would work with a Mac mini:
Our all PCIe extensions/expansions systems including Adnaco-S3B should work (by design) on any computer having PCIe aware operating systems and having at least one PCIe slot for H1A card.
But we have tested them on Linux and Windows platforms, some our customers tested also on VxWorks.
Unfortunately we don’t have mac mini to test.
Make sure that you have possibility to disable PCIe power management on your computer.

I was reading a thread on Computer Audiophile earlier and it was discussing the Stello U3 as an option. Anyone with experience with this item?
I'm sorry! I now see that you're using a Mac Mini. This computer does not have a PCIe slot so the Adnaco-S3B is NOT an option. There is a solution that connects to a USB 3 port but I don't know anything about it's quality. (http://www.adnaco.com/products/su1/)

The Stello U3 is merely a USB-SPDIF converter for DAC's that don't have a USB input. I have no experience with this device but I think the Devialet provides a much higher quality USB solution.

The Netherlands
(21-Oct-2014, 03:54)drdkey Wrote: ...some our customers tested also on VxWorks.

Completely off topic (sorry), but nice to see a mention for VxWorks which I work with for a living.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(21-Oct-2014, 04:57)Antoine Wrote: I'm sorry! I now see that you're using a Mac Mini. This computer does not have a PCIe slot so the Adnaco-S3B is NOT an option. There is a solution that connects to a USB 3 port but I don't know anything about it's quality. (http://www.adnaco.com/products/su1/)

The Stello U3 is merely a USB-SPDIF converter for DAC's that don't have a USB input. I have no experience with this device but I think the Devialet provides a much higher quality USB solution.

I actually was looking at it from the perspective of having the AES/XLR connection due to the distance of my server to Devialet being about 25 ft apart on 2 separate floors