Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet white noise/static with Mac mini
I have emailed Devialet on several items and usually get an answer within 48 hours. I emailed them over a week ago about this issue and I have not received any correspondence!
I'm aware of a couple of audio companies that have complained about the very short lead times that Apple gives on release of an OS update. The CEO of Auralic has complained publicly. So I wouldn't be too quick to blame Devialet.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
The Yosemite public beta was available on 24th July.

So the question is, do you think 3 months is enough notice?

Personally, I do.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
(22-Oct-2014, 12:54)canyelles Wrote: The Yosemite public beta was available on 24th July.

Personally, I do.

I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet
(22-Oct-2014, 12:54)canyelles Wrote: The Yosemite public beta was available on 24th July.

Personally, I do.
I contacted Devialet about AIR not working with Yosemite days after the first public beta was made available. And even before the public beta there were several developer beta versions available. I should think Devialet has access to the Apple Developers program. That's somewhat more than 3 month's time to adapt or rewrite AIR.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(23-Oct-2014, 09:38)Eddye Wrote:

Personally, I do.
I contacted Devialet about AIR not working with Yosemite days after the first public beta was made available. And even before the public beta there were several developer beta versions available. I should think Devialet has access to the Apple Developers program. That's somewhat more than 3 month's time to adapt or rewrite AIR.

Quite. Devialet have to think of themselves as a software company as well as one that manufactures hifi. If they are not in the developer program they should be.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
(23-Oct-2014, 11:57)canyelles Wrote:
(23-Oct-2014, 09:38)Eddye Wrote:

Personally, I do.

Quite. Devialet have to think of themselves as a software company as well as one that manufactures hifi. If they are not in the developer program they should be.

I had friends over last night and was listening for several hours with Devialet Air and Ethernet. A common thread is that issues occur at higher resolution files with both. If I am playing a CD quality file there is no issue. I am going to disconnect the server from the basement and put it on the floor underneath the Devialet and connect via USB an see if all issues resolve as I anticipate they will as I had no issues when connected via the MIND with the AES cable. I love the sound quality of the Devialet but I am very disappointed at this price that they are not delivering what has been promised nor are they responding to any of us!
I connected to the Devialet this weekend with a Nordost Heimdall USB cable and it was amazing! Great sound quality and wonderful to not have static or music dropping out! I am less concerned with Devialet Air as the frustration and time trying to figure out the problem cost more than this cable.
You could also experiment with feeding the Devialet a clean USB power and ground using for example a Mikrotik 5v USB Injector plus a +5V linear PSU or battery power (e.g. Anker E4/E5 1st generation power bank). I use a dual headed USB cable (Kingrex) for this purpose but if/when people already own a high quality USB cable this could improve SQ as well. These types of Y-cables are also offered by JCat, iFi, YFS, Revelations Audio Lab, Light Harmonic, ... etc. I'm sure the bigger brands will follow later as well.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands