Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence Devialet hasn't completely given up on the Expert Pro line
The Devialet accepts digital audio up to 24/192. I'm really not sure if 24/384 or higher would be an improvement that you can hear. I don't think so.
Also a higher resolution would only be usable if you upsample as 192 is the highest resolution you can buy or stream.
Is the lack of higher resolution formats really an issue ? Not for me...
If you really want to hear what the Devialet is capable of get a good external streamer (the Holo Red is a good one) and use HQPlayer for upsampling.
If you use the internal streamer you only get 70-80% of the possible SQ. And with a good external one I think the Devialet is still very hard to beat...
Yes, you are quite correct. ROON via an external streamer is an audible step up from the ROON endpoint built into Devialet.
I have no idea why

However, I used a computer as a music source for 6 years. Then a well-regarded audio equipment manufacturer who posted many useful tips on a local AV Forum suggested a stand-alone bridge instead of a computer. An external hard drive could be connected for a music source and the digital (SPDIF) output of the bridge connected to the Devialet

The audible improvement was a revelation. Gone were any artifacts generated by a computer, which basically uses 5% of its capability to play back music

The first device was a Lindemann Limetree Bridge, version 1.0. This would resolve FLAC to 24/192 and DSD in DoP format

After a while, I tried a Lumin D1 and this afforded a small improvement

For the last 7 months I have been using a Mercury 2Pi streamer. This is run by a modified version of Gentooplayer. The results are outstanding. The additional clarity and detail, without the sound becoming sterile are really good. The Mercury uses a AES connector

There is a learning curve to installing and setting up Gentooplayer, but the developer, Antonello Coroli who hails from Austria has detailed instructions here and in the Audiostyle Forum under Software

Link: https://gentooplayers.com/
And: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic.../#comments
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ML Electromotion, REL sub.  2 x Dachshunds
Agree, I use the Holo Red with HQPlayer and optical ethernet. You can hear every single improvement to the digital chain…far better than the CI board
(18-Feb-2024, 07:39)chrisc Wrote: ...

A difficult track to reproduce is Nite Mist Blues, by Monty Alexander.  There are some piano solos that the Devialet tends to add what you might say is a small degree of distortion.  The Cayin amp reproduces this without strain.

I can easily imagine that the Cayin might be producing a more pleasant sound but that doesn't necessarily mean the Devialet is adding distortion or that it's under strain; I'd guess it's more likely that the Cayin is adding "nice" distortion which masks some harshness in the original recording.

(Nice album, by the way - thanks!)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Feb-2024, 11:47)Vivialet Wrote: Agree, I use the Holo Red with HQPlayer and optical ethernet. You can hear every single improvement to the digital chain…far better than the CI board
Could you describe what kind of improvement you hear? I have tested few different digital inputs to Devialet (also HoloAudio Red) and do prefer direct ethernet input to Devialet. I'm running ROON Core in a headless Linux computer.
Considerably more clarity. Stringed instruments like solo violin (Rachel Podger) are sweeter, no edginess. The whole presentation sounds relaxed

The Cayin is a valve amplifier and valves themselves have their unique sound. Many people prefer that sound

We compared the track I mentioned at a Hi-Fi Club meeting after someone pointed out some harshness in the piano piece of that recording. I came home and listened again, and it was there
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ML Electromotion, REL sub.  2 x Dachshunds
I recently switched back to using ETH AIR after being forced to use USB when my Mac mini had to be replaced with an M1 version. Much much better.
I use Audirvana Studio instead of Roon to manage the streaming and it outputs to AIR (or upnp if I you have the PRO). One advantage is that I can keep the subs turned up the way I like them for playing LPs and turn the lower frequencies down automatically of ETH by altering the settings in Audirvana Studio.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 NPX300 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire Acrylic Reference rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to AT VML540ML fine line stylus and Vertere Phono-1

When using Ethernet or streaming in general I can highly recommend Networking Acoustics ENO/Muon Pro filter. Makes for a huge improvement.
(21-Feb-2024, 23:39)markush Wrote: When using Ethernet or streaming in general I can highly recommend Networking Acoustics ENO/Muon Pro filter. Makes for a huge improvement.

Wow !! Thats a whopping GBP 1,330 (Ex VAT)  Tongue
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
It may seem a lot but it’s absolutely worth it - and there is a 30-day money back guarantee.
Has a higher impact on a network / streaming setup than many other components.
I also compared this to a FMC solution with Sonore Optical Module Deluxe V2 with a Farad Super3 (incl. SR Purple Fuse and Furutech upgrade) which didn’t provide that level of improvement.