Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences of a new Expert Pro owner
Are the speakers New also? If so both need an burn in of at least 50hrs for a start. Speakers can sound bad or with no bass or to much in the beginning.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
(27-Jan-2021, 16:03)paul.oorbeek Wrote: Are the speakers New also? If so both need an burn in of at least 50hrs for a start. Speakers can sound bad or with no bass or to much in the beginning.

No, I've had the speakers for 10 years now.  Very well burned in!  Big Grin
You can try to do an factory reset and play with this setting without SAM to see if that is better?

If you don't adjust the bass or treble levels these settings should not do any difference at all. If you look at the display on the dev. what are the bass and treble?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
Which amp did you use earlier? A D140 will probably sound quite different from what you are used to. How do you feed the 140? Digital or analogue? Are you sure it is a lossless feed and not mp3 or AAC?
Frequency settings on tone controls are definitely there with SAM enabled. Tone controls are disabled when set to 0.0. SAM should absolutely be audible with your speakers - unless your speakers/room/placement produces a big suck-out in the bass region.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(27-Jan-2021, 15:06)Daz Wrote: Yes, exactly.  With those settings (if they are the default) my amp with the ProAc speakers (with SAM on or off) sounded pretty bad.  I have changed the settings to the image below (with the perhaps misguided idea that it more closely matches the range of the speakers) and the sound is much improved.  My question is, presumably these settings must be related to the speakers being used in some way, so how do we decide on the optimum settings?  It can't be just trial and error surely.

I would not use the settings you posted.  The frequency you set is the frequency at which the tone control will start to work, so there is zero change at the set frequency, and then the bass (or treble) will then very gradually increase or decrease in gain away from the set point.  So if you have the bass set to 30Hz (as shown) the tone control will gradually change the bass only below 30Hz.

So a small change at 20Hz, and a little more at 10Hz, all of which will be more or less inaudible.  In the same way, you have set the treble to 20kHz, so the change in tone will only be made above 20kHz, which is genuinely inaudible. (for most of us)

To start, I would recommend that you use Devialet's default settings, which is 100Hz for the bass, and 2kHz for the treble. And as mentioned above, check the bass and treble settings are 0.0 (in the display, not the configurator), and take things from there.

The Devialet default settings are pretty much in line with how the tone controls would work on a conventional amplifier, and if set to 0.0, they will not do do anything anyway.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! Worrying why support couldn't explain it like this.

I'll put it back to the default settings (100hz and 2khz with 0.0 tone controls) and report back.
Ok, this is very strange (and a little embarrassing). I've tried setting to the default 100hz and 2khz levels and the sound is fine. Definitely not what I was hearing on day one. The only explanation I can think of is that the unit I have is an ex-display one so perhaps the settings and tone controls had been 'played with' in the shop with the result that out of the box it did not sound right.

Still can't hear much of an effect with SAM but I'll continue to play with that.

Once again, thanks for all the help. It all makes a lot more sense now and I can go back to enjoying the music!
2,000 Hz is far too low for treble. I don't know why Devialet defaulted to this value. I also made a support ticket on this issue...

Amplifiers use values ​​between 8,000 and 15,000 Hz, and some even 20,000 Hz.
I would first try to listen with everything related to DSP disabled from the configurator (bass, treble, balance, SAM, etc.).
Only after that, if needed, I would start using DSPs.
(27-Jan-2021, 18:12)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: 2,000 Hz is far too low for treble. I don't know why Devialet defaulted to this value. I also made a support ticket on this issue...

Amplifiers use values between 8,000 and 15,000 Hz, and some even 20,000 Hz.

I think 2kHz is quite normal. Some Luxmans have values between 1.5 and 4kHz for example. I have never heard of a value of 20kHz, well above what most of us can hear anyway.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini