Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro Turns On Unexpectedly
Hello:

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed that my Expert Pro 220 goes from "standby" to "on" by itself, usually late at night. When I notice it, I power the unit completely off for a few minutes and then turn it back on. This usually solves the problem for a month or so. I wonder if there is a problem in the standby/on switch or maybe there is someone using a comparable remote nearby.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Thanks.
(13-Mar-2023, 21:52)jfddoc Wrote: Hello:

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed that my Expert Pro 220 goes from "standby" to "on" by itself, usually late at night.  When I notice it, I power the unit completely off for a few minutes and then turn it back on.  This usually solves the problem for a month or so.  I wonder if there is a problem in the standby/on switch or maybe there is someone using a comparable remote nearby. 

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Thanks.

Do you use the control app on your 'phone? If so, you might flick its icon inadvertently.
(13-Mar-2023, 22:46)fraserhadden Wrote:
(13-Mar-2023, 21:52)jfddoc Wrote: Hello:

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed that my Expert Pro 220 goes from "standby" to "on" by itself, usually late at night.  When I notice it, I power the unit completely off for a few minutes and then turn it back on.  This usually solves the problem for a month or so.  I wonder if there is a problem in the standby/on switch or maybe there is someone using a comparable remote nearby. 

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Thanks.

Do you use the control app on your 'phone? If so, you might flick its icon inadvertently.

No. I mostly use the iPad app.
The Pros can be turned on remotely by Roon over Ethernet. I assume there are other programs that can do the same. Do you use any of these?

If not, does your switch have powered ports and if so, are you using one of them for your Pro?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Roon can turn a  Devialet Pro on via an ethernet connection but I would make 3 comments about that:

1- the only time I'm aware that Roon turns my Devialet on is if I ask Roon to stream some music to my Devialet and the Devialet is turned off when I ask Roon to stream the music. I don't know if Roon can turn the Devialet on at other times and I may be wrong about this but I don't think it can.

2- Roon's ability to turn the Devialet on comes from the fact that the Roon connection is a network connection which means that there is 2 way communication between Roon and the Devialet. Ethernet is not the only network connection available to the Devialet, there is also wifi. I think Roon can turn on the Devialet when it tries to stream music to the Devialet whatever the network connection is. It can do it whether the connection is via AIR or via RAAT and I think it can do it whether the Devialet is connected to the network via ethernet or via wifi.

3- the Expert Pro also accepts network connections via Airplay, UPNP, and Spotify streams. I don't know whether it's possible for a Devialet to be turned on as a result of activity on one of those connections. Roon can connect to the Expert Pro by Airplay so it may also be able tu turn the Expert Pro on via Airplay as well.

You did not say if you uss Roon. If you do then one thing you should try doing is going into Roon's audio settings menu and turning off all audio output options you don't use. The Devialet options in the Audio Settings menu appear under different headings such as Roon Ready, Roon Tested, and so on. Scroll down through them and turn off any options which aren't being used

The Expert Pro has a Trigger In connection which allows another device to turn it on. If the Exoert Pro is connected to another device via a trigger cable, that device may be turning the Expert Pro on.

Finally the problem may be triggered by a brief power outage to the home. If the Expert Pro is turned off but the power connection from the wall is turned on, then turning the power off at the wall and then back on will trigger the Expert Pro to turn on. If the wall power is lost due to a power outage and then restored, the Expert Pro will turn on. Check whether the problem is being caused by occasional brief power outages.

You raised the possibility of someone using a comparable remote nearby. I've never had that problem with my Expert Pro but I have had it with my air conditioner's control panel which uses a wifi connection to my network and it drove me crazy for some weeks until a service technician thought of that possibility and changed the wifi channel that my control panel used. The standard Devialet remote needs to be paired with the Expert Pro so I would think that someone else nearby using another Devialet would probably not be turning your Expert Pro on accidentally when turning his amp on. I don't know what range the remote can operate over but I think there's a pretty good reason to reject this possibility. If your amp is only turning on unexpectedly occasionally and it always occurs late at night, then if someone else's remote is triggering the turn on that person must only be listening to music late at night and only very occasionally. That does not sound like usual music listening behaviour. I would expect the amp to turn on more often and also at other times as well if soneone else's remote is triggering the turn on.

I hope there's something in the above comments to help.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(14-Mar-2023, 10:35)David A Wrote: Roon can turn a  Devialet Pro on via an ethernet connection but I would make 3 comments about that:

1- the only time I'm aware that Roon turns my Devialet on is if I ask Roon to stream some music to my Devialet and the Devialet is turned off when I ask Roon to stream the music. I don't know if Roon can turn the Devialet on at other times and I may be wrong about this but I don't think it can.

2- Roon's ability to turn the Devialet on comes from the fact that the Roon connection is a network connection which means that there is 2 way communication between Roon and the Devialet. Ethernet is not the only network connection available to the Devialet, there is also wifi. I think Roon can turn on the Devialet when it tries to stream music to the Devialet whatever the network connection is. It can do it whether the connection is via AIR or via RAAT and I think it can do it whether the Devialet is connected to the network via ethernet or via wifi.

3- the Expert Pro also accepts network connections via Airplay, UPNP, and Spotify streams. I don't know whether it's possible for a Devialet to be turned on as a result of activity on one of those connections. Roon can connect to the Expert Pro by Airplay so it may also be able tu turn the Expert Pro on via Airplay as well.

You did not say if you uss Roon. If you do then one thing you should try doing is going into Roon's audio settings menu and turning off all audio output options you don't use. The Devialet options in the Audio Settings menu appear under different headings such as Roon Ready, Roon Tested, and so on. Scroll down through them and turn off any options which aren't being used

The Expert Pro has a Trigger In connection which allows another device to turn it on. If the Exoert Pro is connected to another device via a trigger cable, that device may be turning the Expert Pro on.

Finally the problem may be triggered by a brief power outage to the home. If the Expert Pro is turned off but the power connection from the wall is turned on, then turning the power off at the wall and then back on will trigger the Expert Pro to turn on. If the wall power is lost due to a power outage and then restored, the Expert Pro will turn on. Check whether the problem is being caused by occasional brief power outages.

You raised the possibility of someone using a comparable remote nearby. I've never had that problem with my Expert Pro but I have had it with my air conditioner's control panel which uses a wifi connection to my network and it drove me crazy for some weeks until a service technician thought of that possibility and changed the wifi channel that my control panel used. The standard Devialet remote needs to be paired with the Expert Pro so I would think that someone else nearby using another Devialet would probably not be turning your Expert Pro on accidentally when turning his amp on. I don't know what range the remote can operate over but I think there's a pretty good reason to reject this possibility. If your amp is only turning on unexpectedly occasionally and it always occurs late at night, then if someone else's remote is triggering the turn on that person must only be listening to music late at night and only very occasionally. That does not sound like usual music listening behaviour. I would expect the amp to turn on more often and also at other times as well if soneone else's remote is triggering the turn on.

I hope there's something in the above comments to help.
Had the same issue with my 220. It would turn itself on multiple times a day. I do not use roon. Listen to music on Tidal streamed from my MacBook. 220 is set for ethernet on configurator and i realized that WIFI was also activated in the advanced and basic configurator. Problem solved when I turn WiFi settings off. Now only input source is ethernet
Hope this helps.
220 Pro CI,  B&W 805 D3,  SVS ultra sub with upgrade.  Streaming with Sirius XM and Tidal
For me it only happens when there is a power outage. My 200 Pro turns on even if it's completely turned off, then it goes to power saving after certain time with no input (dimmed display).
• Kuzma Stabi S turntable • Kuzma Stogi S arm • Benz Micro ACE H cartridge • PC with MusicBee / WASAPI source • Oyaide d+ NEO B-Class USB cable • Devialet 200 amplifier • Blue Jeans Ten speaker cable • GoldenEar Triton One •

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

I do not use Roon. I will turn off my WiFi and see if this solves the problem. Will the Expert Pro Remote, which I believe uses RF, be affected by this? I'm pretty sure my iPad app with not work with the WiFi off.

Aurender N10--Devialet 220 Expert Pro--Harbeth SHL5 Plus powered through PS Audio P12.
The Expert Pro remote works woith wifi turned off.

Your iPad app connects to your Expert Pro over your home network. The iPad connects to that network via wifi. It does not matter whether your Expert Pro is connected to your network via ethernet or wifi, as long as your Expert Pro is connected to your network it can connect to any other device on your network and any other device on your network can connect to your Expert Pro. It does not matter what sort of connection to the network is used by each device, as long as both devices are connected they can communicate with each other. I use Roon which runs on a Roon Nucleus server which is connected to my network via ethernet and I control Roon with the Roon Remote app on my iPad which connects to my network via wifi. What you need is for each device to have a network connection but it does not matter whether that connection is ethernet or wifi and it does not matter if both devices connect in the same way or in different ways, the only thing that matters is that they are both connected to the network in some way.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia