Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro Turns On Unexpectedly
Thank you Axel. Then at least the front button works as supposed to. Never really used it, but now it seems that I have to if I want to turn the amp off (and stay off) instead of standby.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Bryston BCD-3 , Roon, Technics SL 1500C, PMC Twenty5.24. Isotek, Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
(22-Mar-2023, 11:55)haber Wrote: Thank you Axel.  Then at least the front button works as supposed to. Never really used it, but now it seems that I have to if I want to turn the amp off  (and stay off) instead of standby.

It seems strange that the D appears to have two off modes. If you use the front button to turn the amp off, your problem is solved. If you use the remote button, the amp turns off but can be woken by another ancillary.  Hope you get to the bottom of it @haber and @Ron

Edit: I remember before we bought our latest TV and used an Apple TV box, the amp would randomly spring into life.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Ive recently been bitten by this problem, my amp now turns on randomly, it also shuts down randomly.
in the morning it looks like its off, theres no display, but when I turn it on im actually turning it off.
ive also lost the ability to put it to standby, on / off only. short press is equivalent to a long press now.
I have observed a few spontaneous powering up too, and as others I also have an Apple TV.

However I have observed something interesting that I would love to see confirmed by others or not: I’m using my D220 with only two sources: Roon RAAT and Apple AirPlay.

Every time I have found my D220 powered on spontaneously, it as on AirPlay and I had not switched back to Roon RAAT before powering it down.

When I power it down while on RAAT, it does not seem to switch on spontaneously.

If my observations are true, that would point to a network interaction problem instead of a Zigbee issue.

Thanks,
Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
@Jean-Marie

Interesting.

My only source is Roon RAAT. I don't use AirPlay and while I do have an Apple TV it is in another room and connected to a different system. As I reported in post #17 above, I tried using my Apple TV remote in the room where my 140 Pro is andI could not make the 140 Pro turn on but, of course, my 140 Pro was switched to Roon RAAT before I had turned it off.

After reading your post I repeated my experiment again. First I tried again with the 140 Pro turned off while switched to Roon RAAT. Same result as last time. Then I turned the 140 Pro on, switched to AirPlay, turned it off and once again tried pressing all buttons on my Apple TV remote. Once again the amp did not turn on.

Then I realised that I always turn my amp off with a long press on its remote power button. I turned the amp on again and turned it off with a short press of the remote button while switched to Roon RAAT. It did not turn on or respond to any button of my Apple TV remote. I turned the amp on again, switched to Airplay, and turned it off with a short press. I repeated the test trying every button on my Apple TV remote. Once again my amp did not turn on.

So, whether my amp is switched to Roon RAAT or AirPlay and whether it is turned off with a short or a long press on my Devialet Remote, my amp fails to turn on when I use my Apple TV remote, no matter what button I press on the Apple TV remote.

I can not duplicate your experience.

I wondered previously if there was some pairing issue involved but checking the original post and your post I will now raise another possibility. I have a 140 Pro. You and the original poster have 220 Pros. Is this problem specific to the 220?

If there are others reading this who have an Apple TV can they try repeating my experiment and report their results together with which model Expert Pro they have. Their reports may confirm whether this problem occurs with all model Expert Pros or only one or two models.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(29-Mar-2023, 21:06)David A Wrote: @Jean-Marie

Interesting.

My only source is Roon RAAT. I don't use AirPlay and while I do have an Apple TV it is in another room and connected to a different system. As I reported in post #17 above, I tried using my Apple TV remote in the room where my 140 Pro is andI could not make the 140 Pro turn on but, of course, my 140 Pro was switched to Roon RAAT before I had turned it off.

After reading your post I repeated my experiment again. First I tried again with the 140 Pro turned off while switched to Roon RAAT. Same result as last time. Then I turned the 140 Pro on, switched to AirPlay, turned it off and once again tried pressing all buttons on my Apple TV remote. Once again the amp did not turn on.

Then I realised that I always turn my amp off with a long press on its remote power button. I turned the amp on again and turned it off with a short press of the remote button while switched to Roon RAAT. It did not turn on or respond to any button of my Apple TV remote. I turned the amp on again, switched to Airplay, and turned it off with a short press. I repeated the test trying every button on my Apple TV remote. Once again my amp did not turn on.

So, whether my amp is switched to Roon RAAT or AirPlay and whether it is turned off with a short or a long press on my Devialet Remote, my amp fails to turn on when I use my Apple TV remote, no matter what button I press on the Apple TV remote.

I can not duplicate your experience.

I wondered previously if there was some pairing issue involved but checking the original post and your post I will now raise another possibility. I have a 140 Pro. You and the original poster have 220 Pros. Is this problem specific to the 220?

If there are others reading this who have an Apple TV can they try repeating my experiment and report their results together with which model Expert Pro they have. Their reports may confirm whether this problem occurs with all model Expert Pros or only one or two models.

@David A, I think I didn't explain myself correctly.

I don't think the waking up has to do with the remotes but more with the Apple TV sending network probes to Airplay speakers and I could not correlate it to any particular activity on the Apple TV, more like something that it is doing when it is off itself.

That makes it harder to replicate because like you have I have not been able to trigger the behavior and there seem to be some randomness in it.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I have been in contact with Devialet regarding this. They confirm that there is a problem with Apple TV and Expert. Here is the answer I got:

"We do have 2 levels of standby:
one with the display kept on showing the amp's model continuously (here it shoud display 220Pro), let's call it standby-on
andone with the display turned off completely, let's call it standby-off.

The transitions from power up to standby modes described by this customer are correct:
long press on the front button => standby-on
short press on the remote => standby-on
app shutdown => standby-on
long press on the remote => standby-off

For a reason only Apple knows, they have decided (against asking us) to prevent the amplifiers from staying in this standby-off state. The apple TV will wake our products even if allegedly powered off. These Apple products never really eneter true standby state.

I'd advise not using the long press on the remote or to disconnect the amp from the network.

One interesting test would be:
to leave the Apple TV connected
to remove the sdcard on the amplifier and the Ethernet cable
to perform a reset2factory from page7 of the information menus
to ensure no IP adress collected on the amplifier after that
=> this unsollicitated behaviour should cease"

I haven't bothered to try the test suggested at the end of Devialet's answer
Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Bryston BCD-3 , Roon, Technics SL 1500C, PMC Twenty5.24. Isotek, Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
Well haber, i'm glad you contacted Devialet customer care. Even more glad Devialet admitted there is an issue!

Customer care kept me busy for about 2 months(september, oktober 2022). About 25 emails. I've done about 15 different test for them. I've been told then, they were gonna perform some test themselves. Never heard since...
Funny they suggest the network connection is of any importance. With my amp disconnected, ethernet plug pulled (WiFi disabled in the config), it still switched on by itself.

Only the later(possibly only the last) models Apple TV send out Zigbee messages when plugged into mains. Apple calls it thread support. Looking for other devices. Just like your iPhone is always looking for someone else's Air-Tags.

So if you do have this problem, open a ticket at customer care! Maybe they fix it in the next firmware version ;-)
Devialet 440pro Core Infinity - Auralic Vega G2 - B&W 803 D4
(29-Mar-2023, 21:26)Jean-Marie Wrote: @David A, I think I didn't explain myself correctly.

I don't think the waking up has to do with the remotes but more with the Apple TV sending network probes to Airplay speakers and I could not correlate it to any particular activity on the Apple TV, more like something that it is doing when it is off itself.

That makes it harder to replicate because like you have I have not been able to trigger the behavior and there seem to be some randomness in it.

Jean-Marie

@Jean-Marie,  I hadn't thought about the problem being the Apple TV sending network probes to AirPlay speakers rather than the actual signals from the remote. I also note your comment that  you have had difficulty replicating the behaviour and that there seems to be some randomness to it.

I've had my Devialet for 6 years now, I've had several models of Apple RV during that time, and I have never noticed my amp turning on unexpectedly. Given your comments and my personal experience I'm going to stop trying to replicate the problem again unless one day I walk into the room where my audio system is and find the amp turned on when I know I turned it off.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia