Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fed up with my speakers
Tongue 
(21-Jul-2020, 13:56)bernardl Wrote: I would also look at:
- Fyne F30x
- Second hand B&W older speakers such as 805 from a few generations, they still sound amazing
- Elac

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks for the suggestion @bernardl!

I let all the nice suggestions settle a while before coming to a preliminary conclusion.

Mentally, I am now set for the Buchardt S400. It received very good reviews, I like its design and its size is just about right for our living room, even smaller than my present ATC SCM19s.

I give it some further thoughts, but I am pretty sure I won't change my mind.

Unless Audio Science Review comes up saying what devastatingly bad speakers they are  Tongue!

Thanks for all the good suggestions.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
If looks are anything to go by the s400’s do look promising, I hope the review is positive for you but of course it’s what they sound like at home, perhaps some arrangement can be made with your dealer.
Best of luck,
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(27-Jul-2020, 19:50)wwm Wrote: If looks are anything to go by the s400’s do look promising, I hope the review is positive for you but of course it’s what they sound like at home, perhaps some arrangement can be made with your dealer.
Best of luck,
Bill.

Buchardt is an on-line dealer only. But they have a 30 days return policy, so no risk if the speakers wouldn‘t sound good in my living room, I‘d return them.

It‘s hard to find a bad review for the s400‘s. But as you say, they need to perform well in ones own environment.
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/spendor...1806922437
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(10-Aug-2020, 18:11)BoyScout Wrote: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/spendor...1806922437

Thanks! I'm keeping an eye on Spendor. The Classic series, though, is a bit pricey. Also, something I realised when I had a speaker for home auditioning from a friend, that ported speakers tend to be rather boomy in my difficult listening room. So I am tending more towards sealed designs. Which is not easy to find!
(12-Aug-2020, 09:52)Sailor4W Wrote:
(10-Aug-2020, 18:11)BoyScout Wrote: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/spendor...1806922437

Thanks! I'm keeping an eye on Spendor. The Classic series, though, is a bit pricey. Also, something I realised when I had a speaker for home auditioning from a friend, that ported speakers tend to be rather boomy in my difficult listening room. So I am tending more towards sealed designs. Which is not easy to find!

That was a factor in my going with the Graham Audio LS6f model. The port is at the bottom rather than the back. Coupled with the floorstanding nature of the design, the LS6f was the best-sounding Graham Audio (and other brands) product I auditioned that day. Accurate and not sounding as though it was working hard to achieve the sound. (Transparency here: my room is too small for the LS5/8 and LS5/9 models.)
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
(12-Aug-2020, 19:16)musialsuspect Wrote:
(12-Aug-2020, 09:52)Sailor4W Wrote:

That was a factor in my going with the Graham Audio LS6f model. The port is at the bottom rather than the back. Coupled with the floorstanding nature of the design, the LS6f was the best-sounding Graham Audio (and other brands) product I auditioned that day. Accurate and not sounding as though it was working hard to achieve the sound. (Transparency here: my room is too small for the LS5/8 and LS5/9 models.)
Just had a look at the LS6f. They do look nice and aren't that big. They remind me of the Spendor A2/A4 series, although the LS6fs are indeed larger, but still tolerable in size. I need to look into them more closely. So far, I tried to avoid floor standers, as I am so much used to stand mount speakers. But taking the dimensions of my speakers together with the stands, They are much taller together than the Spendors A2/A4s or the LS6fs.
I will try to find some reviews.