Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware
(23-Jun-2020, 16:45)CongoFather Wrote: How do you reproduce the problem? In contrast to most of the users, I did not have such a problem in my system. The only difference between my system and most of others' is that I use two different switches between the audio-related components(Mac Mini, Devialet) and other network devices(such as NAS, TV, Internet Router). These two switches are connected to each other by using a fiber-optic connection. The Ethernet outputs on these switches are all Gigabit-Ethernet enabled. I can play large DSD256, DSD64 audio files over the network by using Roon(it converts the DSD256 stream to DSD64)

I'm envious!   I'm running 1gig ethernet from RoonServer (Win10 i7 desktop) to my Arris router and then 1gig to my 440Pro.  Any attempt to play 192/24 music via RAAT always generates dropouts, skips to the next song and the "Audio file loading slowly..." error.   The same happens frequently with 96/24 music and even occasionally with 44/16.   But with a 10/100 mbps switch with 1gig in and 100mbps out, it works fine.    Many have this issue.   Some don't.   Go figure... I've never seen it properly diagnosed by Roon nor Devialet... yet.   Maybe that'll change.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I absolutely had the same thing: I have a SonicTransporter i5 that used to be connected to a 1 Gb/s switch and my Devialet Expert 120 connected via Ethernet to the same switch (Running Roon‘s own AIR). I used to have crackles when playing 192/24 files, all other files worked well up to 96/24. Reading about the Gb switch problems I exchanged my Gb switch with my old AirPort Extreme. I‘m running the AirPort Extreme in the 2.4 GHz band that drops the speed to maximally 400 Mb/s. And voilà, since then everything works like a charm!

Roon definitely is fantastic!!!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I think I'm lucky about it. I played several albums which are mostly DSD128 files. There is no dropout. It may be due to switch configuration (EdgeSwitch10x-->SOTM Sotm SNH-10g-->Devialet) or operating system(Macos driver)

[Image: 20200623-214233.jpg]
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
(23-Jun-2020, 16:45)CongoFather Wrote: How do you reproduce the problem? In contrast to most of the users, I did not have such a problem in my system. The only difference between my system and most of others' is that I use two different switches between the audio-related components(Mac Mini, Devialet) and other network devices(such as NAS, TV, Internet Router). These two switches are connected to each other by using a fiber-optic connection. The Ethernet outputs on these switches are all Gigabit-Ethernet enabled. I can play large DSD256, DSD64 audio files over the network by using Roon(it converts the DSD256 stream to DSD64)

(23-Jun-2020, 20:00)CongoFather Wrote: I think I'm lucky about it. I played several albums which are mostly DSD128 files. There is no dropout. It may be due to switch configuration (EdgeSwitch10x-->SOTM Sotm SNH-10g-->Devialet) or operating system(Macos driver)

You said "In contrast to most other users…". I suspect your experience may actually be similar to most users because I think the majority of users have not had the problem. If you think about it, those reporting the problem meet 3 criteria. They use the ethernet input on their Devialets rather than wifi, they use a gigabit speed ethernet connection. and they use RAAT instead of AIR. Lots of users rely on the wifi input (I know you don't), and there was a poll here when the update came out asking whether people preferred RAAT or AIR. 39 out of 113 people preferred RAAT, the rest either preferred AIR (fewer than those who preferred RAAT), couldn't pick a difference, or couldn't be bothered A/B testing. If we assume that half of the Expert Pro Roon users are using the wifi input and the users who prefer RAAT are evenly distributed between wifi and ethernet users, then 40% of the 50% of ethernet users could have a gigabit connection and the problem. That's only 20% of total users with the problem but we also know that not all of them—for example you for one—don't report the problem.

My experience is similar to yours. Most of what I stream is 96/24 or lower in resolution. The rest, less than 5% of what I stream, is either DSD 64 or the 1 album I have at 176.4/24 resolution. I didn't notice the problem at all until the day I decided to see if I could find out what the comments were about and set Roon to upscale everything to 192/24. Then I got the problem. I don't think your "immunity" is due to your switch configuration or OS, I think it's because you aren't streaming 192/24 files. The reason you didn't get any dropout with DSD128 is because, if you look at your signal path photo, you'll see that Roon rescaled your files to DSD64 before sending them to your 220 and I think DSD64 is roughly equivalent to 88.4/24 or 96/24 based on what I've read.

I think you, and I because my experience has been very similar to yours, are really in the majority. If you look at the thread about the problem here, there's quite a lot of posts but many of us who posted there posted many. many times. There's probably less than 100 people posting in that thread and not all of them reported the problem. Note that Devialet and Roon both say they didn't see the problem during the certification process. I certainly think there may be some network factors that exacerbate the problem for some people but overall I think that given the number of people using wifi and the number of ethernet users using AIR, plus the probably low number of people streaming files of higher than 96/24 resolution, only a very small proportion of Expert Pro users, maybe 10% or lower, have actually had the problem.

I'm not trying to minimise the seriousness of the problem for those who have it, I've managed to reproduce it in my system as I said and it really is an extremely bad problem. What I am saying is that I think only a small proportion of Expert Pro users have actually had the problem because I think most users are either wifi users or ethernet/AIR users and because I suspect the majority of the gigabit ethernet/RAAT users aren't streaming content of higher than 96/24 resolution.

So, when you said in your second post "I think I'm lucky about it", you may have identified the problem but possibly the situation in the wrong way. Another way of looking at things, one I suspect Devialet probably subscribe to, is that those who are experiencing the problem are unlucky because they're the few who made 3 specific choices, gigabit ethernet over lower speed ethernet or wifi, RAAT over AIR, and chose to stream content at the highest resolution the Devialet can accept when most content available to people is significantly lower in resolution. I suspect Devialet may see this as a problem afflicting a small minority who really want to push the limits of what their amps can do and while only a minority are affected they aren't particularly motivated to do something about it as promptly as they should be because, according to Devialet's own specifications and public announcements, RAAT over gigabit ethernet should work and this problem should not exist.

There's a bug in the system and they need to fix it.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(23-Jun-2020, 22:20)David A Wrote:

(23-Jun-2020, 20:00)CongoFather Wrote: I think I'm lucky about it. I played several albums which are mostly DSD128 files. There is no dropout. It may be due to switch configuration (EdgeSwitch10x-->SOTM Sotm SNH-10g-->Devialet) or operating system(Macos driver)

You said "In contrast to most other users…". I suspect your experience may actually be similar to most users because I think the majority of users have not had the problem. If you think about it, those reporting the problem meet 3 criteria. They use the ethernet input on their Devialets rather than wifi, they use a gigabit speed ethernet connection. and they use RAAT instead of AIR. Lots of users rely on the wifi input (I know  you don't), and there was a poll here when the update came out asking whether people preferred RAAT or AIR. 39 out of 113 people preferred RAAT, the rest either preferred AIR (fewer than those who preferred RAAT), couldn't pick a difference, or couldn't be bothered A/B testing.  If we assume that half of the Expert Pro Roon users are using the wifi input and the users who prefer RAAT are evenly distributed between wifi and ethernet users, then 40% of the 50% of ethernet users could have a gigabit connection and the problem. That's only 20% of total users with the problem but we also know that not all of them—for example you for one—don't report the problem.

My experience is similar to yours. Most of what I stream is 96/24 or lower in resolution. The rest, less than 5% of what I stream, is either DSD 64 or the 1 album I have at 176.4/24 resolution. I didn't notice the problem at all until the day I decided to see  if I could find out what the comments were about and set Roon to upscale everything to 192/24. Then I got the problem. I don't think your "immunity" is due to your switch configuration or OS, I think it's because you aren't streaming 192/24 files. The reason you didn't get any dropout with DSD128 is because, if you look at your signal path photo, you'll see that Roon rescaled your files to DSD64 before sending them to your 220 and I think  DSD64 is roughly equivalent to 88.4/24 or 96/24 based on what I've read.

I think you, and I because my experience has been very similar to yours, are really in the majority. If you look at the thread about the problem here, there's quite a lot of posts but many of us who posted there posted many. many times. There's probably less than 100 people posting in that thread and not all of them reported the problem. Note that Devialet and Roon both say they didn't see the problem during the certification process. I certainly think there may be some network factors that exacerbate the problem for some people but overall I think that given the number of people using wifi and the number of ethernet users using AIR, plus the probably low number of people streaming files of higher than 96/24 resolution, only a very small proportion of Expert Pro users, maybe 10% or lower, have actually had the problem.

I'm not trying to minimise the seriousness of the problem for those who have it, I've managed to reproduce it in my system as I said and it really is an extremely bad problem. What I am saying is that I think only a small proportion of Expert Pro users have actually had the problem because I think most users are either wifi users or ethernet/AIR users and because I suspect the majority of the gigabit ethernet/RAAT users aren't streaming content of higher than 96/24 resolution.

So, when  you said in your second post "I think I'm lucky about it",  you may have identified the problem but possibly the situation in the wrong way.  Another way of looking at things, one I suspect Devialet probably subscribe to, is that those who are experiencing the problem are unlucky because they're the few who made 3 specific choices, gigabit ethernet over lower speed ethernet or wifi, RAAT over AIR, and chose to stream content at the highest resolution the Devialet can accept when most content available to people is significantly lower in resolution. I suspect Devialet may see this as a problem afflicting a small minority who really want to push the limits of what their amps can do and while only a minority are affected they aren't particularly motivated to do something about it as promptly as they should be because, according to Devialet's own specifications and public announcements, RAAT over gigabit ethernet should work and this problem should not exist.

There's a bug in the system and they need to fix it.

Hi, 
I mentioned in my post that DSD128 is converted to DSD64 before it is sent to DAC. But this does not change the fact that over 1 GB file is sent over the network till it is buffered in the memory at the streamer. Then it is converted to DSD64 and sent to DAC. 
Anyway, I have successfully streamed native 24bit/192khz audio files without any drop over ethernet(not wifi). I still coud not reproduce the case.
The flow of Data in my network is as follows;

SynologyNAS---(CAT7)--->EDGE Switch10X---(FiberOptic)--->SOTM SNH-10g---(Supra CAT8)--->MacMini(Roon RAAT)---(Supra CAT8)--->SOTM SNH-10g---(Supra CAT8)--->Devialet220 Pro
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
(23-Jun-2020, 07:54)marco.kohler.169 Wrote: Since Devialet is always planning for exciting improvements with our product, we could not fulfill all the requests as fast as we wished.
Planning is not making it happen. Planning is based on inspiration. Planning (In this case) is probably bullshit. I suggest don’t expect or get excited about anything happening soon if ever.

For me, good (selfishly) that I am happy with the Devialet function as it is. I’m sure it is a bugger for those with problems. Only thing you can do is keep on hitting Devialet help with your demands and of course, access Devialet CEO’s twitter, LinkedIn and any other account to make your presence felt. I doubt they’ll care about it, but there’s sod all else you can do.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
How did you manage to rip the SACD? Really would love to rip my SACDs to have ISO->DSD files
(24-Jun-2020, 11:05)markush Wrote: How did you manage to rip the SACD? Really would love to rip my SACDs to have ISO->DSD files

You need a disc player like the Oppo 103 or 105. There are some other players that can do it  also but it has to be specific players because the process depends on being able to run a file on the player that makes the process work. You connect your player to your network, run free software from Sonore on your computer and insert a USB stick with a file on it into a USB port on the player. Your computer can then access the player and rip the DSD layer of the SACD. That's a brief description of the process.

Here's a link to the instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld...r+105.docx

The process has been around for several years now and works really well but you need to have a player that can run the file necessary to enable communication with the software on your computer.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia