Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 2.13.1 - What changes?
Overhere also no problems
Thank you both @Johnnydev and @eladeb for your reassurance. I closed my eyes, crossed my fingers and tried to update the speakers. Unfortunately it was impossible to hit the right button with my eyes closed and fingers crossed, so I had to wait open my eyes and untangle my fingers to hit the update button. Despite no superstitious doings the update seemingly was without hiccups. Hopefully the speakers don't act up, I haven't used them yet.

As @Taucher669 reported an increased temperature after the update I measured the temperature of the heatsinks before updating, it was between 47 and 49 degrees Celsius not playing music. Quite hot I would say, hopefully the temperature doesn't rise a lot after the update. I'll report back.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Updated my 5yr old (Bluetooth no airplay) Silver's ,no problems.
(03-Jun-2021, 19:14)Taucher669 Wrote: Hello,
I just have updated my 4 Phantom Golds to the FW 2.13.1 which was successful.
Now I got a problem that the usual way to enter standby mode does not seem to work anymore and the 4 Phantoms are heating like crazy - they become even hotter than usual. Could you please advise HOW to enter now standby mode? I have tried short press - long press on the rear button but the only thing that happened was that I lost configuration on one pair - seems I have resetted it by pressing long the button.

Kind regards,
Peter

I have to come back to my own post here with some new findings:
Most important - strong temperature raise has come down to normal levels after some time. Explaination could be that the subjective temperature which can be felt outside at the hetsink might be delayed ... It seems that the head (processor load) during the update process and thereafter (clean-up?) is higher than normal and this will come down after some 30 minutes or so. I have written the post right after the update ... so ... they were still hot

Standby Mode: Back working. Here it seems that right after the update it is not advised to play around with standby mode. I have then tried after around an hour of playing music and when I finished listening and tried again long pressing the button (5 sec or so) did the job and they went to sleep as before. Short press will wake them up - so at the end all good as before.

I just tested feeding the eggs with heavy stuff aka MQA 192kHz via the following signal chain:

Tidal - connected to ROON - WIFI -  Bluesound Node II - optical - Devialet DIALOG - Ethernet - 2 linked Stereo Pairs of Phantom I Gold

This works perfectly with no hickups and perfect synch: ROON sends unfold MQA via RAAT to Node II - Node II is rendering MQA and sending uncompressed and enriched MQA signal at 192kHZ via Optical to DIALOG - DIALOG is distributing it to the 4 Golds
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(06-Jun-2021, 14:09)Taucher669 Wrote: I have to come back to my own post here with some new findings:
Most important - strong temperature raise has come down to normal levels after some time. Explaination could be that the subjective temperature which can be felt outside at the hetsink might be delayed ... It seems that the head (processor load) during the update process and thereafter (clean-up?) is higher than normal and this will come down after some 30 minutes or so. I have written the post right after the update ... so ... they were still hot

Standby Mode: Back working. Here it seems that right after the update it is not advised to play around with standby mode. I have then tried after around an hour of playing music and when I finished listening and tried again long pressing the button (5 sec or so) did the job and they went to sleep as before. Short press will wake them up - so at the end all good as before.

I just tested feeding the eggs with heavy stuff aka MQA 192kHz via the following signal chain:

Tidal - connected to ROON - WIFI -  Bluesound Node II - optical - Devialet DIALOG - Ethernet - 2 linked Stereo Pairs of Phantom I Gold

This works perfectly with no hickups and perfect synch: ROON sends unfold MQA via RAAT to Node II - Node II is rendering MQA and sending uncompressed and enriched MQA signal at 192kHZ via Optical to DIALOG - DIALOG is distributing it to the 4 Golds

Thanks for the informative posts!

A few questions - in this setup, are the Phantoms downsampling the signal to 48 kHz, or is the signal processing in the speakers bypassed?  I’ve been tempted to go this way, as I find MQA intriguing.

Also, have you had issues with AirPlay 2 from Tidal on your iOS devices (I see you have Mac, so I’m speculating)? I don’t know if it’s my Tidal version or iOS 14.7 B2, but I can’t get Tidal on my Devialet’s via AirPlay.  Apple Music works fine.
(06-Jun-2021, 15:55)Charcharius Wrote: Thanks for the informative posts!

A few questions - in this setup, are the Phantoms downsampling the signal to 48 kHz, or is the signal processing in the speakers bypassed?  I’ve been tempted to go this way, as I find MQA intriguing.

Also, have you had issues with AirPlay 2 from Tidal on your iOS devices (I see you have Mac, so I’m speculating)? I don’t know if it’s my Tidal version or iOS 14.7 B2, but I can’t get Tidal on my Devialet’s via AirPlay.  Apple Music works fine.

Sorry but I have no idea ... I just remember a discussion where it was suspected that the Phantoms optical input only supports 96KHz @24bit max. Or was it even only 48kHz??? Here I wanted to state that at least DIALOG supports 192 kHz @24bit. I don't think DIALOG is smart enough for downsampling so I guess the 192kHz signal is nailed straight through to the Phantoms.
Mac, yes, but I do not use airplay. My Mac (iMAC Pro 27") with Tidal/roon is connected by 5GHz WLAN but all the other devices Dialog, Node II, Phantoms are cabled over Gb Ethernet. It is by far the most stable connection for HighRes music streaming and since I can hide the network cables its a no-brainer for me. I never had drop-outs, timing- or connectivity problems.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
I believe everything is downsampled to 24/48 unless you are using the optical direct mode, then it's 24/96. See @streamys measurements.
My Phantom Voyage
(06-Jun-2021, 19:15)ragwo Wrote: I believe everything is downsampled to 24/48 unless you are using the optical direct mode, then it's 24/96. See @streamys measurements.

Ok, but where the signal is downsampled? Within Phantom? Roon showed me in the signal path that the signal leaves Node II with 192/24 towards DIALOG ... 
Yes pity that Devialet is so intransparent here and that no proper technical documentation is available ...
(06-Jun-2021, 21:08)Taucher669 Wrote:
(06-Jun-2021, 19:15)ragwo Wrote: I believe everything is downsampled to 24/48 unless you are using the optical direct mode, then it's 24/96. See @streamys measurements.

Ok, but where the signal is downsampled? Within Phantom? Roon showed me in the signal path that the signal leaves Node II with 192/24 towards DIALOG ... 
Yes pity that Devialet is so intransparent here and that no proper technical documentation is available ...
It's within the Phantom. Devialet has to be transparent about the signal path to be RAAT certified, hence the information about downsampling. When you use the Node 2 as an endpoint there's no way Roon can show you what happens beyond the optical output.

My Phantom Voyage
After this firmware upgrade, it was confirmed that the optical input signal can be received stably at 24bit/192khz.  
I have 3 golds and 2 silvers.
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.