Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firmware 8.0
Hello,

Although I´m quite curious about the V8 FW, for the moment I won´t dare (been following this forum)...
In fact, I only downloaded the 7.1.3 beta FW yesterday and "upgraded" from de SW 7.1.0, which I was very happy with for the last year or so (Sonus Faber Stradivari + SAM, Devialet 250).
I enjoyed the wider Sound Stage and a clearer and more articulated bass, but did not like at all the much more high frequency emphasis (via line input), that was quite harsher (digital glare) and unfriendly analytical...

Unfortunately, at least for now, I will go back to 7.1.0.
JMRC

PS Audio PP- Devialet 250 - Sonus Faber Stradivari + SAM - Tellurium Black diamond Speaker Cables - Audionet CD (ART G3) - Michell Orbe (SME V, Koetsu Red Signature) - MacBookPro on Yosemite - Audirvana - Airport Extreme & Express
PSA PPPremier-Devialet 250-Sonus Faber Stradivari+SAM- Tellurium Black Diamond Cables- Audionet CD (ART G3 w/ EPS)-Michell Orbe (SME V, Koetsu Red Signat)-Audionet PAM V3 -MacBookPro -Audirvana
(31-May-2015, 12:21)Confused Wrote: I had another go with 8.0 this morning, prior to switching back to 7.1.3 for the reasons in my earlier post.  From start up 8.0 appeared to work ok, with the mysterious "bass rumble" I was getting yesterday gone.  However, this did not last.  At first I noticed a strange bass rumble echo if a track was paused, lasting a second or so.  Then later the rumble returned.  So it looks like the 8.0 issues I'm having appear intermittent.  Plus the issues maybe speaker dependant, as the problems only manifest themselves with SAM enabled.  Not all bad news though, I did try RAM prior to switching back to 7.1.3, and initial impressions are that RAM is a remarkably good feature, with the potential to give a substantial lift in sound quality,  especially for someone like myself, with an extensive collection of records of many qualities and vintages.  Roll on 8.1 with the bugs fixed!

An update:  Devialet have advised that this issue "is software and caused by SAM V2 on the new firmware".  "The next update of the firmware coming out very soon will solve this issue".
(01-Jun-2015, 12:48)Confused Wrote:
(31-May-2015, 12:21)Confused Wrote: I had another go with 8.0 this morning, prior to switching back to 7.1.3 for the reasons in my earlier post.  From start up 8.0 appeared to work ok, with the mysterious "bass rumble" I was getting yesterday gone.  However, this did not last.  At first I noticed a strange bass rumble echo if a track was paused, lasting a second or so.  Then later the rumble returned.  So it looks like the 8.0 issues I'm having appear intermittent.  Plus the issues maybe speaker dependant, as the problems only manifest themselves with SAM enabled.  Not all bad news though, I did try RAM prior to switching back to 7.1.3, and initial impressions are that RAM is a remarkably good feature, with the potential to give a substantial lift in sound quality,  especially for someone like myself, with an extensive collection of records of many qualities and vintages.  Roll on 8.1 with the bugs fixed!

An update:  Devialet have advised that this issue "is software and caused by SAM V2 on the new firmware".  "The next update of the firmware coming out very soon will solve this issue".

Just got back in town after being away for 3 weeks and was stocked about 8.  I guess I'll just tough it out with 7.1.3 until the updated firmware makes it out.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

My first post - cheers everyone. I just got a Devialet 120 and installed firmware 8.0 and have no experience of the previous version. I'm getting the same bass rumble with SAM on as others, but I'm also getting a clicking/popping sound (about 5 beats per second) using the phono input, and regardless whether SAM is on or off. I can already hear it at -10dB to my listening position between tracks, and also it doesn't depend on whether the turntable power supply is on or off. I've set the RAM for the cartridge (Roksan Silver Chorus). Could anyone please check if your phono input is silent or are you also getting similar sounds? Before I got Devialet I didn't hear these clicks at any volume, so I'm suspecting it's probably due to some DSP issues in the new firmware. Thanks!
Hi ekal, welcome! Do you have Wifi enabled for Air? If so try disabling it or disable it for phono. See http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=285
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hi Antoine, thanks a lot - that would seem to be it. I have the 120 connected to my home Wifi network, though I don't use the Air at the moment. I need to try disabling it for phono later today when I get home.
Some musings on firmware V8
After a few hours with the SW 7.1.3, I had to go back to the V7.1.0  (not the V7.1.1. mind you).  IMHO the new beta version added too much of sheen to the treble, with sibilance on vocals and globally receded mids, with thinner sound to vocals and strings. These are not so good qualities of Devialet electronics in general, but got worse in 7.1.3…Of course there’ s the good counterpart, such as the wider soundstage and a clearer and more articulated bass.
I only hope that the new firmware (V8.1?) will try to add greater midrange liquidity and smoother treble (besides correcting all the other software features, that although quite impressive, should come in 2nd place).

Thanks.
PSA PPPremier-Devialet 250-Sonus Faber Stradivari+SAM- Tellurium Black Diamond Cables- Audionet CD (ART G3 w/ EPS)-Michell Orbe (SME V, Koetsu Red Signat)-Audionet PAM V3 -MacBookPro -Audirvana
(02-Jun-2015, 16:36)JMRC Wrote: Some musings on firmware V8
After a few hours with the SW 7.1.3, I had to go back to the V7.1.0  (not the V7.1.1. mind you).  IMHO the new beta version added too much of sheen to the treble, with sibilance on vocals and globally receded mids, with thinner sound to vocals and strings. These are not so good qualities of Devialet electronics in general, but got worse in 7.1.3…Of course there’ s the good counterpart, such as the wider soundstage and a clearer and more articulated bass.
I only hope that the new firmware (V8.1?) will try to add greater midrange liquidity and smoother treble (besides correcting all the other software features, that although quite impressive, should come in 2nd place).

Thanks.

Hi

I had the exact same findings for 7.1.3 as you.  Initially, I went back to 7.1.1, which was the default FW for my amps.  The sound was very well balanced.  I have since updated to 8.0.0 and have found none of the glare or midrange thinness of 7.1.3; and none of the issues that have been documented for 8.0.0 have troubled me.

Is there a reason that you have avoided 7.1.1?  Have you tried 8.0.0 recently?  I personally think they make some undocumented changes to their software without a new version number, but I could be wrong.  Big Grin

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
I find it strange if Devialet would change SQ in new firmware version without telling about it. I understand that main reason for update is improved SAM, and new RAM, ICM, and DPM. All they can change SQ. On the other hand i'm new with Devialet, so I could be wrong Smile
Sonos - Devialet 200 - Dynaudio Evidence Temptation
Its a french way of not loosing face ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"