Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firmware 8.0
Thank you Guillaume! Regarding the topic name, everything is fine with me, perhaps something like AC regeneration or perhaps more specific PS Audio AC regeneration. Edit, or musicfirst's suggestion. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(04-Jun-2015, 19:12)octaviars Wrote: I contacted Devialet yesterday about my sync problem with my D400 and they responded today that this was an known issue to them if you use 8.0 and they are going to release a new firmware in mid june that would adress the problems in 8.0, so now it is only for me to revert back to 7.1.3 and wait for the new firmware.

This is good news, and mid June is a pretty slick performance by Devialet standards.  Having said that, I'm not in too much of a rush, yes I want to use RAM etc, but in the meantime I'm really enjoying 7.1.3.
Well waiting for the updated 8.1 got the best of me.

I stored the 7.1.3 firmware update on my server along with my 7.1.3 config file. Installed 8.0.0 and then loaded my new 8.0.0 config on my SD card. Backed them up on my server for posterity as well.

I left DPM on for now. I have SAMed speakers.

I'm glad to say so far I'm not getting any bass rumble as reported by others. I did notice the bass is more defined or less bloated take your choice of description. I have SAM at 100%.

I'm using USB only, no networking enabled at all. One analog in from my turn table and one from my Home Theater receiver for my mains when watching TV. 96kHz sample rate as recommended by Devialet.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(06-Jun-2015, 05:11)Dr Tone Wrote: Well waiting for the updated 8.1 got the best of me.

I stored the 7.1.3 firmware update on my server along with my 7.1.3 config file.  Installed 8.0.0 and then loaded my new 8.0.0 config on my SD card.  Backed them up on my server for posterity as well.

I left DPM on for now.  I have SAMed speakers.

I'm glad to say so far I'm not getting any bass rumble as reported by others.  I did notice the bass is more defined or less bloated take your choice of description.  I have SAM at 100%.

I'm using USB only, no networking enabled at all.  One analog in from my turn table and one from my Home Theater receiver for my mains when watching TV.  96kHz sample rate as recommended by Devialet.

Ok, experienced the bass echo that someone else mentioned on really low passages.  James Taylor - Gaia @ about the 4:10 mark.

With Sam on the bass is all messed and echoing at the end of the drums moving from right to left.  Sam off it's fine.

I guess I'm running SAM off for a little while.   Angry
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Setting SAM% to 0 made it go away completely it seems.

So now I'm running SAM on again. SAM @ 0%. .5 db boost @ 80hz.

I've kept with 8.0 as I really liked it initially, but things started to fall a bit flat over the last couple of weeks or so. One change I had made was to switch off DPM. I was rather following the general consensus here in that any power efficiency processing must be bad for sound quality. After getting a bit frustrated with the rather bland sound quality I decided to turn DPM back on. That initial magic I heard with 8.0 is back! It sounds a lot better - bigger soundstage, just more colour, punch etc. I've left it like this for a week or so and have not been disappointed once.

I would love to know what DPM is doing. I suspect it's not really a case of saving electricity because the Devialet is pretty efficient anyway and is not really going to add much to the electricity bill. I have a theory that higher temperatures are a bit of an enemy of sound quality with my Devialet, and with DPM on the thermal regulation seems to be a lot better with temperatures rarely getting over 40C. With DPM off it's typically 45C or more and when the weather starts to get a little bit warmer it does seem to get even hotter. DPM does seem to be assisting in that temperature regulation. My Raidho C-1.1s are a bit power-hungry too and I've started to realise I'm probably on the edge of the power delivery requirement for them. DPM could well be delivering that power more efficiently and hence I'm seeing bigger improvements than other people.
I'm running with DPM on as well. I've got SAM on but have it at 0%, I'm using tone controls to get the bass I want, it seems to do a better job now.

Well I just hope that Confused's spy's info is correct and that 8.1 will feature the magic of 7.1.3 (without the slightly harsh edge)

I'm hoping to try an Aurender next week and it will be interesting to find out for myself whether it really is better than Mac/AIR or a Naim NDX
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Confused's spy? Big Grin You mean Octaviars? Wink http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...7#pid18457
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(07-Jun-2015, 20:56)Antoine Wrote: Confused's spy? Big Grin You mean Octaviars? Wink http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...7#pid18457

I guess they both have spies (or maybe they share one?)

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1140&page=36

Posts 354 and 358. Mid-June Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)