Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firmware 8.0
(07-Jun-2015, 17:36)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I've kept with 8.0 as I really liked it initially, but things started to fall a bit flat over the last couple of weeks or so. One change I had made was to switch off DPM. I was rather following the general consensus here in that any power efficiency processing must be bad for sound quality.   After getting a bit frustrated with the rather bland sound quality I decided to turn DPM back on. That initial magic I heard with 8.0 is back! It sounds a lot better - bigger soundstage, just more colour, punch etc. I've left it like this for a week or so and have not been disappointed once.

I would love to know what DPM is doing. I suspect it's not really a case of saving electricity because the Devialet is pretty efficient anyway and is not really going to add much to the electricity bill.   I have a theory that higher temperatures are a bit of an enemy of sound quality with my Devialet, and with DPM on the thermal regulation seems to be a lot better with temperatures rarely getting over 40C. With DPM off it's typically 45C or more and when the weather starts to get a little bit warmer it does seem to get even hotter.  DPM does seem to be assisting in that temperature regulation.  My Raidho C-1.1s are a bit power-hungry too and I've started to realise I'm probably on the edge of the power delivery requirement for them. DPM could well be delivering that power more efficiently and hence I'm seeing bigger improvements than other people.
I also tested to turn DPM back on and I also feel that the sound quality is better. I resently uppgraded to D400 and that is something totally different than having just a D200, not only the power but the sound quality is so much better mayby something for power hungry Raidhos  Big Grin
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Interesting regarding DPM, I might have to give up the lazyness and test it 'on' as well. It's hard work this part of this hobby! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Be nice if we could just press a button or access a web config page. This SD card malarkey is a bit of a faff!
(07-Jun-2015, 21:34)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Be nice if we could just press a button or access a web config page. This SD card malarkey is a bit of a faff!

I agree. My ears love my 250 but my knees dread new firmware releases!!
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I'm with you on the web based config.

I think the SD card's acceptable for firmware updates - for me anyway - perhaps for some its not very convenient to access.

But for settings, it seems incredibly convoluted.

To change the frequency for tone controls, assuming I don't have a spare SD card I have to:

remove the rear cover
eject the SD card
get my laptop
go to the configurator
make the adjustment
write the file
insert the card and replace cover
restart the thing

then see how the setting sounds.
need a few degrees lower on the bass frequency = repeat all the above.

I mean, it works, but its hardly a brilliant design.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(08-Jun-2015, 17:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm with you on the web based config.  

I think the SD card's acceptable for firmware updates - for me anyway - perhaps for some its not very convenient to access.

But for settings, it seems incredibly convoluted.

To change the frequency for tone controls, assuming I don't have a spare SD card I have to:

remove the rear cover
eject the SD card
get my laptop
go to the configurator
make the adjustment
write the file
insert the card and replace cover
restart the thing

then see how the setting sounds.
need a few degrees lower on the bass frequency = repeat all the above.

I mean, it works, but its hardly a brilliant design.

I must say I agree with you. Coming from Linn's Konfig it does all seem a little convoluted. I still have a Linn device in my living room and updating its firmware is all done over the network, so much more convenient!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(07-Jun-2015, 21:21)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Jun-2015, 20:56)Antoine Wrote: Confused's spy? Big Grin You mean Octaviars? Wink http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...7#pid18457

I guess they both have spies (or maybe they share one?)

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1140&page=36

Posts 354 and 358 mid-June Wink

Octaviars spy was clearly first with the information, I have had my spy shot for being too slow.
Looks like a new firmware update is due shortly, perhaps today. I had asked Devialet about progress on solving the AIR issues and received the following this morning from the support team: "We will get back to you as soon as we have more details. In the mean time, please test AIR wifi and ethernet with our new firmware 8.1.0 that should be released today."
cool!
FW 8.1 now is available for download

Did do a first brief listening session and SQ seems to be a combination of 7.1.3 and 8.0
Wider stage and articulated bass with less mid emphasis and more Musicality than 8.0

Will do a more thourough test and comparison over the next days