Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 8.1.2 released
(26-Jun-2015, 16:43)Confused Wrote:
(26-Jun-2015, 05:19)warpeon Wrote: Does this sound better than 7.1.3?

Maybe time for a 7.1.3 vs 8.1.2 SQ poll ?  (I'm assuming 8.1 and 8.1.2 sound the same)

May the battle of the firmware begin!

Or continue?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(26-Jun-2015, 17:50)Antoine Wrote:
(26-Jun-2015, 09:58)salk61 Wrote: [cut]
For this reason I have a suggestion, which has been made by other chat forum members, that two or three different kinds of firmware updates be released at the same time. All of them should have the features of 8.0 firmware but the sound quality in them should be different. I and some members feel that a new firmware update should be released which has the sound quality of 7.1.3 but the features of 8.0.
[cut]

As if the changes (if they exist and are attributed to the right root cause by us 'the customers') in sound quality are intentional...Sorry to say it this direct but these suggestions make no sense at all. I'm not saying changes don't exist and that Devialet should not also listen to their product or product updates but to suggest to offer multiple releases: it's crazy. It would suggest you are thinking that Devialet has, or knows about, some dials to turn. My personal opinion: please let Devialet be and stay the technology company that they are now and at most add a critical listeners panel to the company that can internally discuss any unwanted or unintentional changes in sound quality or character and research the mechanisms behind them to advance things forward. The day Devialet starts being a company like "here's three versions, you decide which one you like best" I'm out. Smile

I also don't think it is necessary or desirable to speak for more people than just yourself. If you'd like to add extra weight to any suggestions you or others made/or agreed with in this forum I myself would add links to the original discussion(s) here.

I agree with Antoine.  I have used products with designers whom I trust, such as Alan shaw of Harbeth, Daniel Weiss of Weiss, Sean Adams of Slimdevices.  All of the above have enough confidence that whatever they release are the best that can be accomplished.  And the last thing they would agree on is there are some vodoo magic lost in the previous versions, unless there are some obvious bugs which they would promptly fix.  All the above three designers would laugh at all the tweaks floating around in the forum, because they "know best", at least about their own products.

I would expect Devialet to have the same degree of confidence in their own products.

And so far my sense is Devialet one of the more open in listening to their customer, support of DoP being an indication of them listening to the market.  

I am very grateful of all the free features added with no charges to the endusers.  The only products I have used with that kind of support without greed is dCS, whose products cost substantially more.
(27-Jun-2015, 05:01)agentsmith Wrote:
For this reason I have a suggestion, which has been made by other chat forum members, that two or three different kinds of firmware updates be released at the same time. All of them should have the features of 8.0 firmware but the sound quality in them should be different. I and some members feel that a new firmware update should be released which has the sound quality of 7.1.3 but the features of 8.0.
[cut]

As if the changes (if they exist and are attributed to the right root cause by us 'the customers') in sound quality are intentional...Sorry to say it this direct but these suggestions make no sense at all. I'm not saying changes don't exist and that Devialet should not also listen to their product or product updates but to suggest to offer multiple releases: it's crazy. It would suggest you are thinking that Devialet has, or knows about, some dials to turn. My personal opinion: please let Devialet be and stay the technology company that they are now and at most add a critical listeners panel to the company that can internally discuss any unwanted or unintentional changes in sound quality or character and research the mechanisms behind them to advance things forward. The day Devialet starts being a company like "here's three versions, you decide which one you like best" I'm out. Smile

I also don't think it is necessary or desirable to speak for more people than just yourself. If you'd like to add extra weight to any suggestions you or others made/or agreed with in this forum I myself would add links to the original discussion(s) here.

I agree with Antoine.  I have used products with designers whom I trust, such as Alan shaw of Harbeth, Daniel Weiss of Weiss, Sean Adams of Slimdevices.  All of the above have enough confidence that whatever they release are the best that can be accomplished.  And the last thing they would agree on is there are some vodoo magic lost in the previous versions, unless there are some obvious bugs which they would promptly fix.  All the above three designers would laugh at all the tweaks floating around in the forum, because they "know best", at least about their own products.

I would expect Devialet to have the same degree of confidence in their own products.

And so far my sense is Devialet one of the more open in listening to their customer, support of DoP being an indication of them listening to the market.  

I am very grateful of all the free features added with no charges to the endusers.  The only products I have used with that kind of support without greed is dCS, whose products cost substantially more.

Also Fuji has been releasing very significant improvements in their firmware updates of the Fuji X line digital cameras,
substantially improving them, and making them almost as capable as newly released models.

(Not so with Sony, who do not do major updates of the firmware, and keep such changes for their new models.)
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(27-Jun-2015, 06:41)miro Wrote:
(27-Jun-2015, 05:01)agentsmith Wrote:
[cut]

Also Fuji has been releasing very significant improvements in their firmware updates of the Fuji X line digital cameras,
substantially improving them, and making them almost as capable as newly released models.

(Not so with Sony, who do not do major updates of the firmware, and keep such changes for their new models.)

And Bryston has had many firmware updates for their superb digital players BDP-1 and BDP-2 (not sure why not many people talk about them, but they are superb).
(26-Jun-2015, 18:03)Dr Tone Wrote:
(26-Jun-2015, 09:58)salk61 Wrote: Here's an email that I sent to Devialet's support time: -

Hello Roger,

I understand what you are trying to say here, but not everybody uses the Audirvana software, some of us use music servers and disc players. In that context something needs to be done in a future firmware update of yours because it is quite unsatisfactory that one has to increase the volume by about 6 dB in order to enjoy DSD files. I would think an appropriate solution would be to have some process built in the Devialet and its firmware that every time the system detects a DSD file playing it automatically and by default increases the volume level by 6 dB. I am reasonably sure that this can be done and the reason I say that is because of experience. In my old system, which comprised of an Ayre KX-R preamplifier, an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC and a Krell 402e amplifier connected to my current music server (Aurender X100) I never had to increase the volume when switching from a PCM to a DSD. Clearly a mechanism existed in the QB-9 DAC that adjusted the output levels in such a way that I never had to change the volume when switching from a PCM to a DSD file. Whether or not DSD is better than PCM is a matter of personal preference; I find the DSD’s files have noticeably better sound quality than PCM and as such others like myself to benefit a better sound quality from the Devialet for DSD files.

The other issue is the sound quality of firmwares 8.0 or later; I am a member of the Devialet chat forum and several members and owners of Devialet are voicing this concern that I have. This concern relates to the sound quality of the Devialets which has changed altogether and most people feel that the sound quality is not good at all like it was with the  7.1.3 firmware. Myself and other members of the chat for have compared the sound quality 7.1.3 and 8.0 and a vast majority of them feel that 7.1.3 was much better.

I think the issue here is that the Devialet is as much a computer as it is a piece of audio equipment and firmware updates can significantly change sound quality. I will also admit that there are a few Devialet owners on the chat forum would like 8.0 better than 7.1.3 so essentially it does, to a degree, come down to personal preference. For this reason I have a suggestion, which has been made by other chat forum members, that two or three different kinds of firmware updates be released at the same time. All of them should have the features of 8.0 firmware but the sound quality in them should be different. I and some members feel that a new firmware update should be released which has the sound quality of 7.1.3 but the features of 8.0.

Most of us feel that this is a brand-new technology and it should be developed as much by audio engineers as by software and computer engineers. The audio engineers need to be focusing on sound quality by listening in their studios and work collaboratively with computer and software engineers advising them of the changes that need to be made to firmware updates in order to preserve good sound quality. I have actually gone back to firmware 7.1.3 because I highly disliked the sound of 8.0
I look forward to your email at your earliest convenience.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devialet absolutely shouldn't be maintaining multiple versions of the firmware.  They have enough trouble getting one version out that isn't bug ridden.  Add the complication of maintaining the configuration tool for multiple features it would be a nightmare for them.

As you said, making 8+ sound like 7.1.3 won't work for the people that like 8+.  I unfortunately I think you'll be stuck on 7.1.3 for a long time which is probably just fine until something comes along and breaks things for you or you want one or more of the new features (DSD as an example).  At that point you'll have to decide to live with 8+ or sell your Devialet and move to something else.

Personally I install the new firmwares as they come out and just enjoy the music.

This is a forum where, at least I thought, people share their views and opinions to enjoy their music and learn from each other's experiences. As such one would hope that this would be done in a cordial, decent and cultured manner. To make statements like 'making no sense at all, Devialet would scream, you'll have to sell your devialet and move on' is only reflective of an individual's character, pedigree and grooming. I'm not going to sell my Devialet or move on because I bought it for a reason and will find a way to get around these minor issues.
What I will leave is this forum and move on because of the reprehensible responses I got from two members here. It's left a poor taste in my mouth and this isn't the kind of company I normally keep.
So long

Antoine Wrote:
The day Devialet starts being a company like "here's three versions, you decide which one you like best" I'm out.

Seems to me Devialet did EXACTLY that within an hour or so of releasing FW 8.1.0 then a few minutes later 8.1.1 and a few minutes after that 8.1.2. It was like Happy Hour for the quicker among us and they were serving 3-fers!

(sorry, couldn't resist ;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
I think the problem with different sound qualities of firmwares is that Devialet themselves don't have 100% control over this either. They may introduce a feature or fix a bug which has a small side-effect on sound quality (different power consumption or whatever). Even the way the binaries are compiled would have an effect on how the processor(s) are running the code and thus an impact on power draw, heat output etc. The same thing used to (and probably still does) happen with Linn firmwares and the same suggestion was often given - what if we could bottle the essence of firmware A or B and make it user selectable?
There is a potential case for emulating the sound of classic amplifiers similar to the way guitar processors do. I would have no interest in this personally.
seems there are people that are always complaining about something. They are complaining that something is not working and is not fixed fast enough, they are complaining that it is fixed but the version number is not increased, they are complaining that the version number is increased.
Noone is forcing you to do an update at all. Simply use the firmware that was originally installed.
I myself are glad about every new firmware. If there are bugs they are usually fixed very soon. And so far it was never a step back in sound quality.
6.x was better than 5.x, 7.x was better than 6.x, and 8.x is better than the last official 7.1.1. And 7.1.3 is not better anymore than 8.1.2 for me. Maybe even the opposite...and it is working without any problems so far. Any Accuphase or Krell or Bryston (or...) amp will never get any update. How boring is that ?
(27-Jun-2015, 09:09)Vivialet Wrote: Any Accuphase or Krell or Bryston (or...) amp will never get any update. How boring is that ?

They are making updates...launching new versions with new, higher prices:-)

Devialet that I bought was 170, now thanks of updates I have 200 with 8.1.2 firmware. So I have the most current version of product. And I didn't paid any extra money for all updates, including extra 30Watt!

Harbeth launched new version od 40.1 just with some changes in crossover and is asking a price 20% higher than before. 2000 Pounds just for a new crossover!
(26-Jun-2015, 10:15)amabrok Wrote:
(26-Jun-2015, 09:58)salk61 Wrote: Here's an email that I sent to Devialet's support time: -

Hello Roger,

I understand what you are trying to say here, but not everybody uses the Audirvana software, some of us use music servers and disc players. In that context something needs to be done in a future firmware update of yours because it is quite unsatisfactory that one has to increase the volume by about 6 dB in order to enjoy DSD files. I would think an appropriate solution would be to have some process built in the Devialet and its firmware that every time the system detects a DSD file playing it automatically and by default increases the volume level by 6 dB. I am reasonably sure that this can be done and the reason I say that is because of experience. In my old system, which comprised of an Ayre KX-R preamplifier, an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC and a Krell 402e amplifier connected to my current music server (Aurender X100) I never had to increase the volume when switching from a PCM to a DSD. Clearly a mechanism existed in the QB-9 DAC that adjusted the output levels in such a way that I never had to change the volume when switching from a PCM to a DSD file. Whether or not DSD is better than PCM is a matter of personal preference; I find the DSD’s files have noticeably better sound quality than PCM and as such others like myself to benefit a better sound quality from the Devialet for DSD files.

The other issue is the sound quality of firmwares 8.0 or later; I am a member of the Devialet chat forum and several members and owners of Devialet are voicing this concern that I have. This concern relates to the sound quality of the Devialets which has changed altogether and most people feel that the sound quality is not good at all like it was with the 7.1.3 firmware. Myself and other members of the chat for have compared the sound quality 7.1.3 and 8.0 and a vast majority of them feel that 7.1.3 was much better.

I think the issue here is that the Devialet is as much a computer as it is a piece of audio equipment and firmware updates can significantly change sound quality. I will also admit that there are a few Devialet owners on the chat forum would like 8.0 better than 7.1.3 so essentially it does, to a degree, come down to personal preference. For this reason I have a suggestion, which has been made by other chat forum members, that two or three different kinds of firmware updates be released at the same time. All of them should have the features of 8.0 firmware but the sound quality in them should be different. I and some members feel that a new firmware update should be released which has the sound quality of 7.1.3 but the features of 8.0.

Most of us feel that this is a brand-new technology and it should be developed as much by audio engineers as by software and computer engineers. The audio engineers need to be focusing on sound quality by listening in their studios and work collaboratively with computer and software engineers advising them of the changes that need to be made to firmware updates in order to preserve good sound quality. I have actually gone back to firmware 7.1.3 because I highly disliked the sound of 8.0
I look forward to your email at your earliest convenience.
Thank you

Well said. Any response from Devialet?

Not yet