Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Firmware 8.1 released!
(11-Jun-2015, 21:27)EDr Tone Wrote: I've started backing up my config and a copy of the corresponding firmware with it.  That way I can bounce around.  I suggest everyone else do the same.

That's obviously very sensible advice but one challenge is that it's not always possible to predict in advance what specific configs might be required e.g cartridge changes, speaker changes etc Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
No apologies necessary of course Manoet! Smile I simply didn't understand the saying, me just a stupid Dutchman! Wink I understand you now though, thanks for the clarification and thinking with me! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(11-Jun-2015, 21:31)PhilP Wrote:
(11-Jun-2015, 21:27)EDr Tone Wrote: I've started backing up my config and a copy of the corresponding firmware with it.  That way I can bounce around.  I suggest everyone else do the same.

That's obviously very sensible advice but one challenge is that it's not always possible to predict in advance what specific configs might be required e.g cartridge changes, speaker changes etc Wink

It's good advice indeed. I save one for each and every change I make and often check the difference(s) with diffchecker.com to double check if I (or Devialet) didn't screw up. I still have all the configs and firmware files going back to 5.x. Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(11-Jun-2015, 21:31)PhilP Wrote:

Obviously Devialet's online configurator won't let you do that but at least you can go back to a config that you liked until you are forced forward with a hardware change or major config change.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Just downloaded and updated my 120 ensemble.

Seamless and excellent.

:-)
Is the magic back?
Did anyone perform critical listening?

thanks!
(11-Jun-2015, 22:35)johnsap Wrote: Is the magic back?

thanks!

For me the magic is gone until I can create a configuration that works with my speakers Sad
I've just finished a couple hours of my go-to 24/96 test favorites and of 7.1.2/7.1.3 (I skipped 8.0 in lieu of 8.1) this is pretty easily my favorite SQ to-date. Even my really weird albums are now exquisitely weird! Of course if everyone else hates it you didn't hear this from me!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(11-Jun-2015, 22:35)johnsap Wrote: Is the magic back?

thanks!

I've been trying to compare 7.1.3 with 8.1 this evening. This is not easy as re-programming the amp (I own a 250) takes a few minutes. I am not sure yet, but I have a feeling 7.1.3 still has the edge... 8.1 is clearly improved over 8.0.0 (8.0.0 sounded much like 7.1.1 in my system) and may even  be better than 7.1.3 in some respects. All traces of lower treble harshness is gone. I know some didn't like this. There is also more detail overall in the new version.
Only long term listening will reveal if 8.1 is as good as 7.1.3, which in my system is... magic!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I can confirm that the Bass weirdness I was experiencing with SAM @ 100% has been resolved.  Yay!

The manual included sure helps explain some stuff especifically SAM %.  At 0% there is 0 bass extension, the speakers are at stock low frequency response.  As you turn up the % you are not increasing the overall bass amount but increasing the amount of bass extension (how low they will go).  Of course smaller speaker you might want to crank it up to 100% but larger floor stander maybe not so much. Room dependent of course.

Right now I'm at 50% SAM and 1dB of Bass boost on the tone controls, stock 100HZ.  I don't need allot of extension, but I do find a little bump in the bass more enjoyable at lower volumes which help me keep the volume down and my ears happy.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2