Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Firmware 8.1 released!
Hello All,

Have been here for a while but never posted yet, recently I purchased a second hifi set (spent a lot of time away from home) consisting of the following equipment.

Devialet 200
Raidho X-1
AudioAanZee Ultraflow streamer
2x JL Audio Fathom f110
Ansuz Mainz 8
Ansuz POM Power cords
Ansuz POM speaker cable

Overall very happy with the set, very fast and musical, amazing how much low frequency output the Raidho X-1's have. (such a little speaker)
Managed to integrate the JL's perfectly, they are not slowing down the Raidho's.

Today also changed to the new firmware 8.1, looks to be an improvement on 8.0, bass has become tighter.
They only thing I need to do is turn down the % of SAM, before 19% was the sweetspot in my room, now this has changed to 10%.
Anything above 70% seems to be just cone movement in my room, 100% definitly also changing the maximum volume level I can go to.

Now just thinking if I should get a 200 slave unit to upgarde to the 400, any comments or experience is very welcome.

Olaf
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
(12-Jun-2015, 09:52)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(11-Jun-2015, 21:38)Dr Tone Wrote:
(11-Jun-2015, 21:31)PhilP Wrote:
(11-Jun-2015, 21:27)EDr Tone Wrote: I've started backing up my config and a copy of the corresponding firmware with it.  That way I can bounce around.  I suggest everyone else do the same.

That's obviously very sensible advice but one challenge is that it's not always possible to predict in advance what specific configs might be required e.g cartridge changes, speaker changes etc Wink

Obviously Devialet's online configurator won't let you do that but at least you can go back to a config that you liked until you are forced forward with a hardware change or major config change.

It would also be much better if Devialet didn't block manual config file edits.

Being as they are pretty basic text files and reasonably clearly laid out,  most people could survive (with community help perhaps) for many years simply through editing the files.  That way, the unit would be functional for years to come whatever happened.  As it is, I sense this firmware/configuration thing could be a real stumbling block in the future.

Yes, the check makes sense in some ways, but in general the only types of users that tamper with such things are advanced users - who would really benefit from being able to edit the files themselves, or even see the arrival of third party desktop editors.  Would probably mean more intuitive software with less bugs too.

I'm not sure anyone (except Devialet) can figure out what parameters like "ADH_BQ_1_L_A" represent ???
If people start messing up with these parameters, and that causes a damage in the amplifier, who would be responsible ?
(12-Jun-2015, 12:02)pthierry Wrote: I'm not sure anyone (except Devialet) can figure out what parameters like "ADH_BQ_1_L_A" represent ???
If people start messing up with these parameters, and that causes a damage in the amplifier, who would be responsible ?

I'd imagine the user - as in any other case where a user tampers with equipment against the manufacturers advice.

And I was thinking more along the lines of enabling/disabling KNOWN things, setting up inputs etc - rather than trying to pick random hard to discern parameters - which are all pretty obvious if you have a few files to work from (and with the WWW at your fingertips).

Anyway, I drifted off 8.1 firmware there….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(12-Jun-2015, 11:35)PhilP Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 10:09)soundstorm Wrote: Hello to all,

I have a D-Premier and i am very happy with the new update. I used 7.1.1 for a long time and went directly to 8.0 but it was horrible so i had to go back to 7.1.3 which was quite ok.

I agree, in fact I could have written exactly the same comments as you about the various versions of the FW Smile

The only downside of the latest SQ improvements to the firmware seems to be that the amps are now even more revealing of the quality of the source  and recording quality. So I will finally have to sort out my source and perhaps try some 'tweaks'.

I think its not a disadvantage, i noticed SQ improvements on all songs i listen to, even with mp3 256
Windows10 => Jriver => Airport Extreme(5.Gen) => 1000ProCI => Canton Reference 2.2DC
AT
(12-Jun-2015, 12:25)soundstorm Wrote:

I have a D-Premier and i am very happy with the new update. I used 7.1.1 for a long time and went directly to 8.0 but it was horrible so i had to go back to 7.1.3 which was quite ok.

I agree, in fact I could have written exactly the same comments as you about the various versions of the FW Smile

The only downside of the latest SQ improvements to the firmware seems to be that the amps are now even more revealing of the quality of the source  and recording quality. So I will finally have to sort out my source and perhaps try some 'tweaks'.

I think its not a disadvantage, i noticed SQ improvements on all songs i listen to, even with mp3 256

Yeah - its not in any way a disadvantage, it just means that I have to be less lazy and finally sort my system out properly.  The thing is that Devialet sounds so good with no tweaks that its possible to avoid much of the work that many other systems require to make them sound good e.g. Naim...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(12-Jun-2015, 12:46)PhilP Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 12:25)soundstorm Wrote:

Yeah - its not in any way a disadvantage, it just means that I have to be less lazy and finally sort my system out properly.  The thing is that Devialet sounds so good with no tweaks that its possible to avoid much of the work that many other systems require to make them sound good e.g. Naim...

so you can spend more time listening to music instead of tweaking Smile
I think the SAM devices did not so much improve than the D-Premier from the 8.1 FW
Windows10 => Jriver => Airport Extreme(5.Gen) => 1000ProCI => Canton Reference 2.2DC
AT
(11-Jun-2015, 18:43)Antoine Wrote: OK, I'm retracting me being happy with Devialet, they f#cked up again and re-introduced a bug previously fixed (back in July 2013!). Angry Angry

The crossover filter settings are not applied when pre-out is on. This means a full range signal is always outputted to the main speakers whether pre-out is on or off. I though the bass sounded a bit fat so I tested with a 20Hz test tone (I do this every firmware upgrade) and the woofers on my mains were moving too much, clear indicator of the issue.

Since there is no workaround I know of I have to go back to 8.0, report this to Devialet and will probably have to wait for 8.1.1... Sad

edit: will try creating a config from scratch first.
edit2: creating a new config from scratch did not help. Reverted back to 8.0: issue confirmed, it works OK again. Reporting this to Devialet now.

Good news for me and of course those others using subwoofers connected to the pre-out output of their Devialets and/or use the crossover settings inside the Devialet.

They got back to me today and Devialet has solved the issue described above by issuing a new firmware package. It has the same version but the IHM file inside is newer and has a date-/timestamp of 12-6-2015 14:13. Anyone can download it from their website using the regular download link.

I've tested it and it works like it should again! Smile

Thank you again Devialet for quickly resolving the issue. I am a happy camper again!! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Happy this worked out for you Antoine... and so quickly as Devialet is many things, however I wouldn't count 'quick' among them!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(12-Jun-2015, 14:15)Antoine Wrote:
(11-Jun-2015, 18:43)Antoine Wrote: OK, I'm retracting me being happy with Devialet, they f#cked up again and re-introduced a bug previously fixed (back in July 2013!). Angry Angry

The crossover filter settings are not applied when pre-out is on. This means a full range signal is always outputted to the main speakers whether pre-out is on or off. I though the bass sounded a bit fat so I tested with a 20Hz test tone (I do this every firmware upgrade) and the woofers on my mains were moving too much, clear indicator of the issue.

Since there is no workaround I know of I have to go back to 8.0, report this to Devialet and will probably have to wait for 8.1.1... Sad

edit2: creating a new config from scratch did not help. Reverted back to 8.0: issue confirmed, it works OK again. Reporting this to Devialet now.

Good news for me and of course those others using subwoofers connected to the pre-out output of their Devialets and/or use the crossover settings inside the Devialet.

They got back to me today and Devialet has solved the issue described above by issuing a new firmware package. It has the same version but the IHM file inside is newer and has a date-/timestamp of 12-6-2015 14:13. Anyone can download it from their website using the regular download link.

Thank you again Devialet for quickly resolving the issue. I am a happy camper again!! Wink

Thanks for this Antoine, not that it affects me personally as I do not use a sub, or cross over filter settings.

Whilst I can applaud Devialet for fixing this issue in short time, I can not applaud the way in which they are issuing it! They should issue a new Version number and publicise it in the same way as they did the release of 8.1. It should not be left to you to broadcast the changes - maybe they will issue a round robin note, but I doubt it!

I believe that this is not the first time that Devialet have shown a laxness in their firmware issues (I seem to recall a similar issue with 7.1.1, which had a number of different dates applied to it).

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(12-Jun-2015, 14:25)brit Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 14:15)Antoine Wrote:

Thanks for this Antoine, not that it affects me personally as I do not use a sub, or cross over filter settings.

Whilst I can applaud Devialet for fixing this issue in short time, I can not applaud the way in which they are issuing it! They should issue a new Version number and publicise it in the same way as they did the release of 8.1. It should not be left to you to broadcast the changes - maybe they will issue a round robin note, but I doubt it!

I believe that this is not the first time that Devialet have shown a laxness in their firmware issues (I seem to recall a similar issue with 7.1.1, which had a number of different dates applied to it).

David
I agree, although I'm not using a sub, it would be much clearer and cleaner to issue version 8.1.1 rather than having multiple iterations of 8.1.0
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France