Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware update 1.3.0.x
My 2 Silver Phantoms with Dialogue arrived the same day the update was available. As soon as I hooked up, everything updated by itself and it took a bit longer than I thought.

But once it was done, everything was smooth. App on iPad, iPhone as well as Mac work as intended. Responsive as you would expect normally The Spark App on the Mac has found all my music and playing music from Spark App is simple too. TV Optical out is connect to the dialogue and it works fine with auto sensing. No hissing, atleast that I can make out from a meter away. I tried with my ear close to one of the phantom and it was quite.

Also, tried bluetooth from Mac to one of the phantoms but the sound was cutting off every now and then. However it was stereo though connected to one Phantom. 

All in all a pleasant and enjoyable shift. I was coming from B&O Beolab 9 and the B&O were noisy / hissing like crazy relatively when no music was played. Oppo BDP-105D was the source. B&O were even picking up the cellular signal noise sometimes and the dealer told me that it was because of the RCA cable connected to the active speaker which must be acting as antenna. I am glad to move on to Phantoms!

My setup has

ADSL box --> Apple Time Capsule (in the listening room Via Ethernet) --> Dialogue (Ethernet Cable) --> Wireless Phantom 
Apple Time Capsule has its own network and all the Spark app devices are connected to the Apple Time Capsule (I guess Double NAT situation) and everything works seamless!

Dialogue smells and feels very hot. Phantoms are quite warm as well.

SQ, as every one else is experience awesome! No coloration and huge / tight bass.
Devialet Expert Pro CI 220 + Marantz SR7013 | Kef Reference 201/2 R200c E305 E301 (5.1.4) |
Marantz Consolette |
I tell you one thing that is definite, the new firmware they have managed to completely ruin the "night mode" they've implemented some kind of bizzare real time equalisation which makes the music sound really weird, you can hear it pulsating and changing things at different frequencies as it battles to keep things quiet and "night time". Totally removes all of the enjoyment from the music. Try it and let me know if I am right, or just going mad.
@ Butuz.....No you are not going mad.

Before update night mode seemed to simply cut low bass (too much in my estimation) while keeping the overall balance of upper bass, mid and treble intact. Since the update night mode is totally destroyed and unlistenable. There seems to be an overall increase in volume for starters, which is strange for a night mode. But worse than that there seems to be a pumping compression effect with the mid range that seems to be frequency dependent - I can't quite pin it down, but it sounds terrible. I didn't use night mode much before but it will never get used now. Some upgrade!!
(10-Sep-2015, 21:52)nigelb001 Wrote: @ Butuz.....No you are not going mad.

Before update night mode seemed to simply cut low bass (too much in my estimation) while keeping the overall balance of upper bass, mid and treble intact. Since the update night mode is totally destroyed and unlistenable. There seems to be an overall increase in volume for starters, which is strange for a night mode. But worse than that there seems to be a pumping compression effect with the mid range that seems to be frequency dependent - I can't quite pin it down, but it sounds terrible. I didn't use night mode much before but it will never get used now. Some upgrade!!

I agree with you, it's sounds very odd, kind of like a 'limiter'. I don't bother with it anymore.
I hope you guys are reporting about the "night mode" to Devialet... not that I'd use it. I don't even know what it sounds/or used to sound like.
Is there a French forum similar to this one dedicated to Devialet? If there is I suspect they would be more in tune with it than this one.
No there is not. A lot of french people are posting on this forum...
I am french, for example.

This forum is the more up to date you can find on Devialet and Phantoms (I know. It's a bit sad. But Devialet doesn't communicate offically, a part for his "AWESOME INCREDIBLE BEST IN THE WORLD MARKETING").
I'm French too; I do not live in France though.
Found another bug in 1.3.0.x

Optical input to Dialog keeps randomly reversing left and right channels.

So far I haven't spotted any pattern to when it does it. It just does it.

Cure? Switch to another input, then switch back. Fixed. Till the next time....

Will report this and the night mode horrors to devialet tomorrow.
(09-Sep-2015, 22:42)karebe Wrote: The new firmware and Spark are real improvements. The user interface of Spark ist much better than before. In the beginning I have changed a lot the sources and there was no way to change the description than setting the system up. Now it can be done without a setup. Still no hissing, no delay with the sound of movies when I use my BD player. Still delay problems with my DVD player and with 192/24 via Toslink. It seems that this version is more stable. After switching the power plug with Dialog and Phantoms on they are found in seconds.

But I have found two flaws: The slider with the current position and length of a track freezes sometimes. Until yesterday Spark showed unknown artist and unknown album on my Windows 10 PC when I streamed from Qobuz. Today only the album is unknown. Let's see what happens tomorrow ...

I like the the new kind of volume control. It is much more precisly adjustable at lower volumes. At higher volumes I don't need so many steps because than I can hear as loud as I want as the government is not at home. Seriously, in my mind the new volume control is good. Maybe more steps in the louder regions would be reasonable. But overall better than before.

The sound is as phenomenal as ever. I am still happy with my Phantoms.

Hi, karebe

So, you're saying that when you play a BD disc on a BD player, you get no optical delay, but when you play a DVD disc, on a DVD player (a separate component?) you get optical delay?

What about optical output from TV when no player is involved? Do you get delay like that?

Do you get delay on lower res than 192/24? Wait...is there video that carries this kind of audio (192/24)? I'm asking because I imagine audio delay can only get intolerable when there's video involved?

On a different note: (Optical to Dialog related)

I've been thinking of using a PS3, and output optical audio from PS3, instead of optical output from TV, when using the PS3, but still connect them through HDMI, and select the optical in the PS3 settings. And only use optical out from the TV when not involving the PS3. I plan to use an optical switcher.

Is that a normal setup?

Thanks.