Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun event involving all Experts
I have two questions :
1) was the level matched between the various Devialet?
2) was SAM active?

Thanks,
Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(31-May-2019, 11:17)Jean-Marie Wrote: I have two questions :
2) was SAM active?

Thanks,
Jean-Marie

SAM was 100 % on all. The levels was not 100 % matched but within reason I think, not louder as we went up the line anyway
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(29-May-2019, 13:10)frejo Wrote: The other day I was attending a fun event in Gothenburg. Speakers were Magico A3, cabling from Shunyata and we started with 140 - 210 - 220 - 440 - 250 - 1000. All I can say is that it also got better in that order, to my ears. I was kind of hoping the difference would be smaller but I now know I have to save up for a 250 at least.

(30-May-2019, 19:08)Jean-Marie Wrote: The order in which we listen is very important. The brain rewards familiarity, therefore if you listen the same tune on two systems that are in fact exactly the same, it has been shown that statistically we prefer the second one.

(31-May-2019, 11:24)frejo Wrote:
(31-May-2019, 11:17)Jean-Marie Wrote: I have two questions :
2) was SAM active?
SAM was 100 % on all. The levels was not 100 % matched but within reason I think, not louder as we went up the line anyway

Although the message of this thread implies a linear progression of sound quality between the units the only solid conclusion that can be drawn from this is an eventful opportunity to share a common interest with other enthusiasts.  As @Jean-Marie was hinting at there are other variables to consider that are being overlooked to take away anything more than just a fun time. It is unfortunate the facilitators did not exercise more control over the parameters as that would have been more telling and useful but then that would perhaps make the time spent less enjoyable.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Picking up on the above, I note that at the OAC Devilaet event in a couple of weeks time they are planning a comparative demonstration of the 140, 220, 440 & 1000 Pro.

Picking up on the above, I presume the suggestion is that this should be performed in reverse order (1000 Pro first), rather than the progressively more expensive amplifier order that might be anticipated? (Plus, personally I would be interested in a 440 versus 250 head to head, and maybe 250 versus 1000, but I doubt there will be time for that)

Level matching is clearly very important, this is a given I would say.

Any other suggestions or anything else to look out for?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Personally I think while this kind of comparison might be great fun, assuming it's sighted there's inevitably going to be an awful lot of expectation/confirmation bias at play. Still looking forward to it, though Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Jul-2019, 12:22)thumb5 Wrote: Personally I think while this kind of comparison might be great fun, assuming it's sighted there's inevitably going to be an awful lot of expectation/confirmation bias at play.  Still looking forward to it, though Smile

Yes, agreed.  Personally, I would very much like to see (not see?) this demo performed blind.

So what we really need is a double blind test, with the more expensive amps going first, for the reasons detailed earlier in this thread..

This would be tricky to organise and would need a degree of luck with the expensive amp going first bit.

Over to you @oxfordaudio …. Angel
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12