Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gecko onto plasterboard / stud wall?
I see my geckos came with plasterboard fixings. Does that mean Devialet designed them with the weight distribution to allow them to go onto stud walls?

Anyone try it? Smile
Probably but I wouldn’t put my trust in them. Given the weight will be accentuated by the distance away from the wall I would consult with a builder. £50 or so to have them do it as against over two grand a piece smashed on the floor.
At the very least, I would use the expanding toggle, or butterfly anchor bolts. I would not trust any fastener into drywall/ sheetrock, plasterboard alone. If you can find a stud, then a conventional lag screw would do the job solidly. There is the leverage as well as the vibrations to consider. And the cost of the Phantoms.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I probably won’t do it as have them hanging from the ceiling, just find it interesting they come with what appears to be expanding bolts in the packet.

Devialet themselves replied saying they recommend solid walls so odd they would put them in there Smile
(11-Apr-2019, 11:30)Jamington2004 Wrote: I see my geckos came with plasterboard fixings. Does that mean Devialet designed them with the weight distribution to allow them to go onto stud walls?

Anyone try it? Smile

I have one of my Phantoms on a stud drywall using the Gecko mount.  The right side of the gecko is screwed and anchored into the stud and for the left I used heavy drywall anchors.  It's been mounted for about a year and so far no problems.
Cool thanks good to know they stood the test of time Smile
(25-May-2019, 18:56)Jamington2004 Wrote: Cool thanks good to know they stood the test of time Smile

I have 3 mounted on Drywall with Geckos since 2016. No issues.
For those that have them mounted, how do you handle resetting/power cycling them?
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Pulling the plug or pressing he power button three times.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(02-Jun-2019, 13:19)ragwo Wrote: Pulling the plug or pressing he power button three times.

I want to mount mine 9ft in the air. I may need to have the electrician wire a switch to each outlet. Hmmm...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante