Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good timing for buying a D200 today?
Hi guys,

I am following this forum since October, as I first met Devialet products back then and was impressed by the sound they produce.

My current Monitor Audio RX8 speakers, however, are not supported by SAM, which is why I was hesitant to buy a D120.

Over christmas, I read a lot of positive feedback about the Focal Sopra No. 2 and I had the chance to listening to a Focal Sopra 2 coupled with a D200 and I was amazed buy the sound quality both created. It was a perceived huge jump from auditioning a Focal Electra 1028 BE with D120 in terms of openness, clarity and detail. I totally fell in love.

And now, I am about to upgrade to Sopra No 2 and D200. 

I feel good about the Focal Sopra 2 as they look stunning, just came out and are basically fully "future proof".

However, I am not sure whether buying a D200 today is a good investment, given that it has been on the market for a couple of years now. It would be a big disappointment for me to buy a D200 today and to read news in Feb or latest in May on the High End in Munich that an upgraded D200 will be released.

Do you guys share my concern or am I just worrying too much?

Regards
Kian
As someone who bought my D200 25 years after I bought my last amp I would say, get one and enjoy the music. If you want the latest, you could just sit on the fence until that latest one comes out. It might be a long sit though.

The Devialet platform continues to evolve with the click of a mouse. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the near future. If you're REALLY in doubt, wait until Munich. If they don't come out with something new then, you can be sure it will be another year. But then you will have lost 4 months of listening to great music through the D200 you can have NOW! Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(23-Jan-2016, 17:41)k1282 Wrote: Hi guys,

I am following this forum since October, as I first met Devialet products back then and was impressed by the sound they produce.

My current Monitor Audio RX8 speakers, however, are not supported by SAM, which is why I was hesitant to buy a D120.

Over christmas, I read a lot of positive feedback about the Focal Sopra No. 2 and I had the chance to listening to a Focal Sopra 2 coupled with a D200 and I was amazed buy the sound quality both created. It was a perceived huge jump from auditioning a Focal Electra 1028 BE with D120 in terms of openness, clarity and detail. I totally fell in love.

And now, I am about to upgrade to Sopra No 2 and D200. 

I feel good about the Focal Sopra 2 as they look stunning, just came out and are basically fully "future proof".

However, I am not sure whether buying a D200 today is a good investment, given that it has been on the market for a couple of years now. It would be a big disappointment for me to buy a D200 today and to read news in Feb or latest in May on the High End in Munich that an upgraded D200 will be released.

Do you guys share my concern or am I just worrying too much?

Regards
Kian

That is always a problem. The introduction of the Copper Gold product, the implication that its advancements will probably "trickle down" and the Roon and MQA developments should make one hesitate. If I didn't have a D200 and wanted one, I would look for a used one and bargain very hard. I am not really good about "reading the tea leaves" but this doesn't seem to be the time to buy a new one unless it was heavily discounted. I know that the Devialet folks discount Roon updates but what about on a new product. MQA? Who knows.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(23-Jan-2016, 18:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote: As someone who bought my D200 25 years after I bought my last amp I would say, get one and enjoy the music. If you want the latest, you could just sit on the fence until that latest one comes out. It might be a long sit though.

The Devialet platform continues to evolve with the click of a mouse. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the near future. If you're REALLY in doubt, wait until Munich. If they don't come out with something new then, you can be sure it will be another year. But then you will have lost 4 months of listening to great music through the D200 you can have NOW! Smile

Absolutely spot on for me. Could not agree more
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Jan-2016, 18:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote: As someone who bought my D200 25 years after I bought my last amp I would say, get one and enjoy the music. If you want the latest, you could just sit on the fence until that latest one comes out. It might be a long sit though.

Spot on for me as well. (SWMBO has a brilliant expression for this she used it about a member of her family) who was "Gripped by inertia"

Never found sitting on the fence to comfortable either, its the splinters that do it.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I bought my D200 last July and was worried just like you that there would be an upgrade just after I bought one.
It's 6 months later now and I'm ok if an upgrade would be released now.

Pim's advise is a good one though, wait until Munich just to be sure.
I don't think they will upgrade the expert line though.
They are aiming for a bigger audience nowadays it seems.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
well, thats not helping my buying decision Wink. I am about to start my parental leave in 2 weeks for 3 months and I want to enjoy those with a new HiFi setup Wink.

I would let my NUC process MQA via Roon and play it via my Devialet DAC. Or is this technically not possible?

BTW:
did anybody else notice that Devialet raised the MSRP for the D200 on their website up by 1.000€ to 7990€? I hope it is a typo as this certainly does not support my buying decision.

Regards
Kian
(23-Jan-2016, 20:26)k1282 Wrote: I am about to start my parental leave in 2 weeks for 3 months and I want to enjoy those with a new HiFi setup Wink.

Go for it then! A perfect reason to get it right away...
Like Pim said: enjoy the music!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(23-Jan-2016, 20:26)k1282 Wrote: well, thats not helping my buying decision Wink. I am about to start my parental leave in 2 weeks for 3 months and I want to enjoy those with a new HiFi setup Wink.

I would let my NUC process MQA via Roon and play it via my Devialet DAC. Or is this technically not possible?

BTW:
did anybody else notice that Devialet raised the MSRP for the D200 on their website up by 1.000€ to 7990€? I hope it is a typo as this certainly does not support my buying decision.

Regards
Kian

They certainly have gone up here in Australia but the dollar dropped to the Euro so that could have been the reason. Either that or they have worked out they are popular and can charge more...
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
i love my D200 but if I did not have one now, I would wait. Devialet the product is excellent but Devialet the company is like most companies and that requires a bit of self-protection. Over the decades I have learned to temper my enthusiasm. It is terrible feeling to own a product that is not "upgradable" or costs too much money to upgrade.

What do the original Premier owners have to say about their upgrade experience?

It is your money and your decision.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.