Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HQPlayer
(25-Apr-2017, 18:16)jfp Wrote: I discover this HQPLAYER when reading the MUTEC topic.
Is this soft to be used with AIR ? I understand it upsamples everything in DSD mode ? why since the original file is not a RECORDED song in DSD ?  how can it be a better result ? (currently I use AUDIRVANA)

I have used it with AIR and Roon, and I can confirm that it sounds really good. I have used it mainly for upsampling everything to 24/192. Probably it just does a bit better job than Devialet's internal upsampling.

Only big issue is that sometimes it makes AIR to crash to bluescreen on Windows. It's probably caused by a bug in AIR but cannot say for sure since Devialet hasn't confirmed this. For this reason I am currently using only Roon and AIR and doing upsampling and convolution in Roon.

There is a free trial available, perhaps you could give it a try?  Shy
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I try it now after reading all the topic pages to get the proper settings.
Yes the buffer cannot be chosen for me 2. So many dropouts for me. Difficult to say if HQP is a better one than Audirvana with these conditions.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
You need to increase the buffer time in the HQPlayer to avoid dropouts. 100 ms buffer time worked for me.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
it did not work as BUFFER part remains in grey. No modification allowed in the trial soft
so it is useless
Sorry to hear that. Don't know why that option is disabled for you... Perhaps Jussi Laako from Signalyst could help you on this matter.

Today I did some comparison between Roon+AIR and Roon+HQPlayer+AIR. Oh man, it sounds so much better with HQPlayer. It sounds so natural, relaxed and real with it.

I actually hoped a bit that there wouldn't be any difference between Roon and HQPlayer anymore, but that's not the case. The HQPlayer is still clearly better in my system.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
I tried another method with a link to download. Same issue

And with the trial you cannot connect either HQP with Roon as explained here https://kb.roonlabs.com/HQPlayer_Setup
I wish I could hear it - I guess my ears/setup just isn't up to it but try as I might I can barely detect any improvement/change with upsampling - HQPlayer or Roon.

I had been running Roon at max pcm and max x2 for a couple weeks each and thought there was a slight edge but having disabled it I just couldn't say I'm missing anything. I felt the same when i tried HQPlayer - although not tried it since the pro upgrade.

To be honest I'm really enjoying the simplification of the setup with AIR. it's been so long I thought it would never happen. Now I've got it I'm kind of glad I'm off the 'chasing a bit of extra SQ road'.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-Apr-2017, 18:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I wish I could hear it - I guess my ears/setup just isn't up to it but try as I might I can barely detect any improvement/change with upsampling - HQPlayer or Roon.

I had been running Roon at max pcm and max x2 for a couple weeks each and thought there was a slight edge but having disabled it I just couldn't say I'm missing anything. I felt the same when i tried HQPlayer - although not tried it since the pro upgrade.

To be honest I'm really enjoying the simplification of the setup with AIR. it's been so long I thought it would never happen. Now I've got it I'm kind of glad I'm off the 'chasing a bit of extra SQ road'.

That's good for you. I wish I wouldn't hear any difference but I have tried it many times and every time I have preferred upsampling to 24/192 in HQPlayer.

Please enjoy from your setup. I really like sound of the PMCs Shy
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
(26-Apr-2017, 18:55)petrik Wrote:
(26-Apr-2017, 18:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I wish I could hear it - I guess my ears/setup just isn't up to it but try as I might I can barely detect any improvement/change with upsampling - HQPlayer or Roon.

That's good for you. I wish I wouldn't hear any difference but I have tried it many times and every time I have preferred upsampling to 24/192 in HQPlayer.

What filter and noiseshape have you settled on in HQPlayer?

Do you always run 192kHz or do you use a filter that only run multiples of the frequency? 44.1 -> 176.4 or 48 -> 192

I run PCM Poly-Sinc-Ext and NS9 right now.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(26-Apr-2017, 20:29)octaviars Wrote:
(26-Apr-2017, 18:55)petrik Wrote:

What filter and noiseshape have you settled on in HQPlayer?

Do you always run 192kHz or do you use a filter that only run multiples of the frequency? 44.1 -> 176.4 or 48 -> 192

I run PCM  Poly-Sinc-Ext and NS9 right now.

Yes, I am upsampling to 192khz always. That sounds good to me (compared with the original files which are most typically 44.1khz). I have also tried DSD64 and 176.4khz some time ago but I think I slightly preferred 192khz.

Currently I'm running "poly-sinc" & NS9 and really happy with that. I would like to try Ext and Xtr versions at some point because so many people are saying that those are the best ones. "Poly-sinc" already sounds so nice that I am not in a hurry to change that.

I am also running convolution in Roon (FIR filters created by Acourate). I would like to try running convolution in HQPlayer at some point but that would require me to create new filters since it's not compatible with the same filters that I'm using in Roon.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland