Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone heard the phantom yet?
Well, because I had non-refundable train tickets, I went to Harrods on Friday to see the Devialet "box" which will house the demonstration area and was assured that the event will definitely be happening on Monday, when I will be going again.

I quick look inside the box before it was locked up showed that there is a lot of work to do for Monday ...

Anyway, I think Guillaume and Rufus are going(?) and I've a load of questions to ask them on white noise/configurator/next firmware/next AIR/master-companion link/DSD/DRC/communication practices/Phantom/Branch/Dialog/new mysterious remote - but if anyone has specific stuff they want asking just PM me.

Whether I get meaningful replies ...
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I'm sure you're going to let 'implode' the Phantom show with your questions ;-)
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(14-Feb-2015, 16:53)IanG-UK Wrote: Well, because I had non-refundable train tickets, I went to Harrods on Friday to see the Devialet "box" which will house the demonstration area and was assured that the event will definitely be happening on Monday, when I will be going again.

I quick look inside the box before it was locked up showed that there is a lot of work to do for Monday ...

Anyway, I think Guillaume and Rufus are going(?) and I've a load of questions to ask them on white noise/configurator/next firmware/next AIR/master-companion link/DSD/DRC/communication practices/Phantom/Branch/Dialog/new mysterious remote - but if anyone has specific stuff they want asking just PM me.

That looks like a fairly comprehensive question list Ian!  I would like to add one question, which would be what exactly "Mid 2015" means as the date for Dialog implementation.  Mid 2015 is of course the end of June, but Devialet's record with any kind of schedule or deadline is rather lacking currently......  I guess the main issue at the moment is will anyone believe any of their answers?
(15-Feb-2015, 13:00)Confused Wrote:
(14-Feb-2015, 16:53)IanG-UK Wrote: Well, because I had non-refundable train tickets, I went to Harrods on Friday to see the Devialet "box" which will house the demonstration area and was assured that the event will definitely be happening on Monday, when I will be going again.

That looks like a fairly comprehensive question list Ian!  I would like to add one question, which would be what exactly "Mid 2015" means as the date for Dialog implementation.  Mid 2015 is of course the end of June, but Devialet's record with any kind of schedule or deadline is rather lacking currently......  I guess the main issue at the moment is will anyone believe any of their answers?

Well, in relation to your first point, they seem to having invented a new diary language - I had a reply using the terminology "end of the first trimester" .

The funniest explanation (as far as this website is concerned) I have seen is on thebump.com website and is (as you might guess) the end of the first third of pregnancy.

I just hope their diary changes do not extend to thinking Monday is Sunday, tomorrow.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(16-Feb-2015, 00:37)IanG-UK Wrote:
(15-Feb-2015, 13:00)Confused Wrote:

Well, in relation to your first point, they seem to having invented a new diary language - I had a reply using the terminology "end of the first trimester" .

The funniest explanation (as far as this website is concerned) I have seen is on thebump.com website and is (as you might guess) the end of the first third of pregnancy.

I just hope their diary changes do not extend to thinking Monday is Sunday, tomorrow.
So by that logic: dividing the year in 3 trimesters in stead of 4 quarters, Dialog will work with the expert-line in August, which is a vacation month in France, so somewhere in September, probably. Confused
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
And here's a "review" in French with a shaky video:
http://gonzague.me/hands-on-devialet-pha...z3SbB5GqKA

Mines still not delivered. Latest answer is that "the production of the Silver is not 100% perfect", which will cause another delay. Strange think is that the Silvers in the video in the review seem fine. The software however...  Confused
Devialet 250PRO - Audio Physic Avantera - AIR-ETH - Roon
(23-Feb-2015, 20:59)invader Wrote: And here's a "review" in French with a shaky video:
http://gonzague.me/hands-on-devialet-pha...z3SbB5GqKA

Mines still not delivered. Latest answer is that "the production of the Silver is not 100% perfect", which will cause another delay. Strange think is that the Silvers in the video in the review seem fine. The software however...  Confused

Was it Spark or Qobuz that was the problem?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(23-Feb-2015, 20:59)invader Wrote: The software however...  Confused

Yes according to the reviewer and watching the video it seems as though Spark is still very much a beta... not always very intuitive and things seem a little clunky/non responsive in places. Qobuz integration seems patchy.

Beautiful packaging though! And the Phantoms do look rather good! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(23-Feb-2015, 22:49)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Feb-2015, 20:59)invader Wrote: The software however...  Confused

Yes according to the reviewer and watching the video it seems as though Spark is still very much a beta... not always very intuitive and things seem a little clunky/non responsive in places. Qobuz integration seems patchy.

Beautiful packaging though! And the Phantoms do look rather good! 

Guillaume

Yes. I enjoyed the video, and am a touch disappointed but not surprised that Spark is not working all that well yet...
Who'd have thought it, superb hardware with imperfect software...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have mine now.

Spark is pretty bad. I have contacted support once and got a very fast and helpful reply so that is good.

At the moment functionality is limited, searching is a bit glitchy and it sometimes uses a lot of CPU resources (100% at times). Seems like this app might have been a bit rushed. The support people said an update was expected in 1-2 weeks. At the moment this is the only way to operate the phantom though. It isn't really ideal.

I'm not using dialog though, so maybe it would be better with that.

*update* I've got a fairly large music library (2TB) and I've just created a much smaller sub-library for the Phantom. Spark seems happier with this.