Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone seen RAAT come up on Roon?
There's a guy on the Roon forum who couldn't get Roon working on his Expert. He tried RAAT! I'm surprised it even came up as an option. He must have some 'lost' firmware version.

Here's a link: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/deviale...r-is/59095

This is what he saw:

Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
No, it's not showing here.

I'm running the latest version 1.6 of Roon on an Antipodes DS. I just see the usual Devialet AIR option.

What I'd really like to see a picture of is the his Roon Audio Settings screen showing the devices that Roon can access, not the Zones list because you can rename Zones. The Audio Settings screen shows the devices and the names you assign to the zones those devices are in. Thot Zones screen image really tells us nothing.

Go back to this post in the thread on the Devialet presentation at Munich last year: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Munich-2...5#pid75145

Scroll down to the 3rd photo you will see the Audio Settings screen for an Expert Pro running a beta of Devialet firmware with RAAT. You will see a listing for a Roon Ready Devialet Expert. Note that the Zone Name says "Expert Roon Ready", not "Devialet RAAT". That's what we're going to see when we eventually get RAAT. There's no mention of the "RAAT" acronym anywhere to be seen and the zone name is editable. The Zone listing in the photo you copied from the Roon thread really tells us nothing other than the fact that he has a zone called "Devialet RAAT" and that's a name he could have given the zone himself. It certainly doesn't prove that he's got RAAT up and running on his Devialet.

And that kind of item in the Audio Settings screen isn't going to show up at any time with the current version of the Devialet firmware/OS software. We need an update to the current firmware/OS from Devialet before we're going to see anything show up in the Audio Settings list and that's what's important because for something to show up in the Zones listing it first has to be listed in the Audio Settings device list, the device needs to be enabled, and the name that will show in the Zones listing is whatever name appears in the Audio Settings list.

Unless that guy has access to a version of the Devialet firmware/OS which isn't currently available to us, that "Devialet RAAT" item in that Zones listing refers to a zone that has been renamed from something else and it certainly doesn't mean that RAAT is available to him.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I did have the same thought about the name change David but the reason I thought it might be that he just happens to have a different firmware version is because he thinks he's got RAAT but then can't get it to work. Why would he think he's got RAAT in the first place?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Back in 2017 Alan Sircom did a follow up on a Devialet review in HiFi+ just after Roon gave us the Roon implementation of AIR. He repeatedly stated during that review that the Devialet was now Roon Ready which, of course, it wasn't. Perhaps this guy read that and believed Sircom. He may have 2 Devialets and he's using AIR with both but he has to find some way to distinguish one from the other so he renames the zone for one of them to "Devialet RAAT" because it's shorter than "Devialet Roon Ready".

Or maybe he chose that name for the zone because he knows that Devialet promised we'd have RAAT last month and we all know Devialet keep their promises.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(28-Jan-2019, 10:08)David A Wrote: Or maybe he chose that name for the zone because he knows that Devialet promised we'd have RAAT last month and we all know Devialet keep their promises.

Yeah, that'll be it  Rolleyes
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Pim,

I think I may have worked out why that guy couldn't get his "Devialet RAAT" zone to work.

I thought that he would need 2 Devialets in order to have the 2 zones he named as Devialet AIR and Devialet RAAT but if he only has one Devialet then I think he's enabled both ethernet and wifi inputs on the Devialet. Some time after I got my amp back with the CI board installed I tried a comparison between ethernet and wifi since I'd never had much success with wifi before the upgrade and had settled on ethernet for that reason. I found that I couldn't get wifi to work at all with the Devialet actually connected by ethernet at the same time but I could get it to work if I unplugged the ethernet cable. I wonder whether he's renamed his ethernet connection as "Devialet AIR" and the wifi connection as "Devialet RAAT". I think one of the changes with either the CI board or the new OS/firmware for it is that if you have both ethernet and wifi connections active the Devialet now defaults to ethernet and doesn't accept the wifi connection. I've got a couple of home theatre devices that work that way, you can connect via wifi if there is no ethernet connection but the moment you have an active ethernet connection the wifi option becomes inoperative.

We'd probably be able to tell what's going on and why he can't get that zone to work if he'd shown us his Audio Settings screen but without that it's all down to guessing.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Just so you know, the thread concluded some time ago after the gentleman in question got things working:

Quote:I tried something different:
  • I completely uninstalled Roon

• I disabled Gatekeeper (may not be necessary)

• I reinstalled Roon

• When Roon launched, I enabled 2 zones: Devialet AIR and Devialet Roon Air
And it worked! I can now play via Devialet Roon Air (although I cannot no longer play through Devialet AIR, which is not really an issue).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Jan-2019, 21:34)thumb5 Wrote: Just so you know, the thread concluded some time ago after the gentleman in question got things working:

Quote:I tried something different:
  • I completely uninstalled Roon

• I disabled Gatekeeper (may not be necessary)

• I reinstalled Roon

• When Roon launched, I enabled 2 zones: Devialet AIR and Devialet Roon Air
And it worked! I can now play via Devialet Roon Air (although I cannot no longer play through Devialet AIR, which is not really an issue).

You're right, he got something working, but I just checked back over the thread and realised that both you and I have missed a very important thing.

In his first post, detailing the problem, he said "I am able to play with Devialet AIR or System Output. However, I cannot play with either Devialet RAAT or Devialet Airplay.".

In  his post reporting the problem fixed he said " When Roon launched, I enabled 2 zones: Devialet AIR and Devialet Roon Air And it worked! I can now play via Devialet Roon Air".

Notice that in the first post he refers to a zone called "Devialet RAAT" but that doesn't get mentioned in the post reporting the fix. In the post reporting the fix he refers to a zone called "Devialet Roon AIR" which is neither mentioned in his first post or shown in the screen shot of his zone listing.

At the very least the zone names have changed but we have no idea what outputs from Roon those zone names refer to since zone names can be changed by editing. Is he still using the same outputs from Roon as in his first post or did something else change apart from the zone name.  It's great that he can now play "Devialet Roon AIR" but he didn't have a "Devialet Roon Air" zone initially and the zone he couldn't get to play was "Devialet RAAT". 

The more I look at the Roon thread, the less I know about what the original problem was and what he did to fix it. If the zone names in the initial post were the same as the names in the post reporting the fix we would know a little more but I'd still have questions about just what exactly was going on. Since the zone names have changed, we really have no idea of what is going on as far as the problem goes.

And then there's Pim's original question about RAAT and whether anyone is getting that showing up on their amp. I think the answer to that has to be that you can't get RAAT to your Devialet as yet and that that zone name had been edited by the person who started the Roon thread.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Interesting my post in the Roon forum generated so much excitement here ! But, at the risk of disappointment, I must say it was a naming issue. I should really have called the zone Devialet AIR in the first place!

I have been playing with Roon + Quobuz for a week or so, but I must say I am quite disappointed with the results. I don't quite like the UI, in particular the horizontal-scrolling (instead of vertical) that scrolls screen by screen (instead of infinite scrolling) and the popups that don't quite act like popup windows and cannot be closed with ESC. I find Focus search difficult to use (for example, I cannot say 'everything NOT classical' or 'NOT in Qobuz" i.e. local). My 20k track iTunes library was poorly imported; switching to import using File tags instead of Roon helped only marginally. Using French tags in iTunes did not help. I find searching in Qobuz is not quite effective to say the least. Overall, I prefer Qobuz's UI which I think is more effective. And Roon's front argument that you can browse by composer and find a nicely display bio with a list of major compositions may work well with non-classical music, but I don't think it does with classical music because: 1/ you know the composers; 2/ there are just so many recordings of the same piece that they are just a mess to search, in Qobuz... or in Roon...

But I must say Roon's implementation of Devialet AIR is excellent once setup and never had any glitches or network cuts, contrarily to the original implementation of AIR by Devialet. And it's quite comforting to know that you are in bit-perfect mode (would be a nice, although probably futile, extension to Qobuz player).

Most important, the sound produced by Roon seems somewhat mellower and more detailed, compared to Qobuz Player or Audirvana+Qobuz, both streaming through Devialet AIR. The latter two producing the same, somewhat harsh sound on this particular recording:

Kissin/DG, Beethoven, Appasionata sonata, 24/92

But is this the true sound of the recording, and due to Roon's better audio processing or implementation of Devialet AIR, or an artifact added by Roon's internal sound processing, which would then not be bit-perfect, despite no DSP processing being selected?
Thanks for the answers. I knew there were naming issues and not only did they make it hard to see just what the problem really was but that mention of "RAAT" really threw the cat amongst the pigeons for Pim. Some of us really want to see RAAT delivered and the thought of someone getting it while we didn't was a very nasty cat to throw amongst a flock of very frustrated pigeons :-)

Brisbane, Qld, Australia