Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone tried the Reactors in stereo yet?
I’m considering getting a pair. If they run with low latency and sound good, they’d be better for a TV setup than Golds. There’s no pretty stands though, right?

I know I can run a pair of golds in optical direct mode by hacking together a series’s if boxes, but I have better things to do than fix Devialet’s apathy.
So there are “Legs” which appear to have a huge footprint - madness when they talk so much about how small the footprint of the speaker is. And they don’t even have a route for the power cable.

Devialet don’t address this obvious question or show any realistic photos on their site. I found a photo here:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/...ax.221951/

Looks awful with the cable hanging out the back.
(05-Apr-2019, 09:20)booshtukka Wrote: I’m considering getting a pair. If they run with low latency and sound good, they’d be better for a TV setup than Golds. There’s no pretty stands though, right?

I know I can run a pair of golds in optical direct mode by hacking together a series’s if boxes, but I have better things to do than fix Devialet’s apathy.

I bought a second reactor recently when I heard that the new Devialet app for stereo reactors was out, and they work perfectly as a stereo pair. The set up is very simple with the new Devialet app for the reactor, and when paired they appear as a single device that you name as you wish. Once paired, you can see the paired device in Spotify connect or in any app with airplay enabled, like Apple Itunes, or even an internet radio app like ABC lounge radio. Once paired in stereo they sound just as good as a phantom pair (I have the phantom golds), even in a large room, and in a small room like a study or a bedroom they will sound better than the Phantoms, provided they are not too close to a corner or the back wall (too much bass). They will also sound great at a lower volume and from a short distance (like on a desk), without any loss of bass output or audio details. Plus they are much easier to use than the phantoms because of the touch dials on top : you don't need to reach for the smartphone to stop the music or lower the volume. On top of this you don't have to bother with the extra dialog box that must be plugged directly to your router for the phantoms to work as a stereo pair. However I experienced a few disconnections. The problem is generally solved by unplugging and replugging both reactors on the same power strip. And they are much easier to carry around the house or even to carry to a second home on vacation than the big phantoms. And there is an option to shorten the audio latency in the new Devialet app, which is great to use with your TV with the optical cable connection.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Thank you!

I did buy a pair and I’m very pleased with them. I wish the app made it clearer which networking methodology they were currently using, but with Ethernet I’m not seeing any dropouts at 60ms which seems okay (though lower would be better).

Hopefully one day they’ll find a way to sync these up with the Golds sensibly, and they would be an outstanding set of rears for a surround set-up.
Eniriop

The Reactors in a stereo pair sound as good as your Phantom Golds? Wow!
(15-May-2019, 18:25)Mr_Bill Wrote: Eniriop

The Reactors in a stereo pair sound as good as your Phantom Golds?  Wow!

When played side by side in the same room at the same level, it is hard to tell the difference. The sound of the gold is a tad "fuller", but the medium band seems less present than in the reactors (the voices for example seem further away from you, but the saxophone has more "body" in the phantom golds) . Otherwise it is typically the same kind of sound, very close to my old system with a tube amp (2A3) and huge horn speakers with double bass drivers: the same warm and velvety sound from low bass to high treble, never agressive or tiring. I add that in a small room the reactors sound even small similar to what the gold sound in a large room, a bit bass heavy but in the good sense since this bass is not mushy but shows more muscle than fat. In my opinion the reactors are the true breakthrough in terms of price to quality ratio and ease of use. Too bad they release the mono version first, as they were reviewed as just another small bluetooth device. In stereo is just another dimension...
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
(23-May-2019, 01:25)eniriop Wrote: When played side by side in the same room at the same level, it is hard to tell the difference. The sound of the gold is a tad "fuller", but the medium band seems less present than in the reactors (the voices for example seem further away from you, but the saxophone has more "body" in the phantom golds) .

@eniriop
I don't mean to ask you to repeat yourself, again and again, but your point above is one aspect of the Reactors that has been discussed and sometimes criticized. You find the 'medium band', meaning the midrange where voices generally are, to be more forward in the Reactors than in the Golds?

There is a bit more 'body' in the Golds but you feel the Reactors do not lack midrange in comparison to the Golds?

Sorry.... I'm just searching for opinions and I like repetition.

Thanks
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(23-May-2019, 02:02)Damon Wrote:
(23-May-2019, 01:25)eniriop Wrote: When played side by side in the same room at the same level, it is hard to tell the difference. The sound of the gold is a tad "fuller", but the medium band seems less present than in the reactors (the voices for example seem further away from you, but the saxophone has more "body" in the phantom golds) .

@eniriop
I don't mean to ask you to repeat yourself, again and again, but your point above is one aspect of the Reactors that has been discussed and sometimes criticized. You find the 'medium band', meaning the midrange where voices generally are, to be more forward in the Reactors than in the Golds?

That's right, they seem to be more upfront in the Reactors compared to the Golds, where they seem to come from further back the sound scene (but that's not a problem to my hear, I rather like it since it adds depth to the soundscape, the voice being usually in the middle) .

There is a bit more 'body' in the Golds but you feel the Reactors do not lack midrange in comparison to the Golds?

More "body", "fuller" saxophone sound in the Golds, probably because the lower medium / higher bass is  slightly more present.

But once again, the overall sound is fairly similar when played at the same volume in the same room. No lack of mids in the Reactor, that's for sure. Also, in a small room (study or bedroom) at moderate levels I would recommend the reactors over the Golds because small rooms often have a bass bump issue that the Golds would aggravate.

Sorry.... I'm just searching for opinions and I like repetition.

Thanks
De nada
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
(13-May-2019, 05:54)booshtukka Wrote: Thank you!

I did buy a pair and I’m very pleased with them. I wish the app made it clearer which networking methodology they were currently using,

Actually you can choose your preferred method between Auto, wifi or PLC in the Devialet app parameters for each reactor (select  parameters and then network interface). If an ethernet cable is connected, it becomes the privileged interface.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Thanks @eniriop

It is especially valuable to have comments from someone who has time to hear both types of Phantoms side by side, in a room that you are familar with. Very much appreciate the additional information.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada