Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever added a song to your favourites after listening for 10 seconds?
Hi Guys,

I just started playing 'Whole Lotta love (Live at today FM)' by Hozier on Tidal. It was one of those songs that you listen to for only ten seconds and you almost automatically add it to your favourites playlist. As for single songs it's there with Mario Biondi 'This Is What You Are', Albert Hammond's 'I'm a Train' and very few others.

I would love to read here about songs that grabbed you in the first ten seconds. Rather than albums, I'm after single songs only. Sometimes an artist just has that one song that grabs you more than any other song on their album. A brief description as to why it grabbed you would be much appreciated.

I really hope this turns into one of those long threads that you go back to all the time to find those little gems we all love.

Try this one as an example; Right Said Fred (Yep, the band that gave us 'I'm too sexy') 'Deeply Dippy'. I love this song for its simplicity and the trumpets. Real trumpets. Not the ones that sound like something that you recognise to be a trumpet because you know it can't be anything else.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi Pim,

After reading your post 4 examples came up : 1/ cello suite #2 by JS Bach (Anne Gastinel) ; 2/ Stand Back by Stevie Nicks ; 3/ Rosanna by Toto ; 4/ the Violin concerto by Sibelius (Christian Ferras). Less than 10 seconds and hooked...
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
Yes, 1978 Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" / Colosseum Valentyne Suite "Lost Angeles and Arthurs Moustache"?
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I can never imaging doing this. I think I am the opposite of this. I nearly always need to listen and o an album or track at least 4 or 5 times before I can form an opinion.
I also sometimes find that the less immediate an album then the more I like it after a lot of listening. This is not always the case though.
Great idea for a thread.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(26-Feb-2017, 13:17)Womaz Wrote: I can never imaging doing this. I think I am the opposite of this. I nearly always need to listen and o an album or track at least 4 or 5 times before I can form an opinion.
I also sometimes find that the less immediate an album then the more I like it after a lot of listening. This is not always the case though.
Great idea for a thread.

In a similar light to this, Tidal has saved me a fortune in terms of buying music that I've gone off after a few plays. If I'm still listening months later, I add it to my 'buy' tag in Roon, and then do a bit if shopping when the list builds up.

I often like something instantly, but I need to hear it through once at least.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Deep Purple-Pictures Of Home. 
What hooked me is Ian Paice's drum intro. The first time I heard it was on a Dansette mono record player, but it went straight to my head and to my heart!  Imagine my joy when they bought out the Remix on the anniversary version of Machine Head and I found that they'd doubled the length of said intro!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
The first track that comes to mind is Take it from the Top by the Planet Smashers. A Canadian ska-pop band that I love. Great bass and horns. Whoo-hoo!

Other, more erudite items would be September Second, by the Micheal Petruciani Trio, off Trio in Tokyo (live). Wonderful, expressive, joyful playing from MP, Steve Gadd on drums and Anthony Jackson on bass.

Finally, a long-time favourite; Serenade for Strings, in E, Op22, by Antonin Dvorak (punctuation missing). Romantic and evocative, medium string ensemble music. Like classical ballet in audible form. Once I start listening to this, I feel that I am interrupting the musicians if I stop before it is over.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
This happens to me quite frequently. Anything from Hells Bells to Gangnam Style  Tongue  can land on my favorites list after listening to the first ten seconds.

Of course the long term favorites are a different story. Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Monophonics: High Off Your Love.

This brings me back to the 70's where my love for music began. I recognise the tune at the beginning from something but I can't put my finger on it. Something tells me it's the theme to a TV series.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(30-Jun-2017, 12:59)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Monophonics: High Off Your Love.

This brings me back to the 70's where my love for music began. I recognise the tune at the beginning from something but I can't put my finger on it. Something tells me it's the theme to a TV series.

Sounds like a take on the theme to Shaft ......
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3