Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphones and the Devialet
(10-Apr-2020, 18:36)Elztalbiker Wrote: Yes that is absolute right?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Thanks for your help and your patience :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Ok so if I take the Devialet out of the chain .
Can I then connect my roon nucleus to a balanced headphone amp ?
Or is this again a similar issue ie a non balanced signal ?

Also not sure if I could still use my roon app on the iPad to control it.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Between them you need a D/A-Converter with USB- Input /Ethernet and a balanced output stage

If you're looking to replace your headphone amp, the first question I'd ask is: what sources do you want it to be able to play?

If you have a lot of sources connected to your 200 that you want to be able to select (on the 200) and then play through the headphone amp, then it makes sense to keep the 200 in the loop. In that case, there is no benefit in specifically looking for a headphone amp with balanced inputs. (No disadvantage in having them, unless it doesn't also have single-ended inputs, in which case you'd need to use an RCA-to-XLR cable.)

On the other hand, if you're only interested in one input, say streaming Roon from your Nucleus, then it would make sense to find a headphone amp that Roon/Nucleus can talk to directly. The headphone amp would need to have a digital input, preferably via USB, wired Ethernet, or Wi-Fi. USB would be straightforward (and I see that the Conductor 3 has a USB input) but might limit the physical separation between your Nucleus and the headphone amp. Ethernet or Wi-Fi would give more flexibility in that respect -- if you go that way, look for a headphone amp that is Roon Ready. With this set-up there is no question about balanced or unbalanced signal into the Taurus, because the signal is digital.

To answer your later questions:
* you can use Roon with a headphone amp that has balanced outputs provided it has a digital input
* yes, you would be able to use the Roon app on your iPhone to control it (the headphone amp would be a separate Roon "zone")
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Interesting Ian, thank you.
My tv and the nucleus are the only sources connected to the Devialet, however I never use headphones whilst watching tv .

It gets a little more complicated as I may have to take the 200 out of the headphone set up when I move , but this will also mean the nucleus would not be close to the headphone amp either
Do you know what I am think oh now . With these ageing ears is a balanced headphone amplifier going to make much of a difference to me .
I mean I have a balanced amp now and I am not even using it in balanced mode and it sounds tremendous
Maybe looking for a Roon Ready headphone amp with Ethernet/Wi-Fi inputs would be a good plan, then. Chances are it would also have USB input anyway. If it would be helpful I'll have a scout around and PM you if I see anything that looks like it might fit the bill based on what you've said so far.

ETA: yes, personally I wouldn't get hung up over the difference between balanced and single-ended headphone connections.
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks Ian but don’t put yourself out.
The more I think about it maybe I should wait till I move so I know what equipment will go where’.
I did a little test the other day to compare the Devialet in the chain and also taking it out.
It was a pretty overwhelming leave it in. Maybe I need to think consider leaving my HP amp in the same room .

As I have the hd800s they need plenty of juice to get them going

The amp I have is very very good ......but you know what this hobby is like .
https://www.headamp.com/products/focal-arche

Roon ready, DAC and symmetrical connect to headphone

Looks good, but doesn't have network input as far as I can see - so not Roon Ready, but can be used with Roon (e.g. via USB) - or did I miss something?
Warwickshire, UK