Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! How to use a D250 as ONLY a Preamp
I have the digital output assigned as a preout but only get loud white noise. Is there another setting? Trying to test an external amp and don't have another preamp in the house.
I am currently using a single D250 as pre. Just set the outputs from the configurator. No further settings required.
And the performance as dac/pre is really good

Just make sure you have plugged your cables to the correct terminal.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(10-May-2015, 20:23)Kunter Wrote: I am currently using a single D250 as pre. Just set the outputs from the configurator. No further settings required.
And the performance as dac/pre is really good

Just make sure you have plugged your cables to the correct terminal.

Exactly what I've done. configured the digital out 1 AND 2 beside the aes SOCKET AS PREOUT AND GET NOTHING BUT WHITE NOISE. eVEN TRIED TURNING THE SPEAKERS OFF. dOES THE PREOUT OPTION IN THE SPEAKERS CONFIGURATION DO ANYTHING?
The pre-out option in the speaker section of the configurator allows you to configure different filter options for the main speaker outputs depending on whether the pre-out is enabled or disabled. For example, when the pre-out is used to drive a sub, you can high-pass filter the speaker output when the pre-out is enabled, but have full-range output to the speakers when the pre-out is disabled. This is helpful when the pre-out is enabled or disabled by a button on the remote control.

In short, this part of the speaker configuration in itself shouldn't affect what the pre-out is doing.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Going to have to give up there's horrible white, pink or brown noise that doesn't change with the volume. Music can be heard but is obviously unlistenable.
Strange. Are you sure the amplifier itself is working OK? Are the interconnects known to be good?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yep swapped in a preamp and no issues at all.
It's not just that your config hasn't taken and they still work as digital inputs? Try a config with a different name so you can at least see the config has taken effect. I've got mine connected through to a little midi set in the garage and it worked fine from the word go. (as a no-volume change output)
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yep tried a number of different configs. No joy.
I am using the exclusively the preout function (in my case filtered low pass) and have no problem. All inputs must be set to allow preout. Did you dedicate preout on/off on your remote (I do not)? I previous firmware versions the preout only worked after the SD-card was inserted and the amp switched off and on again.