Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hifi Pig 220 Pro Review
We need to have an open mind here.  I think most of us are so used to seeing glowing reviews for Devialet that now, long after the honeymoon is over, we have become defensive about what "they" are saying lately.  Let's face it, the Devialet is no longer the market disrupter it once was and as such has become somewhat complacent.  If we assume Devialet had the right intentions and in fact made a better performing product could it be that it has become too good?

When I met with Alan Clark (Linn/Classe) our conversation gravitated towards a discussion of the merits of sound quality.  I mentioned a few things about the character (insert emotion) that an pre-amplifier and/or power amplifier convey by using terms like "warmth" and so forth.  Soon after which he seemed to become a bit incensed (I think mostly having to do with his objection to where the company was heading, but I digress).  He responded by telling me "it should be as transparent and colorless as possible".  Maybe the Pro series has achieved this illustrious goal and people just aren't quite use to it yet?
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
(25-Mar-2019, 11:23)RebelMan Wrote: We need to have an open mind here.  I think most of us are so used to seeing glowing reviews for Devialet that now, long after the honeymoon is over, we have become defensive about what "they" are saying lately.  Let's face it, the Devialet is no longer the market disrupter it once was and as such has become somewhat complacent.  If we assume Devialet had the right intentions and in fact made a better performing product could it be that it has become too good?

When I met with Alan Clark (Linn/Classe) our conversation gravitated towards a discussion of the merits of sound quality.  I mentioned a few things about the character (insert emotion) that an pre-amplifier and/or power amplifier convey by using terms like "warmth" and so forth.  Soon after which he seemed to become a bit incensed (I think mostly having to do with his objection to where the company was heading, but I digress).  He responded by telling me "it should be as transparent and colorless as possible".  Maybe the Pro series has achieved this illustrious goal and people just aren't quite use to it yet? 
When any amplifying device is fully transparent and colourless then everything we hear must be as a result of the recording unless what we hear is present in every recording, then its a result of the preceding gear. All that’s going on in this review is that the Devialet is revealing shortcomings in the upstream chain and the reviewer has attributed that incorrectly to the Devialet. If I was a manufacturer and managed to achieve something as transparent and neutral as the Devialet, that would annoy me.  If I was a potential buyer and I read the review under discussion I would probably dismiss the Devialet as I don’t like the characteristics she describes, which were inherent in old digital gear. In reality the Devialet has non of those characteristics and its the review that’s of poor quality.
(28-Mar-2019, 10:56)Blackmorec Wrote: When any amplifying device is fully transparent and colourless then everything we hear must be as a result of the recording unless what we hear is present in every recording, then its a result of the preceding gear. All that’s going on in this review is that the Devialet is revealing shortcomings in the upstream chain and the reviewer has attributed that incorrectly to the Devialet. If I was a manufacturer and managed to achieve something as transparent and neutral as the Devialet, that would annoy me.  If I was a potential buyer and I read the review under discussion I would probably dismiss the Devialet as I don’t like the characteristics she describes, which were inherent in old digital gear. In reality the Devialet has non of those characteristics and its the review that’s of poor quality.

It was a balanced review but not the kind that leans to your liking perhaps.  While I didn't care to see the word "clinical" mentioned at times I didn't care to see the word "warmth" frequently used either.  The reviewer does make it clear that the Devialet is transparent to the source (both analog and digital) and that "Some might, however, find the sound just a little too perfect..."  But if that's what she had in mind when she says "clinical", then I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I agree that the quality of the recording will bear the brunt of the sound and that the equipment she used on the frontend will impart some character too and therefore I would not buy into her pitch exclusively.  However, it would not be prudent to dismiss the article either just because you don't like the conclusions.  There are others making similar observations.  This is why it is so important to audition the gear before making a purchase but I realize that isn't always possible and that unfortunately gives articles like this more leverage to the potential buyer than it probably should.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
There wouldn’t be much of a sound industry if a reviewer couldn’t impart their own subjective sense of whether the final result was warm, clinical, too perfect or otherwise. I agree that “clinical” is as close to the definition of accuracy and transparency that I personally seek and am happy with that!

Ultimately, we seek to tinker and tweak as nothing is ever perfect; even if there was “perfect” gear that was 100% true to the sound dynamics of the original recording and producer’s intentions, we would still not want our audiophile journey to end. On to the next review and the next upgrade!
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY