Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long are your speaker cables?
When connected to your Devialet/DevialetPro? 

Specifically, if you don't have it dual monoblocked. I have a large room and the speakers are spread out about 9-10 feet apart. This necessitates long speaker cables for me (about 14 feet long) and I'm not using fancy cables by any means. 

If I'm looking to upgrade cables, I'd be looking at spending $$$ for these but would also look into getting another 220 Pro CI instead, having dual mono configuration and then only needing shorter speaker cables. This would add to the outlay but I'd have more power and probably better overall sound due to the dual mono configuration.

Curious about your thoughts here. Thanks!
20m is each side , bluejeans Belden

Devialet 800
YG acoustics
Zero issues or complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's 2.5 metres (8.5 feet) between the inner faces of my speakers and a bit more distance I use 2.5 metre cables. I'm guessing that if you need longer cables than the distance between your speakers you've got your 220 and the rest of your system off to one side rather than between the speakers.

Is there a reason for not putting the system between the speakers? I know a lot of people recommend against it because of concerns about reflections from the system but if you have a low equipment rack, no higher than around 2 feet or so, then any reflections from the front of the equipment are going to be reflected down to the floor where carpet or a rug will absorb them. Reflections from the side of the gear will bounce back to the wall behind the speakers and reflections from the top of the equipment will be reflected up towards the wall behind the speakers. In practice reflections from the equipment are very rarely a problem and having the system between the speakers allows for shorter speaker cables.

If your sources are all network based (no disc players, analog or digital), then you're free to leave the source components off to the side and put the amp on an amp stand between the speakers. Amp stands only raise the amp a few inches above the floor and there will be no reflection problems at that height. If you want to go dual mono at any stage you could use 2 amp stands side by side to keep the amps placed low.

You have options but they're based on where you want to locate your source component and amp and whether you can separate the sources from the amp. There may be physical reasons in your room for not putting components between the speakers in which case you're stuck with needing longer cables but you can use shorter cables if you choose to put the amp between the speakers.

There is one other solution to reduce cable length. Years ago I used to hang out on a forum where a speaker designer was a regular contributor. He used to regularly say in response to queries like yours that you can use cables of different lengths though he recommended that the longer cable be no longer than twice the length of the shorter cable. Buying a pair of cables with one cable shorter than the other can be difficult but if you ask your dealer they may be able to source such a pair of cables from the distributor or manufacturer. It's worth a try. If your speaker cables are 14 ft long and the speakers are 9-10 feet apart, you should be able to use a pair of cables with one cable being 14 foot long and the other being 8 foot long. If you could get such a pair then that should reduce the cost of the cables somewhat but not as much as being able to use a pair of 8 foot cables would. In order to get that kind of reduction in price you'd have to move the amp between the speakers.

Take a look at my system photo here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-David-A-s-system . The system is between the speakers on a low equipment rack. The top of the Nucleus+ server on the top shelf is an inch or two less than 2 feet above the floor. There are no reflection problems with the rack and components being that low. Having a tall equipment rack with equipment at ear height or somewhat above/below that can be a problem but if you can see the top of the top component on the rack then it's highly unlikely you'll ever notice a problem from having the equipment between the speakers.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
9 Ft biwired speaker cable from 440-Pro. I actually need 6 Ft but the cables were purchased when I was using my system in another country and sharing my audio in a regular Living Room hence WAF forced me to buy longer cables. Today, I am lucky to have my dedicated room thus 6 Ft would suffice.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Thanks for all the responses so far! Much appreciated.

(18-Mar-2020, 22:49)David A Wrote: I'm guessing that if you need longer cables than the distance between your speakers you've got your 220 and the rest of your system off to one side rather than between the speakers.
Correct!

(18-Mar-2020, 22:49)David A Wrote: Is there a reason for not putting the system between the speakers?
I have a fireplace that we use for about 4-5 months out of the year. That is center in between the speakers and even a low equipment rack would potentially be subjected to a lot of heat from it. So I've decided to situation the equipment rack and gear on the LEFT side of the speakers. This necessitates a longer cable from the right speaker to the Devialet.

(18-Mar-2020, 22:13)no32 Wrote: 20m is each side , bluejeans Belden
Devialet 800
YG acoustics
The Bluejeans cable works well with your setup? Have you had no desire to listen to more expensive cables? Just curious!
(19-Mar-2020, 01:34)sfdude Wrote: Thanks for all the responses so far! Much appreciated.

(18-Mar-2020, 22:49)David A Wrote: I'm guessing that if you need longer cables than the distance between your speakers you've got your 220 and the rest of your system off to one side rather than between the speakers.
Correct!

(18-Mar-2020, 22:49)David A Wrote: Is there a reason for not putting the system between the speakers?
I have a fireplace that we use for about 4-5 months out of the year. That is center in between the speakers and even a low equipment rack would potentially be subjected to a lot of heat from it. So I've decided to situation the equipment rack and gear on the LEFT side of the speakers. This necessitates a longer cable from the right speaker to the Devialet.

(18-Mar-2020, 22:13)no32 Wrote: 20m is each side , bluejeans Belden
Devialet 800
YG acoustics
The Bluejeans cable works well with your setup? Have you had no desire to listen to more expensive cables? Just curious!

I listened to many cables , some in the $ 10k area, the deference in the sound was obvious, sometimes the presentation was bigger but at the end of day none was marginally more enjoyable.

I had very good results with kimber
2 x 8TC per side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DHLabs Q-10 - 7m right side, 3m left side. Exceptional cables.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(19-Mar-2020, 04:20)Jim_Anderson Wrote: DHLabs Q-10 - 7m right side, 3m left side.  Exceptional cables.

Ha. I just sold a pair of the Q-10 Signatures yesterday. They were not long enough so getting funds to think about alternative solutions (cable or another Dev 220). I have a pair of Schmitt speaker cables which were quite reasonably priced for the quality.

Given that they are different lengths, you haven't noticed any difference out of either speaker?
Mine are different length too. 5m from one side and 3m from the other.
These are absolute stock speaker cable (sufficient gauge, but nothing special).

I cannot hear any difference between the two speakers. I made a rough calculation one day and came to the conclusion that the difference was within the dispersion of characteristics between the left and right speaker (despite mine being sorted and paired components) as well as below the differences brought by the geometry of the room.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(19-Mar-2020, 01:34)sfdude Wrote: I have a fireplace that we use for about 4-5 months out of the year. That is in the center in between the speakers and even a low equipment rack would potentially be subjected to a lot of heat from it. So I've decided to situation the equipment rack and gear on the LEFT side of the speakers. This necessitates a longer cable from the right speaker to the Devialet.
I have a similar  layout to you, with a central fireplace and my equipment rack in the left hand alcove, with the left hand speaker to the left of the equipment rack. Because the speaker cable to the right speaker runs underneath the floor, I need 6 metres of cable. I could have gone for a three meter cable to the left hand speaker, but when I bought my cables, I was under the incorrect impression that both runs had to be the same length, so I’ve got 6 metres each side.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England